Here's to a prosperous 2018 to our fine grade of football, The Juniors.

A lot of discussion about pyramids and the future of the Junior Grade, but here's tae the Juniors warts and all! Still the best grade of football in the cosmos IMHO. Keep up the spats on the P&B but remember to always keep a sense of humour and a sense of perspective. I mean even I can see that there is a positive from an otherwise negative. For example when Talbot loose it can be good for the economy as the shares in Andrex goes through the roof! :thumsup2

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, gogsy said:

To quote an ex Mauchline supporter.

Here’s Tae Us – Wha’s Like Us – Damn Few And They’re A’ Deid  (bit like the juniors in about ten years time)

An excellent positive post from an impartial observer. Well done that man!

40 minutes ago, Dipple burn said:

He's got a point though!

Has he ! Constantly running down the junior game .but his club craves decent competition from junior clubs . The senior league clubs were ready to walk into the junior grade .2 have already joined the East, with one junior club heading in the other direction . Junior football has issues but so do the minor senior leagues . Thinking that money will filter down to junior clubs if they join the pyramid system is a myth .the money will become diluted with the Additional mouths to feed from the same dwindling pot . 

45 minutes ago, daleboy1969 said:

Has he ! Constantly running down the junior game .but his club craves decent competition from junior clubs . The senior league clubs were ready to walk into the junior grade .2 have already joined the East, with one junior club heading in the other direction . Junior football has issues but so do the minor senior leagues . Thinking that money will filter down to junior clubs if they join the pyramid system is a myth .the money will become diluted with the Additional mouths to feed from the same dwindling pot . 

Junior football has to re-invent itself whether its a part of the pyramid or a revamped Juniors. Crowds are dwindling, players wages have to be higher if you want to have a concerted push for honours. Committee's are struggling to add new blood and televised football is a blight on all football. Nobody is prouder than being a Junior fan than myself but sometimes you wonder if the grade of football is going the right way, especially as we fail to provide a sponsor for the major competition once again. 

1 hour ago, daleboy1969 said:

Re money from the SFA, you only benefit from this if you become Licenced and full SFA members, and with the best will in the world I can't see a huge influx of Junior clubs doing this even if they are part of the Pyramid, it will take time.  Either way, whatever it is it will be 100% more than you currently receive from the SJFA.

3 hours ago, daleboy1969 said:

Thinking that money will filter down to junior clubs if they join the pyramid system is a myth .the money will become diluted with the Additional mouths to feed from the same dwindling pot . 

I believe the 89 licenced clubs just received a £12k payment from the SFA plus their Scottish Cup money.  

If another 89 clubs got licenced (they wont any time soon) they could expect half that amount if the  profit levels continue at the same rate at national level. 

Junior football is no more  a grade of football than are seniors, amateurs or welfarers. It's just football.  This idea that somehow the same game, played by 22 players, under the same rules, on the same pitches,  in the same country is 'different' is the one of the biggest anomalies in our game. I wish a prosperous 2018 to all clubs in Scotland and look forward to Isa diplaying her famous sense of humour and perspective over the next year!

Positives from negatives... the fixture pile-up caused by a lack of floodlights and bizarre scheduling means there are tons of games to go to on the long early summer evenings, sitting on a grassy bank with a good local pie. Midweek matches interfere less with family life. 

5 hours ago, GordonS said:

Positives from negatives... the fixture pile-up caused by a lack of floodlights and bizarre scheduling means there are tons of games to go to on the long early summer evenings, sitting on a grassy bank with a good local pie. Midweek matches interfere less with family life. 

true. so true. beats a cold tuesday in peterhead.

7 hours ago, Cyclizine said:

Junior football is no more  a grade of football than are seniors, amateurs or welfarers. It's just football.  This idea that somehow the same game, played by 22 players, under the same rules, on the same pitches,  in the same country is 'different' is the one of the biggest anomalies in our game. I wish a prosperous 2018 to all clubs in Scotland and look forward to Isa diplaying her famous sense of humour and perspective over the next year!

