A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

2 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

For no reason whatsoever I thought it might be Annfield.

The only enclosure there that looked anything like the one in the Crerand picture from what I remember was behind the centre of Stirling end goal (was there in the 70s and 80s rather than the 50s though), so don't think that fits. Was there not a small and very low stand/enclosure type structure on the far side from the main stand in the photograph above where Crerand and the officials would have been heading towards? Don't remember there being anything similar in scale to the Crerand photo on that side.

2r545sn.jpg

Also don't think it could be Douglas Park as it was into the early 80s before the covered enclosure approached anywhere near the corners as seen in the picture posted above (as an aside Auchinleck Talbot's stand was originally an Accies one that went in to the left of the wee main stand in the photograph where the club shop had been when Accies managed to win promotion to the top tier).

Personally, I'm 99% certain now it was East End Park and that the comment about the floodlights was mistaken because the original set that went in would not have been in the shot. Hedgecutter's photo made that obvious in that there were two huge older pylon type floodlights on the behind the goal terracing with a newer pole type one in the corner that would have been in the photo, but happy to still be persuaded otherwise.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

10 hours ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

I think there's a possibility, looking at pictures of the time, that it could be Douglas Park.

The picture below is the 'wrong way around' in relation to the Crerand photo but certainly looks possible, the covered terrace and the trees in the bottom corner.image%20(1).jpeg

Unfortunately not. I checked my Big Boys Book of Accies stats and it appears that he never played at Douglas Park. 

His loss.

My money is on it being our friends in the North (Lanarkshire).

19 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Scotland's goalscorers at Wembley in 1967, Lennox, Law and McCalliog share a post match giggle. 

FB_IMG_1597682447033.jpg

For some reason I really like photos of footballers smoking. Not Scottish, so I wont add them, but Johann Cruyff and especially Jack Charlton were relaxed about been photographed with a fag. in their kit!! 

No wash bags and giant headphones for those lads. 

Could murder an Embassy Regal now.

1 hour ago, Old Pack said:

IMG_0089.jpgIMG_0087.jpgIMG_6596.jpgIMG_6444.jpgIMG_6447.jpg

Queens in their change strip in the second picture down.

1981 must have been just about the time that it became the norm for the visitors, rather than the hosts, to wear the different kit.  I'm still not sure if there was an official switch, or if it just became customary.

Unfortunately not. I checked my Big Boys Book of Accies stats and it appears that he never played at Douglas Park. 
His loss.
My money is on it being our friends in the North (Lanarkshire).
Certainly remains a mystery. There's a few grounds that it could be going by old pictures but of course one by one they have been discounted.

He has green socks it would seem, or certainly dark ones so may well have been against a team that played in white socks, which doesn't narrow it down too much right enough!

Would Celtic maybe have worn dark socks with their home top at certain away games rather than use a second shirt, just to differentiate that bit more?

13 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

Certainly remains a mystery. There's a few grounds that it could be going by old pictures but of course one by one they have been discounted.

He has green socks it would seem, or certainly dark ones so may well have been against a team that played in white socks, which doesn't narrow it down too much right enough!

Would Celtic maybe have worn dark socks with their home top at certain away games rather than use a second shirt, just to differentiate that bit more?

I dont think Celtic wore white socks until maybe 63. That was their regular kit. Until the 60s few teams wore white socks.

You can trace a big change football kits to the popularity of Real Madrid in the early 60s (crew necks, plain kits etc). It must have seemed incredibly modern at the time. 

On 21/07/2020 at 04:45, scotfree said:

I know that Hampden was getting redeveloped in 81, but why was the game played at Dens Park? Seems a wierd place to play it if Dundee were in the final.

Looks like Bob Valentine cut his leg shaving them. 

Think Hegarty bit him during pre match foreplay.