A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

15 hours ago, Bob in Denny said:

It wasn't the amount of cans and bottles brought into these games, it was the threat of a thrown bottle or the thousands of those carrying the dangerous 'can opener' of the day.

US version but still the same shape

canopener.thumb.jpg.9b790559f9b430cb19d59f2063d45941.jpg

Two games spring to mind.  Motherwell v Airdrie semi final (1975?) and Hearts v Rangers 1976. Both with bottles and cans flying through the air in large numbers.

3 hours ago, The Mantis said:

And you needed 2 holes, one to let the air in. I checked and the ring-pull was invented in the US in 1959, but it was a while till we got them on beer cans here, I’m guessing maybe up to 10 years. And the tab pulled right off, not like the modern ones.

You could combine the tab and the ring to create a flying missile that would take an eye out.

19 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

That all sounds genuinely dreadful. Glad you can't take carry outs in to games.

It wasn't all bad. My first Scotland games were in the oddly-named Schoolboys Enclosure. The dads in there would enjoy Croft Original or Lanliq instead of lager. Then drive home.

Oh, ok...I see it now.🤨

Edited by Academically Deficient
Spelling

4 hours ago, The Mantis said:

And you needed 2 holes, one to let the air in. I checked and the ring-pull was invented in the US in 1959, but it was a while till we got them on beer cans here, I’m guessing maybe up to 10 years. And the tab pulled right off, not like the modern ones.

i saw some old film footage of a Geordies' outing to Dunbar from about 1963 and they were using those can openers on the tins of beer they had as a bus carry out. 

By the look of it those Geordies were well wrecked by the time they got to Dunbar. Then it was straight into the pub and a stop at Berwick on the way home! 

11 minutes ago, Academically Deficient said:

It wasn't all bad. My first Scotland games were in the oddly-named Schoolboys Enclosure. The dads in there would enjoy Croft Original or Lanliq instead of lager. Then drive home.

Oh, ok...I see it now.🤨

Don’t forget the VP and the El-D !

15 minutes ago, Academically Deficient said:

Ah, another connisseur! Your good health, Sir! 🥃🥃🥃

Ah no, Too young, more of a spectator 😉
I don’t know if it was coming from the East of Scotland Or not, but as a 14 year old it was a bit of a culture shock to see all these men queuing outside an off-license at 10 to 3 when they might miss the kick off or all the programmes might be sold out 😂 

Eventually I graduated onto pints of Tartan, I was never a devotee of the Electric Soup.

Edited by The Mantis

1 hour ago, The Mantis said:

Ah no, Too young, more of a spectator 😉
I don’t know if it was coming from the East of Scotland Or not, but as a 14 year old it was a bit of a culture shock to see all these men queuing outside an off-license at 10 to 3 when they might miss the kick off or all the programmes might be sold out 😂 

Eventually I graduated onto pints of Tartan, I was never a devotee of the Electric Soup.

There was a famous Scottish advert in the 70s from the Health Board or similar which highlighted exactly that.

Guy is in the pub at ten to three with his pals. They go to the game and he stays for another drink. The slogan was "Missed the game again" or similar.

Very judgemental. We've all done it.😆🍺🍺🍺🍺

The above part of this thread describes very well why most Glaswegians don't go to Scotland games any more.

Teuchters from all over including Lanarkshire, Ayrshire and god forbid Fife & Dundee, pishing up a close, shouting in the street and generally being annoying.

Whilst being excited about a trip to Glasgow is understandable, the big city chaps just got tired of it all. 

20 hours ago, Academically Deficient said:

Not to mention the rivers of urine flowing down the steps.

Old Hampden was a scary place. You climbed up the steps to get out, being jostled all the way, squeezed through the apertures at the top, then steps going down to street level. Sounds ok, but when your feet aren't in contact with the ground it's not so good.

When I was young and carefree, a while ago admittedly, I absolutely loved going to the old Hampden. If you were in the Mount Florida end at a Scotland game and we scored, it was just simply a dust storm, and you were blowing black stuff into your hankie for a few days. Loved it.

5 hours ago, Academically Deficient said:

There was a famous Scottish advert in the 70s from the Health Board or similar which highlighted exactly that.

Guy is in the pub at ten to three with his pals. They go to the game and he stays for another drink. The slogan was "Missed the game again" or similar.

Very judgemental. We've all done it.😆🍺🍺🍺🍺

Was that the one where the guy sells his ticket at less than face value to buy more drink and all of a sudden everyone else including  his mates  have left? And then the barman tells him the bar is closed.

"See you at the game lads. See you at the game". 

2 hours ago, RedEd said:

Was that the one where the guy sells his ticket at less than face value to buy more drink and all of a sudden everyone else including  his mates  have left? And then the barman tells him the bar is closed.

Yes, that's the one. Well remembered 👍

I went on a pub bus from a wee village in Aberdeenshire to the 1993 Cup Final at Parkhead back in the days where it was a bit easier to get cup final tickets because of terracing etc. There was some old fermer guy on the bus sitting across from me and my old man, probably his first trip south of Aberdeen in decades, and when we got back to the bus after the match he proudly told us that he'd punted his ticket outside the ground for more than he'd paid for it, and spent the profit in the pub drinking and watching the game on the telly. Ledge.

33 minutes ago, resk said:
12 hours ago, RedEd said:

I went on a pub bus from a wee village in Aberdeenshire to the 1993 Cup Final at Parkhead back in the days where it was a bit easier to get cup final tickets because of terracing etc. There was some old fermer guy on the bus sitting across from me and my old man, probably his first trip south of Aberdeen in decades, and when we got back to the bus after the match he proudly told us that he'd punted his ticket outside the ground for more than he'd paid for it, and spent the profit in the pub drinking and watching the game on the telly. Ledge.

See my earlier posting 😄