Scotland Centre Backs

Just now, craigkillie said:

Hendry was excellent tonight I thought. One error where he lost the ball in a dangerous position but apart from that he strolled it - looked like a proper European style centre-back.

Agreed. The improvement he has made even of the course of the last six months to a year is incredible. 

• 3 weeks later...

McKenna was playing as a pretty attacking CB for the first hour of the game last night. I still think his place is in the middle of the three (obviously behind a few folk in the queue) but I wonder if Clarke thinks the same.

Did he perform well?
I thought he was fine. I think he fired in a great cross at one point and overlapped plenty, although he isn't technical enough when receiving the ball that high up.

He was in a damned if you do, damned if you don't position for Dykes' goal. It wasn't his fault at all and I think he did the right thing but I suppose if he could see into the future then he could've cut it out.

Assuming everyone is fit, who starts our next game in the playoffs, I don't think the opposition will effect who starts in these positions. 

Tierney is the only one I'm sure will start.

Tierney,  Hanley and Hendry is who I think it will probably be but Clarke loves McTominay so wouldn't be surprised to see him in there. Guys like Cooper and Souttar have done a great job in last couple of games. Tough one

As I'm writing the above and having a think, I'm not sure there is a single time Clarke hasn't started McTominay when available? Maybe right at the start of his reign

Souttar was incredible last night but I'd still go towards Hendry as he's shown it more consistently for us. I wouldn't complain if Souttar started though.

Hanley has been a colossus since coming back and deserves to go straight back into his position. It would incredibly harsh on Cooper considering just how good he's been this month. He's low-key been a very consistent performer for us.

Super Duper Liam Cooper is fucking magic. I love how aggressive he is, doesn't give his man a second to spare and absolutely clatters everything. Souttar stepping into the fold and strolling it is very encouraging too. Starting to develop proper options at the back now. And what a great feeling that is. 

I fucking love Liam Cooper. He’s a really good player, turns up every time despite knowing he’ll normally be on the bench and then when he’s called on he does his job brilliantly. 

You can see how much it means to him playing for Scotland as well - the video of the celebration after Marshall’s save in Serbia was great all round, but he’s a particular highlight.

Just the absolute boy.

3 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I fucking love Liam Cooper. He’s a really good player, turns up every time despite knowing he’ll normally be on the bench and then when he’s called on he does his job brilliantly. 

You can see how much it means to him playing for Scotland as well - the video of the celebration after Marshall’s save in Serbia was great all round, but he’s a particular highlight.

Just the absolute boy.

Haven't seen that angle before, those deflated Serbia boys just standing there watching us go fucking ape is just perfect.