A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

This came up on a NZ site in a tribute to Bobby Charlton’s passing. Manchester United toured Australia and New Zealand in 1967 at a similar time to the Scotland tour. These links are to the programmes for their games in Auckland against an Auckland select and Christchurch against New Zealand. Man U won 8-1 in Auckland and 11-0 in Christchurch. The NZ Scottish connection In both games was Tom McNab ex Partick Thistle and East Stirling and George Lamont born in Alexandria who was 21 at the time but no record of any Scottish clubs.

https://issuu.com/friendsoffootballnz/docs/auckland_v_manchester_united_28_may_1967/14?ff

https://issuu.com/friendsoffootballnz/docs/mew_zealand_v_manchester_united_31_may_1967/1?ff

17 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

It's been discussed before, but Third Lanark v Dundee was an established game of Christmas Day in Glasgow every year literally for decades

14 times between 1905 and 1928 although the 1923 game was abandoned. It and could have been more if Dundee hadn’t pulled out of the league along with Aberdeen during WW1 and Third Lanark spending 3 seasons in Division 2. They also met 3 times in Glasgow on Boxing Day (1904, 1910, 1932).

On 20/10/2023 at 18:50, Dundee Hibernian said:

The bottom pic looks like an icy surface, not waterlogged. Possibly a completely different day. 

Knew I’d seen it before. It’s in Norrie Price’s book Up Wi’ The Bonnets and it’s from the early 1950’s.

4 hours ago, Eednud said:

14 times between 1905 and 1928 although the 1923 game was abandoned. It and could have been more if Dundee hadn’t pulled out of the league along with Aberdeen during WW1 and Third Lanark spending 3 seasons in Division 2. They also met 3 times in Glasgow on Boxing Day (1904, 1910, 1932).

Christmas Day having fallen on a Sunday.

Third Lanark matches on Christmas Day (or Boxing Day where Christmas Day fell on a Sunday)
Mon 26 Dec 1904     3,000     Third Lanark 2-2 Dundee
Mon 25 Dec 1905     3,200     Third Lanark 1-2 Dundee
Tue 25 Dec 1906       5,500     Third Lanark 2-0 Dundee
Wed 25 Dec 1907     8,000     Third Lanark 1-1 Dundee
Fri 25 Dec 1908          7,000     Third Lanark 2-1 Dundee
Sat 25 Dec 1909      12,000     Third Lanark 0-2 Dundee
Mon 26 Dec 1910      7,000     Third Lanark 2-0 Dundee
Mon 25 Dec 1911    10,000     Third Lanark 1-0 Dundee
Wed 25 Dec 1912      8,000     Third Lanark 4-1 Dundee
Thu 25 Dec 1913     10,000     Third Lanark 2-1 Dundee
Fri 25 Dec 1914           4,000     Third Lanark 7-0 Dundee
Sat 25 Dec 1915       10,000     Third Lanark 1-3 Hearts          regular league card
1916 no games
1917 no games
1918 no games

Thu 25 Dec 1919      16,000     Third Lanark 2-0 Dundee
Sat 25 Dec 1920        18,000     Third Lanark 1-2 Queen's Park     regular league card
Mon 26 Dec 1921       5,000     Third Lanark 3-1 Morton                  also Rangers 2-1 Dundee (12,000)
Mon 25 Dec 1922       5,000     Third Lanark 2-0 Dundee
Tue 25 Dec 1923         6,000     Third Lanark 3A5 Dundee
Thu 25 Dec 1924      18,000      Third Lanark 3-0 Dundee
Fri 25 Dec 1925            6,000      Clyde 1-0 Third Lanark            Third Lanark in Division Two
Sat 25 Dec 1926           5,000     Third Lanark 2-0 Nithsdale     regular league card

1927 no games
Tue 25 Dec 1928          7,000     Third Lanark 1-2 Dundee
Wed 25 Dec 1929        5,000     Third Lanark 2-2 Clydebank     Third Lanark in Division Two
Thu 25 Dec 1930     no game by Third Lanark
Fri 25 Dec 1931       no game by Third Lanark

Mon 26 Dec 1932         5,000     Third Lanark 1-1 Dundee
Mon 25 Dec 1933     no game by Third Lanark
Tue 25 Dec 1934       no game by Third Lanark

Wed 25 Dec 1935     frozen     Third Lanark P-P Rangers
Fri 25 Dec 1936     no game by Third Lanark
Sat 25 Dec 1937         30,000     Third Lanark 3-0 Hearts     regular league card
Mon 26 Dec 1938     no game by Third Lanark
1939 no games
1940 no games
1941 no games
1942 no games

Sat 25 Dec 1943                              Rangers 3-1 Third Lanark     regular league card
1944 no games
Tue 25 Dec 1945     no game by Third Lanark
Wed 25 Dec 1946      5,000     Third Lanark 5-3 Clyde              Dundee in Division B
Thu 25 Dec 1947        8,000     Third Lanark 3-2 Aberdeen     also Dundee 1-3 Rangers (25,000)
Sat 25 Dec 1948      31,500     Third Lanark 1-1 Hearts            regular league card
1949 no games
1950 no games

