The Investment Thread

Dindeleux

7 minutes ago, East Calder Lion said:

Nest is shite.  Very limited funds and expensive.  Try Aviva or Hargreaves Lansdown.  I have on there a China equity fund up 80% in two years, a Technology fund up 75% in two years.  Depends how you feel about risk I suppose.  Personally I would stick to far east, US and Tech.

Nest is not shite for people that know nothing about investing.  Nest is very good for such people.

Even their lowest annualised 5 year return is producing a real return (return excluding the impact of inflation) of about 7.7%.  That is pretty good, particularly when you factor the fact we’re in the middle of a global pandemic.

BTW Hargreaves Lansdown’s fees are ridiculous compared to Interactive Investor.

I got that Plum app a few months ago, it basically links to your bank account and automatically skims a bit off every few days. It knows when your bills come off and how much it takes off depends on how much is in your account and your outgoings. You can set it to auto invest in selected funds or just save it. I've got three separate funds that I put 25% in each and a savings account that the last 25% goes in. Just a wee gamble really.

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

Dunno if I agree. Across the piece, probably, but there are folk like Ha-Joon Chang or Simon Wren-Lewis who write about it in an accessible way, but you're only going to go and buy a book or read a blog of theirs if you have a starting interest. Economics was an optional subject I could take from age 16 or something crazy at school, this isn't good enough (I dare say it's better now but clearly not enough from those figures). Indeed the economics class was overwhelmingly boys, I think it was probably viewed as uncool by girls in much the same way home economics was by boys.

When I was in school it wasn't really sold as anything other than a business subject. I didn't do it in school because my experience of business management and the like was that they were incredibly dull.

I ended up getting a degree in it though ChMampY.png

Edited by yoda

• 2 weeks later...
I got that Plum app a few months ago, it basically links to your bank account and automatically skims a bit off every few days. It knows when your bills come off and how much it takes off depends on how much is in your account and your outgoings. You can set it to auto invest in selected funds or just save it. I've got three separate funds that I put 25% in each and a savings account that the last 25% goes in. Just a wee gamble really.

I’ve also got Plum, it’s class. Don’t use it for investing though.

I got slated on here for shamelessly sharing my referral link to try and make some cash [emoji38]

Did a wee exercise this morning and found that my SIPP growth year-on-year since last December was 29.7%.

Absolutely delighted but equally perplexed that such growth can occur in a calendar year which includes nine months of a pandemic.

9 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Did a wee exercise this morning and found that my SIPP growth year-on-year since last December was 29.7%.

Absolutely delighted but equally perplexed that such growth can occur in a calendar year which includes nine months of a pandemic.

I’m pretty sure my workload is up around 129.7% year on year, so the markets have definitely underperformed based on the amount of fucking work they are creating for people like me.

31 minutes ago, Ross. said:

I’m pretty sure my workload is up around 129.7% year on year, so the markets have definitely underperformed based on the amount of fucking work they are creating for people like me.

First World Problems thread for this.

On 25/11/2020 at 15:43, Granny Danger said:

This is a link to the Nest quarterly report, Nest is one of the low cost pension schemes set up for statutory pension contributions, though anyone who wants a pension can join.

5 yearly annualised returns:

standard fund - 9.4%

ethical fund - 12.1%

higher risk fund - 11.2%

sharia fund - 19.7%

My sons have switched to the sharia fund and if I wasn’t getting close to retirement I’d probably ditch my SIPP (12.5% as at today) and do the same.

https://www.nestpensions.org.uk/schemeweb/dam/nestlibrary/QIR-Q3-2020.pdf

When you click through that link for the Nest performances you quickly see the standard diagrams for investment funds, numbered 1 to 7.

1 is low risk, 4 and 5 are generally on the scale of balanced to moderately adventurous.., and 7 represents high risk/volatility.

[ I'm fairly certain, though stand to be corrected, that when investment people talk about high risk, they actually mean high risk of large plunges/increases

in price.., rather than the risk of losing your shirt.   You only lose your shirt at the point you sell, if your point of sale coincides with one of the plunges ]

The Ethical funds on Nest are at the higher end of 5,

and the Sharia funds are 7.     

1 minute ago, beefybake said:

When you click through that link for the Nest performances you quickly see the standard diagrams for investment funds, numbered 1 to 7.

1 is low risk, 4 and 5 are generally on the scale of balanced to moderately adventurous.., and 7 represents high risk/volatility.

[ I'm fairly certain, though stand to be corrected, that when investment people talk about high risk, they actually mean high risk of large plunges/increases

in price.., rather than the risk of losing your shirt.   You only lose your shirt at the point you sell, if your point of sale coincides with one of the plunges ]

The Ethical funds on Nest are at the higher end of 5,

and the Sharia funds are 7.     

Yeah, bigger reward means bigger risk, but every stock market downturn has been followed by a bigger upturn.

The funds (older than 6 months) that I am invested in are up 46%, 21%, 24%, 39% and a staggering 144% (the one I’ve invested most in). Frankly ludicrous growth, especially when it also includes a 9 month period of pandemic, so I’m either a genius or the luckiest man on earth at present.

I'm guessing most of these funds which have done really well through the pandemic are heavily invested in US tech stocks, which have doubly benefited from people being stuck at home (Amazon, Netflix etc) and the government injecting so much new cash into the economy. I've mentioned before in this thread the absurdity of bad economic news now being good for the stock markets as it increases the likelihood of further central bank stimulus.

With the electrification of transport and industry being the theme in the coming years I'll be looking at the sectors which will benefit, such as nickel, copper and uranium to name a few. Gold & silver too since it's likely the monetary madness will continue.

7 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Aye, the bounce back in the markets (especially US) since the 30% or so crash in March has been something else.  I'm glad I rode it out and just kept buying in every month as normal.    

19 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

I'm guessing most of these funds which have done really well through the pandemic are heavily invested in US tech stocks, which have doubly benefited from people being stuck at home (Amazon, Netflix etc) and the government injecting so much new cash into the economy. I've mentioned before in this thread the absurdity of bad economic news now being good for the stock markets as it increases the likelihood of further central bank stimulus.

With the electrification of transport and industry being the theme in the coming years I'll be looking at the sectors which will benefit, such as nickel, copper and uranium to name a few. Gold & silver too since it's likely the monetary madness will continue.

This.

Baillie Gifford American is a good example, up %125 for the year and I believe during the pandemic it made the majority of those gains. 

5 minutes ago, thistledo said:

This.

Baillie Gifford American is a good example, up %125 for the year and I believe during the pandemic it made the majority of those gains. 

Yeah, we’ve got a bit in that fund, wish it had been more but hedging bets, etc.

Fundsmith, by comparison, ‘only’ up 21% despite a better performance the previous year in comparison. 

4 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

These numbers are making me a bit nervous tbh.

There’s definitely going to be a correction but it’s unlikely to be massive imho.

There is a chart issued (possibly Motley Fool) that shows that over any given period, going back 50 years or so, the markets have always produced positive results over a 7-8 year period even accounting for black swan events like 9/11 and the housing bubble crash.

US stocks far better than the the FTSE mind you.

Just now, MixuFruit said:

On the one hand I don't mind the federal reserve giving everyone a lesson in MMT, but I don't think it's a healthy thing in general. Tech companies engage in all kinds of unpleasant behaviour not least of which is long term monopolism. Them acting with the feeling they are invincible isn't good. Quite what happens to change things I don't know but it is making my spidey sense tingle.

You’ll only feel like that until you get the vaccine then Bill Gates’ mind control will kick in and you’ll forget all about it.