Attendances - Best in Europe

Jamamafegan helpfully highlighting the issue Scottish clubs have trying to attract fans. Comparing St Johnstone to a club who spent over £100m this Summer is genuinely one of the most fucking stupid things I've ever seen in here.

If you're only following football to see the best players in the world, you'd be aswell sitting at home watching Soccer Saturday, as St Johnstone isn't for you.

That’s fine mate, you
go and continue attending Saints games because you are a loyal and it’s a force of habit - and keep wondering why crowds are shite. I’ll save my money for away days/big home games.

I don’t have a problem with Saints fans going to home games by the way, I doff my cap to all of you. I have a problem with people who don’t questions issues/have a go at people who choose to raise issues.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Agree. These stats mean nothing and it’s nothing to be proud of.

I’m a St Johnstone fan emoji6.png and I went to the home game against Hearts the other week. The football on show was abysmal. It ended 0-0. I paid 23 quid and the crowd was around 4200.

Back in April I paid one pound more for my ticket to Everton vs Hull. Goodson Park was sold out just under 40,000 and I watch world class footballers on the pitch like Lukaku play. He scored twice.

Somebody here tell me why it makes sense that I should pay 23 quid to watch St Johnstone play shite football in a half empty stadium when if I pay a wee bit more (travel/accom included) I can see so much more and have a top weekend at the same time?

Prices for premiership games must come down. Clubs will argue they can’t do that because they need to break even. I say something has to change because if you think I’ll be jumping at the opportunity to go to McDiarmid to see shite Saints play some other shite team, you can think again.

source.gif

Btw RG, “problems Scottish clubs have attractiing fans?” That’s laughable.

What the f**k is attractive about getting the bus to McDiarmid on a cold winters day, pay over the odds for the pleasure and sit in a half empty stadium watching absolutely shite football?

What is attractive is going to a game that is well attended, good atmosphere, entertaining football, pre match entertainment, pints at the game, etc etc.

A quick peek at Everton's website shows a minimum adult ticket price of £38 for their 2 home fixtures at the end of this month. 

And those home fixtures were? And what stand?

I paid 24 quid to sit in the Bullends Road end. If you don’t believe me then whatever, jog on.

45 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

I’m a St Johnstone fan emoji6.png and I went to the home game against Hearts the other week. The football on show was abysmal. It ended 0-0. I paid 23 quid and the crowd was around 4200.

Back in April I paid one pound more for my ticket to Everton vs Hull. Goodson Park was sold out just under 40,000 and I watch world class footballers on the pitch like Lukaku play. He scored twice.

Somebody here tell me why it makes sense that I should pay 23 quid to watch St Johnstone play shite football in a half empty stadium when if I pay a wee bit more (travel/accom included) I can see so much more and have a top weekend at the same time?

Prices for premiership games must come down. Clubs will argue they can’t do that because they need to break even. I say something has to change because if you think I’ll be jumping at the opportunity to go to McDiarmid to see shite Saints play some other shite team, you can think again.

I agree with that £23 is far too much especially at McDairmid, £20 would be far more acceptable.

You're point about the English league is mute, most games down South are utter shite and charge 2 or 3 times what you'd pay up here. 

However, I think there's lots of small things that clubs/councils etc can do to make the viewing experience a better one. Reduced price for public transport on matchdays, drinking at games,  reduced price for food and drink etc.

29 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

That c**t Brazil needs an apple shoved in his mouth and a good spitroast if he ever pretends to know anything about Scotland again.

Fatshaming IMO

Spoiler

He is a bawbag though

14 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

And those home fixtures were? And what stand?

I paid 24 quid to sit in the Bullends Road end. If you don’t believe me then whatever, jog on.

I didn't say I disbelieve you, I merely pointed out the lowest home adult ticket prices for the two league games at the end of the month. The price is for the Gwladys Street end.

Prices are here:

http://www.evertonfc.com/ticket-news

4 minutes ago, Marr1 said:

I agree with that £23 is far too much especially at McDairmid, £20 would be far more acceptable.

Serious question, how can you say £23 is far too much but £20 is far more acceptable? Its basically the same thing, does that £3 really make any difference?

3 minutes ago, Tartantony said:

Serious question, how can you say £23 is far too much but £20 is far more acceptable? Its basically the same thing, does that £3 really make any difference?

That £50 you paid for the sold out game at Parkhead yesterday.....why not make it £53 or £55 as it's practically the same? Would it make any difference? 

Why would you go and watch shite like Everton when you could watch quality like Liverpool for the same price, stay at home and watch Real Madrid for much less, etc etc. Folk go because it's their team, and if relative quality is a concern then you're probably best out of Scottish football forever, as there always has, and will be, something "better".

The price issue comes down to whether or not you'd be happy to watch your side be unable to afford the players that they currently have. The general consensus seems to be that a drop in prices won't increase attendances enough to make up for the loss in money - no doubt others will remember better, but a few clubs have tried to experiment with cutting prices, and it doesn't work out, otherwise they'd all be doing it. You can't complain about the quality of football and the prices too - one affects the other.

We charge £16 at the moment, by the way. Just thought I'd mention that as it hasn't been discussed much on the League One forums  :whistle

2 minutes ago, Marr1 said:

Fatshaming IMO

Too fucking right. Fat people should be killed IMO.

(©Pie and Bovril)

6 minutes ago, Tartantony said:

£20 for a lot of people is the maximum they would pay to go and watch a Premiership game, a poor choice of word by me, shouldn't have used the word "Far". The extra £3 does tend to put people off.

