Capital Punishment

Capital Punishment  

149 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Following the logic of some here, there should be no minimum sentence - instead they would be released when rehabilitated.   After all,  in an enlightened society prison is not a  punishment, rather a rehabilitation.  It's an interesting, and perhaps valid point.

It's supposed to be all things to all men. Punishment, deterrent and rehabilitation.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Dress it up however you like, the state would be killing people and sometimes they'll get it wrong, that's murder to me.

Amazing that you don't see "innocent people will be killed" as a compelling argument. Well not amazing, hilarious.

This already happens with innocent people dying on remand and whist serving sentences for crimes they didn't commit.  I am not in favour of capital punishment but our criminal justice system already kills people.

9 minutes ago, killiefan27 said:

Correct.

I don't think anyone is "fine" with someone being imprisoned wrongly for 20 years, but it IS higher on the scale of acceptability.

It's wrong, and it's not acceptable, but it's MORE acceptable than killing an innocent person.

Much as you'd likely get a lighter sentence for kidnapping someone than if you murdered them...

Ex-fucking-xactly

And if they die whilst being wrongly imprisoned?

Just now, strichener said:

This already happens with innocent people dying on remand and whist serving sentences for crimes they didn't commit.  I am not in favour of capital punishment but our criminal justice system already kills people.

People die. Is that your point?

I thought you were leaving me to it?
Anyhow, Capital Punishment is defined as lawful killing , to define as killing is hardly accurate.

I’m glad this is how you view it will make the inevitable war on the rich even better when we legalise guillotining anyone with a six figure income.

3 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Bold move from strichener. Maybe we should be looking at methods of perpetually keeping people alive until we can really determine their innocence.

He's clearly in to take the heat off HK Blues

12 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I’m glad this is how you view it will make the inevitable war on the rich even better when we legalise guillotining anyone with a six figure income.

I'll be fine then.  Actually, not - I'm paid in Pesos so would I be able to ask that a  currency conversion into GBP is done first?

12 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Maybe we need another level of guilt.

Not guilty.

Not proven.

Guilty.

Really, really, really guilty.

We’d only execute the ones in the last category.

Not proven is an interesting one, isn't it.  We didn't satisfy the legal test, but we might be able to later so hang on a bit and we will get back to you later.  Maybe. Am I right in thinking it doesn't exist under English Law? 

Anyhow, there are no shades of guilty.

1 minute ago, hk blues said:

Not proven is an interesting one, isn't it.  We didn't satisfy the legal test, but we might be able to later so hang on a bit and we will get back to you later.  Maybe. Am I right in thinking it doesn't exist under English Law? 

Anyhow, there are no shades of guilty.

It’s Scottish.  I think it’s referred to as the b*****d Verdict.

I only did jury duty once and a bunch of c***s let a drug dealer go under this verdict.

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

We  should randomly select 5% of criminals convicted of any crime each year and publicly execute them.  That would be a real deterrent.

I bet it wouldn’t.

”Has any P&B’r been deterred from commiting a crime because...”

50 minutes ago, strichener said:

And if they die whilst being wrongly imprisoned?

Fair point, we should kill them all right at the start to avoid this from potentially happening.