Queens v St Mirren

6 hours ago, Hawk said:

We'll that was entertaining but disappointing. Sir Stephen scoring what must be one if not the fastest goal scored at Palmerston then to go 2 up so quickly we looked as though we would be on easy Street. Oh how wrong eh.

Gav did what Gav does and it was game on. Both defenses were awful at times with St Mirren looking as though the were terrified of Dobbies skill and Kane's pace. We really miss Jacob's when he went off, just hope he won't be missing for to long although it didn't look good with the ref immediately calling for the physio.

We really should have got something out of the game especially after the start we had. As good as Dobbie and Kane were, our defence were bad. McShane and Morgan had good games for them but I thought Gav was the best player on the park. Nice to see him not celebrating when he scored and I was surprised but pleased when he was subbed. Like quite a few Queens supporters I was has happy to applaud him off. I've always said my dream strike force would be Dobbie and Reilly, yesterday showed why. Shame we'll never get to see it.

Maybe you will..    Next time we're in town.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Stu said:

What did folk make of the incident just before half-time when Reilly blocked Martin's kick-out? It looked to me as if Martin had already punted it forward and Reilly just stuck his leg out. Not sure how it was deemed a foul, he certainly didn't kick it out Martin's hands George Best style. Don't think the ref saw it either but reacted to the shout. Letting the free-kick be taken about 10 yards outside the box was also weird.

The ball went wide after hitting Reilly anyway so no harm done.

I saw it pretty much the same way as you.

51 minutes ago, Stu said:

What did folk make of the incident just before half-time when Reilly blocked Martin's kick-out? It looked to me as if Martin had already punted it forward and Reilly just stuck his leg out. Not sure how it was deemed a foul, he certainly didn't kick it out Martin's hands George Best style. Don't think the ref saw it either but reacted to the shout. Letting the free-kick be taken about 10 yards outside the box was also weird.

The ball went wide after hitting Reilly anyway so no harm done.

That's a foul every time. Indeed Reilly might potentially have been booked for unsportsmanlike conduct. Forwards often are when they do that. I've no idea why they continue to do it from time to time.

Ask The Ref

22 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Sorry, but you've not appreciated what he did.  

Clearly you regard it as a one on one that he tucked away nicely, but that doesn't remotely do justice to what he did.  I'm not actually joking here, or indulging in hyperbole for effect - it really was a brilliant goal.  I've seen him score a lot of beauties, but I'd put that comfortably in the top five.

He doesn't have the pace to move clear in those circumstances, so he had to hit it on the half volley on the reach.  He manages to direct it in the only way he possibly could to score.  It's great technique.  He hits it brilliantly early and it's a peach.

I think it was less obvious perhaps from your side, but from the main stand, it was clearly a really terrific goal.

He did what Dobbie always has done. He has great touch and he hit it sweetly and early before the keeper was set. However it's not even in his top five of the season I'd say.

Dobbie's is a decent finish.  Given the talk before I saw the highlights I was expecting something a bit more spectacular.

Also wasn't expecting Reilly's second to be as good as it was.  Don't think you can say that was because of a defensive howler.

Very happy to see Gary Mac getting on the scoresheet after his gaff for Queen's second.  5 minutes in to his first game in about 3 months and he messes up like that.  Must have taken character to carry on and perform well from there.

Overall, irrespective of the quality of goals/defending this really was a fantastic result for Saints. Even more so because of the way the goals went in.

Sets things up brilliantly for Friday night.

10 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He did what Dobbie always has done. He has great touch and he hit it sweetly and early before the keeper was set. However it's not even in his top five of the season I'd say.

Also mistaken.

It's tucked in close behind that one against St Johnstone from his first spell.

The only thing I'd say about Dobbie's goal is that the St Mirren defence made an absolute hash of it. The hopeful punt from midfield leads to Gary Mac being out of position and it's either Baird or McShane (at least I thought it was one of the two) who are ineffectual in closing him down. I would put it down to the team simply being caught cold when they should be concentrating from before the whistle goes. Samson's reactions could be better but I guess he expected his defence to at least challenge.