Spoiler

Watched The Sound of Music the other day ;)

1 minute ago, sjc said:

That £50 you paid for the sold out game at Parkhead yesterday.....why not make it £53 or £55 as it's practically the same? Would it make any difference? 

If I found £50 acceptable then I'd be happy enough to pay £55 so no it wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference to me. I didn't pay £50 though, I paid £412 for 21 games which included yesterdays game.

It wasn't meant as a dig, I just don't see the fuss in paying £23 when £20 is deemed acceptable. Its only £3.

I’m a St Johnstone fan [emoji6] and I went to the home game against Hearts the other week. The football on show was abysmal. It ended 0-0. I paid 23 quid and the crowd was around 4200.

Shite, IMO.

EPL teams get gazillions from TV. Our teams need the punters paying their £23 to pay the wages. I suppose they could make it £20. What would be fair?

Support your local team FFS!

If I found £50 acceptable then I'd be happy enough to pay £55 so no it wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference to me. I didn't pay £50 though, I paid £412 for 21 games which included yesterdays game.

It wasn't meant as a dig, I just don't see the fuss in paying £23 when £20 is deemed acceptable. Its only £3.

So sneaking prices up £3 at a time regardless of inflation rates is all good then? 

Would you pay an extra £3 for a pint? It's only £3 after all....

2 hours ago, Tartantony said:

@HibeeJibee How do you get to the 1.55% and 2.11%?

I have my own analysis that I update quite regularly, so would be good to see your figures for comparison.

Edit: Also wondering what source(s) you use for attendance figures? I keep my own for Scottish Football so interested in your overseas sources?

Attendances are from European Football Statistics website; population figures were from Wikipedia (there is a list of European countries by population taken from the latest official estimate or census of each country). So if you divide last season's Scottish Premiership average by the latest Scottish population estimate - and round to 2 decimal figures - you get 1.55%; if you do the same for all SPFL divisions you get 2.11%.

1 hour ago, Elixir said:

This is all well and good, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't take away from the fact that most of the diddies struggling to get 2,000 through the gates each week isn't utterly tinpot.

Last season there were 19 clubs averaging over 2,000 (plus Ayr and QotS weren't far off).

Working back from there previous amounts were 20, 20, 16, 18, 16, 18, 19, 20, 20, 18, 18, 20, 20, 19, 20, 19, 19... that's us back to 2000.

So why is there anything untoward in 19-21 clubs averaging 2,000 or more?

So sneaking prices up £3 at a time regardless of inflation rates is all good then? 
Would you pay an extra £3 for a pint? It's only £3 after all....
But they don't sneak them up £3 a time. Are prices even higher now than they were 20 years ago when taking inflation into account? I'd be surprised if they were much higher if higher at all.

I'll ignore the pint comparison as it's ridiculous.

2 minutes ago, Tartantony said:

But they don't sneak them up £3 a time. Are prices even higher now than they were 20 years ago when taking inflation into account? I'd be surprised if they were much higher if higher at all.

I'll ignore the pint comparison as it's ridiculous.

I don't think the price are lower by index related comparison and certainly not if you took them back 30 or 40 years.

It simply comes down to how much individuals are willing to pay and many have jumped on the "£20s plenty" campaign. 

PS - I bet you'd pay an extra £3 for a pint if you'd spent all day on a camel in the Sahara desert? 

Incidentally, if St Johnstone and Scottish football are over-priced and less attractive than Everton and English football, and prices "must come down"... why are attendances in Scotland higher per head of population than in England by the staggering proportions of over 200% at top division level and 50% across the league system overall?

Even if you take the top 368 English clubs the matchday average is 819,678; or 1.48% of England's population. (It would be lower if you added in the population of Welsh areas playing there).

Up here in Scotland the top 42 clubs have a matchday average of 111,976; or 2.11% of Scotland's population.

Half again higher here.

I don't think the price are lower by index related comparison and certainly not if you took them back 30 or 40 years.
It simply comes down to how much individuals are willing to pay and many have jumped on the "£20s plenty" campaign. 
PS - I bet you'd pay an extra £3 for a pint if you'd spent all day on a camel in the Sahara desert? 
I get that folk want it to be £20, I just don't get the amount of moaning that goes on for the sake of a few quid. I think £25 is fair game.

P.s. I'd rather drink my own piss than pay £6 for a pint

I get that folk want it to be £20, I just don't get the amount of moaning that goes on for the sake of a few quid. I think £25 is fair game.

P.s. I'd rather drink my own piss than pay £6 for a pint

Would you be quite so willing to pay £25 a game if your Club was a middle of the road team and not hovering up most of the trophies on a yearly basis?

Most Celtic fans weren't quite so willing to pay the going rate in the early to mid 90s.

Incidentally, if St Johnstone and Scottish football are over-priced and less attractive than Everton and English football, and prices "must come down"... why are attendances in Scotland higher per head of population than in England by the staggering proportions of over 200% at top division level and 50% across the league system overall?

Even if you take the top 368 English clubs the matchday average is 819,678; or 1.48% of England's population. (It would be lower if you added in the population of Welsh areas playing there).

Up here in Scotland the top 42 clubs have a matchday average of 111,976; or 2.11% of Scotland's population.

Half again higher here.
HJ, I'm with you on this and will always defend our attendances but for the sake of objectivity, it could be argued that the English/ Germans are pretty much at their max % due to the fact that their attendance to capacity % is much closer to 100% than ours is. I.e. their available capacity likely wouldn't get them to 2.11% and if additional capacity was made available there is no reason they couldn't fill it.

While the English could only really increase attendance by increasing capacity, I often wonder if our clubs could achieve higher attendances by doing the opposite and reducing capacity. That's a bit of a mind f**k but makes sense to me at least

Archived