A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 10/06/2023 at 14:36, Dirty Sanchez said:

Yes, probably. Looks like Jimmy Bone is scoring in the bottom picture and he wore 7 and scored in both of those games. Any remaining doubt, if there is any, would be settled by identifying the Kilmarnock goalkeeper because Alan McCullouch played in the April one and Alistair Wilson in November.

Got interested in the question, and from a  bit of looking, McCullouch seems much shorter than Wilson in the team pictures, and the keeper in those shots looks shorter than the nearby players. Though there might have been a clue on the absence of numbers from the blue shorts, but that didn’t pan out.

2 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Got interested in the question, and from a  bit of looking, McCullouch seems much shorter than Wilson in the team pictures, and the keeper in those shots looks shorter than the nearby players. Though there might have been a clue on the absence of numbers from the blue shorts, but that didn’t pan out.

Yes, the height is a good shout and again that supports it being the April game. The resolution of the picture is not really good enough for decent identification of the keeper's face. It would take someone familiar with watching both to have a chance.

16 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

I certainly remember the latter, Richard Gough scored a 94th minute winner in a 3-2 win for Scotland and the Cypriots and, pundits in general were incredulous about the added time, ironically enough that is the norm these days and no one bats an eyelid at four or five minutes stoppage time, I vaguely recall Cyprus players being off the pitch for a good couple of minutes celebrating their goals and a lot of time wasting from them in general, one of the first times I can really recall a referee playing a lot of added time for things like this, that it benefitted Scotland so much as we qualified for that World Cup, eliminating France by a point is all the more pleasing.

Cyprus were a bit of a shower.

The legendary ref, who was having none of it, was Siegfried Kirschen, who apparently supplemented his refereeing income by spying for the East German Stasi, it later emerged.

2 hours ago, paul wright scores said:

99% certain the goalkeeper is Wilson rather than McCulloch which would make it the November game.

Sunset that day (29/11/1980) would be 3:51 PM…the other option (12/4/1980) would be an 8:18 PM sunset. Assuming a 3 PM kickoff, I’d have to say the November match seems more likely given the mostly clear sky and the low angle of the sun.

6 hours ago, TxRover said:

Sunset that day (29/11/1980) would be 3:51 PM…the other option (12/4/1980) would be an 8:18 PM sunset. Assuming a 3 PM kickoff, I’d have to say the November match seems more likely given the mostly clear sky and the low angle of the sun.

You have a great memory.

11 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

I certainly remember the latter, Richard Gough scored a 94th minute winner in a 3-2 win for Scotland and the Cypriots and, pundits in general were incredulous about the added time, ironically enough that is the norm these days and no one bats an eyelid at four or five minutes stoppage time, I vaguely recall Cyprus players being off the pitch for a good couple of minutes celebrating their goals and a lot of time wasting from them in general, one of the first times I can really recall a referee playing a lot of added time for things like this, that it benefitted Scotland so much as we qualified for that World Cup, eliminating France by a point is all the more pleasing.

Yes, that was quite a game.  However, it was fitting that Scotland won the match as it was the nation that in 1885 introduced the concept of 'next goal is the winner'.

12 hours ago, Lurkst said:

45 years ago tonight...

2016.jpg?width=300&quality=45&auto=forma

Archie+GEMMILL%2527s+goal+versus+Holland

7a3212c0f9032544d46470049d06bfee.jpg

1000x750.jpg?1630950404

bhx0tk.jpg

Archie%20Gemmill%20scores%20for%20Scotla

Archie%20Gemmill%20scores%20for%20Scotla

Watching it live, I was stunned that a short, chubby, balding ex-Saintyboy was capable of such audacity. 

Cynical old guy me however can’t stop looking at a couple of issues.

Despite playing in the inside right position, he touches the ball 6 times, all with his left foot.

Wim Jansen and his mates look to be trying to get out of his road.

And what’s this, a narrow defeat in that game means Holland finish second in the group and avoid Argentina in the next round.

That goal put them 3 -1 down and just to emphasise that they they were in control, they went up the park and pinged one in from 25 yards a few minutes later 

Final score 3 -2

4 hours ago, Wee Jock Poopong McPlop said:

Watching it live, I was stunned that a short, chubby, balding ex-Saintyboy was capable of such audacity. 

Despite playing in the inside right position, he touches the ball 6 times, all with his left foot.

And what’s this, a narrow defeat in that game means Holland finish second in the group and avoid Argentina in the next round.

That goal put them 3 -1 down and just to emphasise that they they were in control, they went up the park and pinged one in from 25 yards a few minutes later 

Final score 3 -2

Ach maybe. But those four minutes were glorious while they lasted 

20 hours ago, paul wright scores said:

99% certain the goalkeeper is Wilson rather than McCulloch which would make it the November game.

Another tell tale sign that it’s the November game is because it was televised and you can see the camera in one of those photos

Your keeper was a young boy that day who was pretty hopeless?

