Highland Handsomes -vs- Paisley Pansies

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Your assessment of your team is 100% correct while Baird's work rate is not in question he has never been a goal machine I remember him as a young player at Saints. If you had a natural goal scorer you would be top four no problem. Will watch with interest who Robertson brings in during the January window.

He misses a clear one on one pretty much every game. Both him and Bell up front seem to work quite well together but if we are chasing games and need to lob long balls up to them it's not really going to be very effective. Oakley gives us something different but doesn't seem any great shakes and the Schusszen guy is honking and I've heard a few folk say we are trying to punt him already after just a few months. Basically if we ever win games it's normally something like 1  or 2 nil. If the opposition score the opener as Saints did on Saturday we will struggle to take much from the game after that.

19 hours ago, Bobby_F said:

Pretty sure PUSH=Yellow, PUNCH/ELBOW=Red.

5 hours ago, Kingston Bud said:

I certainly wouldn’t say Samson’s was as clear as a red as you are likely to see. As it’s a push not a punch.

Where do you get this push/punch nonsense from?  You cannot lift your hands to an opponent, regardless if it's a punch or a push. The ball is out of play Samson runs 10 yards to push a Caley player who has his back to him. It's a red all day long.

On 26/11/2017 at 13:13, glenburn bud said:

I very much doubt that any team in this division will get away with bullying saints.

Does 12/08/17 ring any bells :whistle i'm sure it wont as you'll want to forget all about that day :thumsup2

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Where do you get this push/punch nonsense from?  You cannot lift your hands to an opponent, regardless if it's a punch or a push. The ball is out of play Samson runs 10 yards to push a Caley player who has his back to him. It's a red all day long.

Sorry but you're wrong.

Here are the actual rules rather than the one pundits who use phrases like 'raising your hands' go by:

SENDING-OFF OFFENCES

A player, substitute or substituted player who commits any of the following offences is sent off:

• denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (except a goalkeeper within their penalty area)
  • denying a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent whose overall movement is towards the offender's goal by an offence punishable by a free kick (unless as outlined below)
  • serious foul play
  • spitting at an opponent or any other person
  • violent conduct
  • using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures
  • receiving a second caution in the same match

The red card that normally comes with 'raising your hands' is for violent conduct.

Pushing someone is not the same as punching them.

I will say though that Samson's push had a lot of weight behind it, but if it had been a punch in the back rather than a push I'm sure he'd have been off.

2 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

Sorry but you're wrong.

Here are the actual rules rather than the one pundits who use phrases like 'raising your hands' go by:

SENDING-OFF OFFENCES

A player, substitute or substituted player who commits any of the following offences is sent off:

• denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (except a goalkeeper within their penalty area)
  • denying a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent whose overall movement is towards the offender's goal by an offence punishable by a free kick (unless as outlined below)
  • serious foul play
  • spitting at an opponent or any other person
  • violent conduct
  • using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures
  • receiving a second caution in the same match

The red card that normally comes with 'raising your hands' is for violent conduct.

Pushing someone is not the same as punching them.

I will say though that Samson's push had a lot of weight behind it, but if it had been a punch in the back rather than a push I'm sure he'd have been off.

I'm not sure how that proves I'm wrong.  He ran to a player and pushed him as the guy was walking away with enough force to make him fall into other players around him all whilst the ball was out of play. It's easily violent conduct. Nothing in the rules states that pushes are only a yellow card. The ref got that wrong IMO.

On 25/11/2017 at 17:09, djchapsticks said:

Gav Reilly is not and never will be good enough. 

Only the 16 goals before December is a disgraceful return. :lol:

Half of them came against Airdrie, Lothian Thistle and Hearts' youth team. He's managed just six in the league.

edit- He's still done really well so far but racking up the goals against diddies in the cup can be slightly misleading. I'm sure he's providing more than just goals to the team as well.

7 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Genuine question: was it definitely Vigurs' face or head that Samson 'struck'?

I couldn't tell from the clip and thought it might have been his upper back/shoulder. Which, given what you've posted, would explain the yellow.