Tue 25 Dec 1951     no game by Third Lanark
Thu 25 Dec 1952     12,000     Third Lanark 3-1 Partick
1953 no games
Sat 25 Dec 1954         6,000     Third Lanark 4-1 Morton     regular league card
Mon 26 Dec 1955     no game by Third Lanark
Tue 25 Dec 1956       no game by Third Lanark
Wed 25 Dec 1957     no game by Third Lanark

1958 no games
1959 no games

Mon 26 Dec 1960     no game by Third Lanark
1961 no games
1962 no games
1963 no games
1964 no games

Sat 25 Dec 1965         1,617     Airdrieonians 3-3 Third Lanark     regular league card
Mon 26 Dec 1966      3,737     Morton 6-0 Third Lanark                  Third Lanark in Division Two

Edited by HibeeJibee

8 minutes ago, Buddie Holly said:

there were lots of christmas gifts exchanged between the fans,mainly bottles and bricks 🎅🏻

Yeah absolutely 😂. This match has been discussed a few times on here before. Match reports and photos are available on the thread.
Good times. Different era. Probably one of the best seasons to be a Saints fan. 

10 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Tue 25 Dec 1923         6,000     Third Lanark 3A5 Dundee

According to the Deearchive the abandoned Christmas Day game was 1-1 although it isn’t mentioned in the list of abandoned games in Up Wi’ The Bonnets. 3-5 was the result when game was rearranged in February.

10 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Christmas Day having fallen on a Sunday.

Third Lanark matches on Christmas Day (or Boxing Day where Christmas Day fell on a Sunday)
Mon 26 Dec 1904     3,000     Third Lanark 2-2 Dundee

This is great stuff. Is this from your own records? 

Screenshot_2023-10-23-19-49-25-69_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.thumb.jpg.9c43a3588f9273f2d6cbade39131530e.jpg

A 37-38 year old Ian Archer during his glory years when he briefly presented Scotsport in 1981.

He would pass away 21 years later of cancer.

He always gave me the impression that he was having the delirium tremens every Sunday although I only remember him when he had been shuffled to the side in favour of the returning Arthur Montford.

25 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Screenshot_2023-10-23-19-49-25-69_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.thumb.jpg.9c43a3588f9273f2d6cbade39131530e.jpg

A 37-38 year old Ian Archer during his glory years when he briefly presented Scotsport in 1981.

He would pass away 21 years later of cancer.

He always gave me the impression that he was having the delirium tremens every Sunday although I only remember him when he had been shuffled to the side in favour of the returning Arthur Montford.

Once described Rangers and their fans as 'A permanent embarrassment to Scotland and an occasional disgrace' in reference to the clubs 'signing policy' and the regular instances of the fans acting like animals. 

Archer, I believe was born to Scottish parents but raised in Devon so, had an insight and understanding of the nuances of Scottish culture and in particular it's influences on Scottish football fans but, from a distance down in England where, many viewed some of the extremist attitudes and behaviour with a sense of bewilderment. 

He was one of the first and very few back then to call out Rangers and their fans for their caveman attitudes and behaviour.

27 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Once described Rangers and their fans as 'A permanent embarrassment to Scotland and an occasional disgrace' in reference to the clubs 'signing policy' and the regular instances of the fans acting like animals. 

Archer, I believe was born to Scottish parents but raised in Devon so, had an insight and understanding of the nuances of Scottish culture and in particular it's influences on Scottish football fans but, from a distance down in England where, many viewed some of the extremist attitudes and behaviour with a sense of bewilderment. 

He was one of the first and very few back then to call out Rangers and their fans for their caveman attitudes and behaviour.

We could also describe the other arse cheek the same way. Both as bad as each other in terms of behaviour. A disgusting cancer on our game. 

@Flybhoy you can red dot me all you want but the facts don’t lie.

This is what the late great Billy McNeill said after one match :

“We want nothing to do with this scum”

IMG_4427.thumb.jpeg.cfb22455a2e3465a3c0f0758c0504c6b.jpeg

IMG_4428.jpeg.3ab6fbd1711cd8f9d33821b39b1da691.jpegIMG_4426.thumb.jpeg.c1e4fe18ca3c30eded5e431f70a252ed.jpeg

Here is a Celtic fan’s memory (via www.kerrydalestreet.co.uk )

“Celtic fans made up the majority of the 20,000 or so at Turf Moor. Hundreds of drink loaded buses left from salubrious drinking mens’ pubs throughout Scotland.

There was mayhem at service stations which involved police with dogs and wholesale looting and debauchery. From my supporters’ bus one guy was arrested and put in a van with dogs. He was released from the van by ****** vigilantes, bloodstained and missing his trousers, but in true Celtic fashion still attended the match. While this was happening one of his mates was liberating a full tray of Penguin biscuits from the service station which he liberally distributed to all on the bus.

