Rangers vs St Johnstone 16th December

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Forest of Dean said:

Interesting game really.

Its not, you'll win this fairly easily. We just played 45 minutes at home, with virtually four players up front, against a team happy to sit on the edge of their own box, and we didn't even manage a shot. If your capable of getting a cross in the box, and someone is capable of heading the ball, you'll get two or three without breaking sweat. 

We'll likely bring about ten fans to this, btw.

Just now, bennett said:

We'll still be missing several key players for this one and bare bones in midfield, so it's going to be hard going against a good counter attacking side.

We've not scored a goal on the counter all season, probably because we've no pace in the team. 

We'll set up with about nine defensive players, sit off you until you score. Push up a wee bit and concede a stupid goal, then it'll be a case of how many Rangers fancy getting. I doubt you'll shit the bed at the thought of scoring four like Aberdeen did tonight, so this could legitimately end about 5-0. We're just stumbling our way to January and hoping things aren't critical by then.

19 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Its not, you'll win this fairly easily. We just played 45 minutes at home, with virtually four players up front, against a team happy to sit on the edge of their own box, and we didn't even manage a shot. If your capable of getting a cross in the box, and someone is capable of heading the ball, you'll get two or three without breaking sweat. 

We'll likely bring about ten fans to this, btw.

It'd better be a good game since I'll have to drag myself hungover to this one!

Just now, Forest of Dean said:

It'd better be a good game since I'll have to drag myself hungover to this one!

If you enjoy watching maimed seal pups being clubbed over the head for two hours you'll have a great time.

9 hours ago, Forest of Dean said:

Animal cruelty is right up my street so looking forward to it.

Why do I get the impression you're not joking ?

Then again you might actually be telling the truth, after all the bears have had a lot of pain inflicted upon them over the last 6 years.

I'd usually muse on the team selection in these threads but when you reflect on last night in particular, it doesn't matter what eleven players are picked on Saturday, I just want to see the basics displayed and a proper St Johnstone performance. Although we ultimately lost the game, we fought back from 2-0 down to draw level at Ibrox in March, that's the sort of character I want to see on display. Until we get back to replicating what we've done well in recent years, it won't matter what system or players are deployed.

No league win at Ibrox since 1971. Stranger things have happened...

1 hour ago, Radford said:

I'd usually muse on the team selection in these threads but when you reflect on last night in particular, it doesn't matter what eleven players are picked on Saturday, I just want to see the basics displayed and a proper St Johnstone performance. Although we ultimately lost the game, we fought back from 2-0 down to draw level at Ibrox in March, that's the sort of character I want to see on display. Until we get back to replicating what we've done well in recent years, it won't matter what system or players are deployed.

No league win at Ibrox since 1971. Stranger things have happened...

The issue for me is I think that was pretty well our best XI last night.  The only real change I'd have had was Millar (at his fit best form) for Paton, but it seems pretty clear that's not going to happen any time soon. Not really sure where we go from here.

We really need to scramble a couple of wins from these four remaining games this year and rebuild as best we can in January.

I'm heading through to this for some reason. I've never seen us win at ibrox, unfortunately missed both league cup victories. This would appear to be an unlikely match for that to change the way we've been playing. Would be a great game to take something from to give the squad a much needed confidence boost.

I've no idea how we'll line up, but I'd bring Mannus back in, and Alston who has done well against Rangers in the past. I haven't heard any news on Muzz, I'm guessing he'll be out? 

Mannus

Shaughnessy   Anderson   Gordon   Tanser

Alston   Millar   Craig   Wotherspoon  

Scougall

Maclean

It obviously won't be anything like that.  I'm expecting the back 4 to be the same as Wednesday, and Paton to start alongside Liam, unless young McLean gets thrown in.

The estimable Murty in sensible interview shocker:

Hard to pic a team, though with Jack in and Miller out I'd go with:

Foderingham
Tavernier
Bates
Wilson
John
Kaiser
Jack
Holt
Candeias
Morelos