Are Smart Phones killing Society?

See I would sometimes just film a bit of a concert or sporting event (probably totaling to less than a minute) just for me to watch back later really. I can't understand the people who film essentially the whole thing and putting the full concert on a ridiculously long snapchat story.

I agree with this, grab a quick photo or video as a reminder then back to enjoying it.
I get similarly annoyed by folk recording the whole even on their phones as artists banning folk taking any videos or photos at all.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nah I can't see the appeal of filming even a wee bit of a gig or a sporting event.

It will be shit quality and shit sound and won't equate to your actual experience when you were there. 

Plus loads of other folk will have done it, so you can just search Youtube for a pishy wee video clip.

Nah I can't see the appeal of filming even a wee bit of a gig or a sporting event.
It will be shit quality and shit sound and won't equate to your actual experience when you were there. 
Plus loads of other folk will have done it, so you can just search Youtube for a pishy wee video clip.

Why take any video or photo every in that instance then? Your photo or video is a reminder personal to you.

7 hours ago, nsr said:

The real challenge is trying to *end* the conversation with the random stranger who starts chatting inanely to you on public transport.

I recommend learning how to sign “I’m sorry I’m deaf”, so that when ignoring them isn’t working you have a get out.

Isn't this more of an issue of social networks and other sites attempting to grasp our attention for as long as possible. This is how these websites generate revenue afterall through billions of views and clicks every day. objectively, scrolling through my facebook feed seems pointless, yet, I still do it all the time even if I am aware that large portion of it is uninteresting crap. Who among us has come back onto Pie and Bovril after 5 minutes to see if anyone has said anything new - I know I have  (and no one has said anything new,  because it's only been 5 minutes). It's very likely that most of us do spend too much time on our phones. but the smart phones are not the issue and removing such a useful device from our lives would be a bad thing. What we should be doing is limiting the time we spend on facebook, instagram, snapchat, youtube, reddit, whatever other apps and website we waste our time on seeing the same things over and over again.

People who moan about people with cameras and phones at gigs are either yer da or just raging they can't take a decent picture. 

If that makes me a ‘yer da’ then I’m in.

And don’t get me started on folk who film themselves at football/gigs etc

3 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

If that makes me a ‘yer da’ then I’m in.

And don’t get me started on folk who film themselves at football/gigs etc

Step 1) Steward notices the offence

Step 2) Steward alerts Action Force

Step 3) Action Force apprehends offender

Step 4) Offender taken outside

Step 5) Offender asked to kneel

Step 6) Offender shot in head

Step 7) Offender's next of kin notified that they can come and collect the body from where it lies

Step 8 ) Offender's family sent bill for bullet

iPhone now so a screen time review and my figures are pretty shocking.

I think this is the time your phone is actually unlocked and being used as well so it’s not as if it’s just due to apps being open. Think how much of life I am missing.

Will try to tone it down this week and post the next 7 days next Sunday to see how I’ve got on.

IMG_0596.jpg

Archived