Edit: just watched it again and it 100% wasn't his face or head. So based on what you've said there, makes 100% NOT violent conduct. :thumsup2

I've only seen it once, on an iPad screen, but I thought Samson came out and pushed him in the back.

If he did indeed push him on the head, then he was lucky to escape a red.

12 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I'm not sure how that proves I'm wrong.  He ran to a player and pushed him as the guy was walking away with enough force to make him fall into other players around him all whilst the ball was out of play. It's easily violent conduct. Nothing in the rules states that pushes are only a yellow card. The ref got that wrong IMO.

You said "You cannot lift your hands to an opponent, regardless if it's a punch or a push. "

I pointed out that was wrong.

You're now arguing that it was violent conduct.  Arguable, and certainly close given the force of the push, but the ref - who had a good view - decided it wasn't violent and gave a yellow.

1 minute ago, Bobby_F said:

I've only seen it once, on an iPad screen, but I thought Samson came out and pushed him in the back.

If he did indeed push him on the head, then he was lucky to escape a red.

Even if he hasn't pushed Vigurs on the head he could/should still have walked under the first part of the violent conduct rule (excessive force against an opponent when not challenging for the ball).

7 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

You said "You cannot lift your hands to an opponent, regardless if it's a punch or a push. "

I pointed out that was wrong.

You're now arguing that it was violent conduct.  Arguable, and certainly close given the force of the push, but the ref - who had a good view - decided it wasn't violent and gave a yellow.

I wasn't saying the rule stated that "you can't lift your hands to an opponent", I was saying that by lifting your hands to an opponent it is violent conduct but looking back at my post my wording could be better, so apologies. It's violent conduct for me though.

11 minutes ago, RiG said:

Even if he hasn't pushed Vigurs on the head he could/should still have walked under the first part of the violent conduct rule (excessive force against an opponent when not challenging for the ball).

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

I wasn't saying the rule stated that "you can't lift your hands to an opponent", I was saying that by lifting your hands to an opponent it is violent conduct but looking back at my post my wording could be better, so apologies. It's violent conduct for me though.

If you want to see that as a red you clearly have to argue it as violent conduct.

I, and the ref, don't agree.

Not much point in discussing further.

43 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Half of them came against Airdrie, Lothian Thistle and Hearts' youth team. He's managed just six in the league.

edit- He's still done really well so far but racking up the goals against diddies in the cup can be slightly misleading. I'm sure he's providing more than just goals to the team as well.

6 in 13 in the league is still a cracking ratio.

2 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Any forward scoring at around one every two games is doing really well.

End of the day as well, he won't be remembered for who the goals were against but how many there were. 

Yes, 4 against Lothian Thistle is fair enough but it's still a confidence thing . Look at his goal on Saturday. Could you have seen him with the confidence to do that for you guys last season?

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

End of the day as well, he won't be remembered for who the goals were against but how many there were. 

Yes, 4 against Lothian Thistle is fair enough but it's still a confidence thing . Look at his goal on Saturday. Could you have seen him with the confidence to do that for you guys last season?

I was a better option off the bench than Reilly towards the end of last season.

Good luck to him. It didn't work for him at Hearts or EEP but he's doing well just now and you lot are likely going top of the league again tomorrow night.

21 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

I was a better option off the bench than Reilly towards the end of last season.

Good luck to him. It didn't work for him at Hearts or EEP but he's doing well just now and you lot are likely going top of the league again tomorrow night.

Steady now!

So you are saying any form of push is a red card? I’m sorry but that’s nonsense. It’s simply doesn’t happen even if it is the written rules.

I happened to agree that Sammy should have walked but I’ve seen clearer red cards.

I see he is saying he grabbed him and didn’t push him. That’s probably as nonsense as the ICT players explanation for the 100% penalty.

Just now, Poet of the Macabre said:

You just need to avoid defeat at home to Livingston. You have five wins and a draw from your six home matches so far.

Livi have done really well this season but they're certainly underdogs tomorrow.

Yeah, but... we are St Mirren :D!

Archived