The Investment Thread

Dindeleux

17 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

If you're looking for a great investment then look no further. Somewhere a bit north of the home report would probably tempt the seller IMO. 

https://www.clydeproperty.co.uk/property/GK03148 

I would have thought you'd give your P&B friends a nice discount. 

34 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

My stock has taken a severe hit this morning, Standard Life for instance has dropped over 30p since last week, problem is knocks like this if sustained hit's us workers just as much as the fat cats with pension funds all over the country being affected.

I foolishly invested a few thousand years ago on the Toronto stock Exchange on a small Canadian oil company which had at the time a few blocks between Trinidad and Venezuela, which is an oil rich basin, I bought in at over Three Canadian dollars per share, now they are worth around four cents per share.

Stock is  a really big gamble unless you know your subject,  guy I worked with  targeted the chemical industry and studied it for months before he went in with a few hundred, last I heard he ws doing Ok with his stock but he was by no means wealthy enough to do it full time.  

Many years ago certain hospitality companies offered shareholders discounts on purchases made on their premises, so we bought into Reo Stakis, remember him? I can't remember what we paid nor the discounts offered but I think it was around 10% on purchases. Then Ladbrokes bought them out and the discounts went west and then another company took it over now it's back to Ladbrokes and with our small holding we only receive miserable dividends, I dont know why we hold on to them. 

Smallcap stock (I'm assuming it's small cap) is a massive lottery, a lot of these are just pump and dump schemes and companies hold no real value., and even if they have good mining/oil rights quite often don't have nearly the resources to exploit this.  

28 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

If you're looking for a great investment then look no further. Somewhere a bit north of the home report would probably tempt the seller IMO. 

I might give local expert Jenny Thomson a phone...

39 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Quite liked the video, although I could have done without the plinky-plonk music. How do they do the video? Do they have a tripod on wheels or something?

Re: buying it. It's in decent nick but I don't like bathrooms without windows. 

1 hour ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Quite liked the video, although I could have done without the plinky-plonk music. How do they do the video? Do they have a tripod on wheels or something?

Re: buying it. It's in decent nick but I don't like bathrooms without windows. 

Suppose it’s better to be away from prying eyes if you need to store/decompose anyone in the bath. 

1 hour ago, Netan Sansara said:

I would have thought you'd give your P&B friends a nice discount. 

Smallcap stock (I'm assuming it's small cap) is a massive lottery, a lot of these are just pump and dump schemes and companies hold no real value., and even if they have good mining/oil rights quite often don't have nearly the resources to exploit this.  

You're a 100% correct,  I foolishly didn't do my homework and the oil business was on a fast rising high, the Trinidad acreage the guy had  was and is highly profitable and how he blew it is as I later found out was due to his cowboy feckin attitude, when I checked him out I found one of his escapades involved him running a red in a feckin blizzard on his mobile which resulted him being hospitalised for months! plus I was told that he bought his first Alberta block percentage with semen from his grandfathers prize bull.

So as I said do your homework and don't rush into companies on impulse.

Bertie Forbes, the farming boy from New Deer, who emigrated to the USA and founded the acknowledged leading business magazine, 'Forbes', lived by a proverb engraved in his New Deer church pew which is;

'With all thy understanding, get understanding'.

It certainly did him well.

4 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Suppose it’s better to be away from prying eyes if you need to store/decompose anyone in the bath. 

You've been watching too much Breaking Bad. I'm pretty sure the average man in the street has no need for such a facility. 

2 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

Simple - The only fun in funds is in the name and individual stock is the game.

What a sit post.  Unless you really understand the market, and most of us don't, you're more likely to get burnt trading individual stocks.

However, despite claims to the contrary, managed funds may be a better bet than trackers and I'm moving things in that direction with my SIPP and ISA.

ETA that should be shit, not sit!!!

Edited by Granny Danger

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

What a sit post.  Unless you really understand the market, and most of us don't, you're more likely to get burnt trading individual stocks.

However, despite claims to the contrary, managed funds may be a better bet than trackers and I'm moving things in that direction with my SIPP and ISA.

ETA that should be shit, not sit!!!

Problem with managed funds is that you pay high commission charges versus index trackers. It has also been proven that trackers beat 90% if managed funds performance over 5 years IIRC.

21 minutes ago, Yflab said:

Problem with managed funds is that you pay high commission charges versus index trackers. It has also been proven that trackers beat 90% if managed funds performance over 5 years IIRC.

If you're paying 0.8% (as an example) compared to 0.1% this could fade into insignificance depending upon the return.  The problem with comparisons is that they're comparing the whole market rather than specifics.  

Highest growing FTSE index in recent years has been the FTSE 250; the HSBC FTSE 250 index has grown approximately 56% in the last 5 years.  Some 'main' managed funds have vastly outperformed that; Fundsmith is over 100%.

Having a wee peek at the Northern Rock thread again :lol: 

"The shares are now climbing back up, and are at 280p.

I am confident they will be over £3.50 again within the next few weeks. You could of course have taken the instant profit yesterday. I didn't, as I don't have enough shares to make it worthwhile."

47 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

If you're paying 0.8% (as an example) compared to 0.1% this could fade into insignificance depending upon the return.  The problem with comparisons is that they're comparing the whole market rather than specifics.  

Highest growing FTSE index in recent years has been the FTSE 250; the HSBC FTSE 250 index has grown approximately 56% in the last 5 years.  Some 'main' managed funds have vastly outperformed that; Fundsmith is over 100%.

Good luck with your investments. I’m happy with the choices I have made with index trackers and bonds. I also own some individual stocks, but I know what I prefer.

Edited by Guest