Are Smart Phones killing Society?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Back in old boys day, you spoke to other people. That’s how you met people and made connections

At 56, I’m pretty much into old boy territory and traveled many miles on public transport before smartphones came along. I can assure you, this was never the case. The last thing, the very last thing you wanted was some random trying to strike up a conversation. People lived in fear of this happening.

On 06/10/2018 at 14:39, Hedgecutter said:

I sometimes act all obtuse and purposely make sure I'm in their path, just to see how close they can get before noticing. Nobody's managed to walk into me yet, but there have been some close calls. This is how I brighten up the morning walk to work.

I’m glad I’m not the only one.

9 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:
9 hours ago, Bold Rover said:
The old phone-less guy was me. And I didn't want any of them to talk to me. 

Did he feel your leg and you felt uncomfortable?

No. And I didn't feel anyone.

Saw three girls at a bus shelter in Kintore this morning who all let the bus pass them as they were engrossed with their phones.  One evidently realised at the last moment and ran, trying to flag it down, but alas it was too late as it sped into the distance. 

10-moments-in-school-youll-remember-for-

tenor.gif

DSx2.gif

18 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

What if you want to speak to a girl you fancy on the train? Would anyone here do that?

Better writing into the Metro

To the pretty blonde with the look of fear in her eyes, fancy sharing a pint? I'll provide the straws

At 56, I’m pretty much into old boy territory and traveled many miles on public transport before smartphones came along. I can assure you, this was never the case. The last thing, the very last thing you wanted was some random trying to strike up a conversation. People lived in fear of this happening.

Exactly this. Surely people in pre-smartphone era didn’t skip onto public transport looking forward to striking up conversations with people. I’d imagine all we’ve done is swap people burying their face in newspapers/books with smartphones.

I could maybe understand speaking to someone on a train if it was a long haul all-ticket type affair but chatting to people on a local train is weirdo behaviour. Don't think anyone has ever struck up a random chat on public transport on a journey under an hour without being just out of jail and/or 8 ciders to the good. 

What if you want to speak to a girl you fancy on the train? Would anyone here do that?

Would probably assume a lassie wasn’t looking for her hole off some rando chatting to strangers on the morning commute tbh.

On 08/10/2018 at 17:01, jamamafegan said:

Only if it was the late train&we had the carriage to ourselves-wouldnt want to make her feel uncomfortable by having other people witness our special moment

I don't think smartphones are killing society per se. It's just a different time. In 5 years time they'll all be on something else. We'll still be moaning though ;) 

They do IMO highlight the weak people (for us to mock) who are desperate for likes and shares, hopes and prayers etc, etc, etc. Be a ware :lol: 

As an example, I struggle to relate to the idea filming (badly) a concert performance or sporting event on a phone to upload in pursuit of likes/shares instead of actually just watching, listening and taking the whole experience in but hey, if it works for them, who am I to tell them different. For me a good 'live' experience will never be outshone by watching it on screen, particularly a small one. I'm not bothered in the slightest who knows or cares if I was there or not. 

6 minutes ago, Trackdaybob said:

As an example, I struggle to relate to the idea filming (badly) a concert performance or sporting event on a phone to upload in pursuit of likes/shares instead of actually just watching, listening and taking the whole experience in but hey, if it works for them, who am I to tell them different. For me a good 'live' experience will never be outshone by watching it on screen, particularly a small one. I'm not bothered in the slightest who knows or cares if I was there or not. 

See I would sometimes just film a bit of a concert or sporting event (probably totaling to less than a minute) just for me to watch back later really. I can't understand the people who film essentially the whole thing and putting the full concert on a ridiculously long snapchat story.

Archived