Little portable huts selling pints were dotted round Turf Moor. The one near us was lifted off the ground, and again liberal looting took place. The Burnley fans then decided to chant “Argentina” at us. There was a no man’s land between both sets of fans with 6′ high iron railings on either side. A Rangers scarf was produced – cue mayhem. A sea of bottles and cans rained down on the Burnley fans. They responded with an interesting tactic. The beer cans were flattened and then skyted back at us. The casualty count was rising and eventually Celtic fans pulled down the fencing and used it as spears to throw at the police and Burnley fans, who ran onto the field.

Billy came out to appeal for calm.”

“A night I will never forget”

Burnley fans’ recollections are reproduced with thanks from www.thelongside,co.uk  and the Turfites Talk site:

“Never seen anything like it before or since.”

“I worked in Accrington at the time. The landlord at our local said a van load of Celtic fans had arrived at his pub about five and they stayed till chucking out time without ever going the last 6 miles to watch the match.”

“They were there in their thousands – most of them were stupendously pissed and they were mean, aggressive and spoiling for a scrap.”

“Outside the Turf it was chaos, with no segregation between fans as the police were hopelessly outnumbered. Hundreds of Celtic fans were simply jumping over the turnstiles. There were battles everywhere – on the terraces, on the Beehole steps, outside the pie stall, behind the Longside – everywhere. The air was full of flying plastic glasses and the odd coin and real glass bottle. There was a pitch invasion which in my recollection was actually begun by the few hundred remaining Clarets in the Longside, surrounded on three sides and realising that the game was up and it was a case of the pitch offering the only escape route. The Jocks followed, having broken down the fencing that theoretically should have separated the two sets of fans on the Longside. There was then a massive running battle on the pitch, and it was getting very nasty indeed.”

“Going for a slash was quite an ordeal. They were skimming empty whisky bottles along the back wall as soon as you popped your head out. It was like one of those fairground games.”

“My abiding memory is that the Longside was taken- they broke through the fencing and used the debris as missiles. There must have been 5,000 more than the official figure suggests inside the Turf that night, all of whom were Celtic, as the police gave up and just let them jump the turnstiles. Sheer weight of numbers told, literally – I reckon the crush is why the fence gave way and it’s a miracle there weren’t any deaths. Once the fence came down the Clarets had nowhere to go but onto the pitch. 

I was in the relative safety of the Cricket Field stand at the time. However I remember Celtic fans destroying the fence between the fans and using pieces of it as spears. The cops with their dogs and horses had no chance. You should have seen Burnley town centre the day after the game. I do recall a group of Burnley fans remaining in the Longside – not many though, and they must have been scared to death.”

“Like all Clarets who witnessed the trouble it is a night I will never forget. We were in the Cricket Field stand adjacent to the away fans. Initially, they concentrated on the Burnley fans next to them in the Longside, heaving whatever they could over the dividing fence. They then ripped up the fence and hurled the metal javelins at our fans. Later in the match they started to climb into our stand, some with blood soaked bandaged heads, looking for all the world like pirates boarding a ship.”

“The Longside had a fence to separate the fans in those days and after throwing hundreds of empties over it they then proceed to break the fencing up. They threw concrete and fence posts at the Burnley fans. I saw a man close behind me get struck with a lump of concrete and fall to the floor with blood gushing from his head.”

“Neither police nor the club had a clue how to handle it. The game continued as hundreds of Burnley fans tried to escape the area. The game was suspended eventually to allow them to escape and watch the game from elsewhere in the ground.”

“It was a miracle nobody was killed or severely injured.”

“I was scared to death. Absolutely the worst night of violence I have ever experienced. Bottles, steel railings, bricks and any other detritus the Celtic fans could find were coming our way.”

“I was with my sister and I honestly thought we were goners.”

“I was at the midpoint of the home end of The Longside – halfway along, halfway down. It was horrible. It wasn’t just the debris coming at us from the right, they’d found their way across at the back of the Longside, where the steps led down to the “toilets”, and so we got rushed from the right and from behind.”

“Was shepherded off and out of the ground by police horses, and not let back in.”

“I didn’t bother going up to Glasgow for the return leg.”

3 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

That sounds horrific but

did make me laugh.

Burnley also won in 2-1 in Glasgow.

Celtic:
Latchford, McGrain, Lynch, Aitken, Edvaldsson, Conroy,  Provan, Conn, McAdam, Burns, Lennox. Subs: Baines, Glavin
Scorer: Lynch (pen 68)

Burnley:
Stevenson, Scott, Brennan, Noble, Thomson, Rodaway, Ingham, Smith, Fletcher, Kindon, James. Subs: Hall, Norman
Scorers: Brennan (21), Kindon (26)

Referee: W Anderson (East Kilbride)
Attendance: 27,000

IMG_4431.thumb.jpeg.40d2e1c38bc414e1030c0420a297fb6c.jpeg