Your post is indeed a refreshing positive reflection. Your philosophy suggests therefore that when I strutted my stuff with the number 5 on my back on the Ayrshire pitches of a Sunday morning it was no different from the Kaiser himself. That our game would roundly resemble the 1970 world cup final. My Highlander Flung, you certainly have made my day!

12 hours ago, Dipple burn said:

He's got a point though!

Our Kelty friend displays the sort of patronising tendencies of a born again Christian. The fact that Kelty, and I do know this, would not have left the Juniors if they could have secured a licence within the grade seems to be irrelevant now that they have gambled, taken a leap to what they now think is the promised land, away from the backwater populated by the unenlightened. There is no doubt that the Junior Grade could improve, but I really think that the Gogs is indulging in some premature  self congratulation rather than any balanced critique of the Juniors. 

Our Kelty friend displays the sort of patronising tendencies of a born again Christian. The fact that Kelty, and I do know this, would not have left the Juniors if they could have secured a licence within the grade seems to be irrelevant now that they have gambled, taken a leap to what they now think is the promised land, away from the backwater populated by the unenlightened. There is no doubt that the Junior Grade could improve, but I really think that the Gogs is indulging in some premature  self congratulation rather than any balanced critique of the Juniors. 

Can you provide evidence to back up your statement that Kelty wouldn't have left the junior scene if a licence could have been achieved within the previous regime.

ISA, This ain’t no gamble mate, your partly right and that info could only have come from TJ.

We went for our licence and had the same task as Talbot in that we had to commit to the pyramid. We hadn’t done any research on the EOS or LL up until it was confirmed in February we had to move. Upon doing our research which should always be done with such a big decision we liked what we seen and it was a no brainier, we were also confident of getting our licence so we made the decision in March to go.

We had a meeting for a couple of hours with 2 big clubs in the East, around a dozen people at the meet at a hotel where we discussed at length a way to get Junior clubs part of the pyramid and Licenced. After this meeting we asked TJ if there was planned changes to the SJFA  in terms of Licencing and/or being part of the pyramid, his answer was no and if there was it would be sometime down the line and probably not as quick as you would want it. That was the exact words.

If TJ had said yes we feel the same in that Licencing and being part of the pyramid is the way forward and it’s something we are looking to push in the next year or 2 it might have swayed us to hang off, he didn’t, he said he didn’t want to have a meeting with us and when we asked to get all clubs round the table again he refused. As soon as we heard that the decision was unanimously made that night.

1 hour ago, kefc said:

After this meeting we asked TJ if there was planned changes to the SJFA  in terms of Licencing and/or being part of the pyramid, his answer was no and if there was it would be sometime down the line and probably not as quick as you would want it. That was the exact words.

If TJ had said yes we feel the same in that Licencing and being part of the pyramid is the way forward and it’s something we are looking to push in the next year or 2 it might have swayed us to hang off, he didn’t, he said he didn’t want to have a meeting with us and when we asked to get all clubs round the table again he refused. As soon as we heard that the decision was unanimously made that night.

Now why does none of that surprise me? 

3 hours ago, Isabel Goudie said:

Isa calling someone out for being patronising. The first pot & kettle moment of 2018!

The idea of a pyramid system would be more attractive if the SFA revamped the leagues from top to bottom.having 4 professional leagues in Scotland is too much,it would be better having 2 leagues of 20 and 22 teams then a national league made up from the best highland and lowland teams.Then regionalise the rest right down to amateur level giving ambitious teams at this level a way to progress.The best junior teams would find there level about the national league with occasional sorties into the professional leagues 1 and 2,without the panic of relegation most teams would have in the top league's could give youth a chance to flourish and teams the freedom to play a better style of football.

Wouldn’t it be nice if Friday’s meeting at Blazer Park was being held in order for the SFA to tell the other participants that they were taking charge of the whole kit and caboodle and they were to go away and tell their members the revolution is coming.

Archived