You lot we’re about to head into the abyss after that season IIRC?

Big Sash, David Narey, celebrates his 67th birthday today.

DavidNarey.thumb.jpg.88dc5cf4224237aeaca29a6486f7fab1.jpg

The best player in my view to turn out for Dundee United, he played 872 times for the club over 21 years and netted 35 goals. Also capped 35 times for Scotland, scoring 1 famous goal in 1982 against Brazil.

Ended his career at Raith Rovers for a season where he helped the club gain promotion to the top league and strolled through a League Cup Final against Celtic gaining a man of the match trophy in the Kirkcaldy side's famous win.

4 hours ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Another tell tale sign that it’s the November game is because it was televised and you can see the camera in one of those photos

Your keeper was a young boy that day who was pretty hopeless?

You lot we’re about to head into the abyss after that season IIRC?

Yip - the young goalkeeper was flung in before he was ready due to Alan McCulloch getting his ankle broken at Cappielow a couple of months earlier.  He lost 8 to Rangers, then a couple of weeks later 6 to yourselves

We were relegated that season and didn't get back to the premier League until 1993. 

11 hours ago, Wee Jock Poopong McPlop said:

Final score 3 -2

Nah, this theory is daft.

I accept that the Dutch were maybe a bit casual on the night given that they were already virtually through.  This maybe helped in allowing us to get well ahead, but the idea that they were playing to lose narrowly is ridiculous.

For starters, it would have required considerable carelessness from the boy who buried the penalty that put them 1-0 up.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

21 minutes ago, paul wright scores said:

Yip - the young goalkeeper was flung in before he was ready due to Alan McCulloch getting his ankle broken at Cappielow a couple of months earlier.  He lost 8 to Rangers, then a couple of weeks later 6 to yourselves

We were relegated that season and didn't get back to the premier League until 1993. 

Yeh, I can remember us putting 6 past you at Rugby Park that season? Think we were 4 up at half time and I remember much of the Killie support leaving at that point.

When you did make it back up in 1993 it was a 3 horse race between us and Dunfermline for the runners up spot. It was our first season down since 1977 and took us until 2000 to get back up.

I’m sure I remember a pivotal moment being when you beat us 1-0 at Love street with a Tom Black penalty after I think Chic Charnley missed a penalty for us. I remember walking away from that game thinking that would cost us come the end of the season, it did

I do remember beating you 2-1 at Love Street near end of season which almost got us back into contention 

2 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Yeh, I can remember us putting 6 past you at Rugby Park that season? Think we were 4 up at half time and I remember much of the Killie support leaving at that point.

When you did make it back up in 1993 it was a 3 horse race between us and Dunfermline for the runners up spot. It was our first season down since 1977 and took us until 2000 to get back up.

I’m sure I remember a pivotal moment being when you beat us 1-0 at Love street with a Tom Black penalty after I think Chic Charnley missed a penalty for us. I remember walking away from that game thinking that would cost us come the end of the season, it did

I do remember beating you 2-1 at Love Street near end of season which almost got us back into contention 

By the way I'm wrong as we came back up the next season - 1981/82 - as we won promotion on the weekend of my 21st, after Motherwell beat Hearts at Tynecastle. 

You are right about the 3 horse race in 1992/93. We blew it, then Dunfermline blew it then we finally got over the line.   I thought we had lost the chance after you beat us 2-1 at Love Street but you ran out of steam too near the end.  Was the 1 nil game the one where it was snowing heavily and it was difficult to see the lines?

36 minutes ago, paul wright scores said:

Jim Brown was the unfortunate young keeper, not helped by the fact the Scotsport cameras were at Rugby Park to capture Rangers putting 8 (eight) past him, and thanks to YouTube it's available forever. He ended up at Irvine Meadow.

Killie came up again the following season though, clinching promotion in a bad tempered 0-0 v Hearts, also on Scotsport, and the only photo I can find of the game is a still from the TV featuring a young Dave Bowman...

sddefault.jpg

1 minute ago, Lurkst said:

Jim Brown was the unfortunate young keeper, not helped by the fact the Scotsport cameras were at Rugby Park to capture Rangers putting 8 (eight) past him, and thanks to YouTube it's available forever. He ended up at Irvine Meadow.

Killie came up again the following season though, clinching promotion in a bad tempered 0-0 v Hearts, also on Scotsport, and the only photo I can find of the game is a still from the TV featuring a young Dave Bowman...

sddefault.jpg

You are correct, it was Brown who played against Rangers rather than Wilson.   It was Wilson who played against St Mirren in the game the picture is of. 

We won promotion by beating Queen of the South 6 nil, not the Hearts game.  The nil - nil Hearts game was the weekend before that and meant if Hearts beat Motherwell in the last game they would go up.  Fortunately for us they lost 1 nil.