Can't blame Dobbie for our ineffectual defending though, you can only beat who is put in front of you as they say, and his strike was well placed even if it didn't have any great power.  A decent goal is about the best I would rate it. Certainly nothing spectacular. I'm sure Monkey Tennis is "at it" by suggesting anything to the contrary.

The most annoying thing? This is a player who had scored a hattrick in his last full outing and was homing in on the 100 goal mark. Ross said he had "trust and patience" written down on his team sheet, but if he didn't cover Dobbie's situation I'd be disappointed.

13 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm really not

I think it looked more run of the mill than was the case, from certain angles.

Well fair play, at least you're sticking to your convictions. After seeing the replay, I don't think it makes it look any better or worse, to be honest, if anything it just showed what a shambles our defence was at the start. It's obviously a "good goal" because, let's face it, all goals for your team are good goals.

Ultimately, and imo, this game will not be remembered for the scoreline, more for how you managed to completely throw away 3 points.

2 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Well fair play, at least you're sticking to your convictions. After seeing the replay, I don't think it makes it look any better or worse, to be honest, if anything it just showed what a shambles our defence was at the start. It's obviously a "good goal" because, let's face it, all goals for your team are good goals.

Ultimately, and imo, this game will not be remembered for the scoreline. More for how you managed to completely throw away 3 points not Dobbie's strike.

Yes, you're right.

I should probably leave it there and start talking to the in-laws.

How high can you count? Morgan is an outstanding player but if he "ripped" Mercer more than a couple times today I didn't see it. He left him tackling thin air at one point in the first half granted.

I thought Mercer came into the game well but there were a few times early in the game where I was worried he was out of his depth against Morgan. But as you say he probably ended up being our best defender and whatever the heck he did down at the corner flag to get the ball past 2 defenders some more of that magic please!

Never a foul in the build up to Saints 2nd goal.

And to claim that nobody in this league could score the goal Dobbie scored is laughable. It's a low shot from the edge of the box. Lewis Morgan has scored 4 or 5 like that this season.

10 minutes ago, TQM said:

Never a foul in the build up to Saints 2nd goal.

And to claim that nobody in this league could score the goal Dobbie scored is laughable. It's a low shot from the edge of the box. Lewis Morgan has scored 4 or 5 like that this season.

He scored two against us that you're probably referring to.

They were nothing like Dobbie's yesterday though.

Right, in-laws.

He's left alone because Tapping blocks Kerr's run rather than McKenzie's. Between them they've made a right backside of it.

As I think I said elsewhere, Tapping would have looked a better player if he’d been in a black and white shirt. Dykes was ineffective but Tappings performance was worse than ineffectual, it was bordering on harmful. The last time I saw such a painfully poor outfield performance from a Queen’s player was Jon Sunderland.

2 hours ago, QOSQOS said:

Watched the goals again.  For St Mirren’s second, there was maybe a foul by Reilly on Tapping (?), it left our player on the ground and Reilly running through. However, the guy that really messes up is Brownlie  who misses the tackle entirely. I think he had just been booked for  ‘timewasting’ and pulled out completely, otherwise he would probably have ‘taken one for the team’ and fouled Reilly. Very composed finish by Reilly, he’s clearly got his confidence back, I’m pleased he’s doing well, although I’d rather he hadn’t done quite so well yesterday.

From my vantage point in the new stand you could almost see Brownlie's mind working as he saw Reilly running on to it. I don't think he was ever going to get the ball and pulled out but without that booking I'd imagine he'd have had made the tackle and brought down Reilly.

Samson was slow getting down to Dobbie's strike. It's not even close to the corner of the goal. 
Brilliant movement and finish, but a better goalkeeper would have saved it.

[emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38]

200553777475c00845d8e42df94c0c15.jpg

1f3fa202e07998dd045540f550cd34e0.jpg

Aye, it's a bit more central than I recall. If the bottom corner had a ball sized hole the ball would have rolled right through. It's about as in the corner as you can get ffs.

Archived