Jump to content

A Photographic History Of Scottish Football


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, kennie makevin said:

To be replaced by a similarly vile entity with the same name, playing at the same stadium, supported by the same fanbase so.....no.....one of them, sadly, did not die. It smells like Rangers, looks like Rangers, sings like Rangers. It's Rangers. Nothing much changes.

The Rangers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Squonk said:

When our much loved golden retriever died, we considered replacing her with another golden retriever, this time a puppy. It would look the same, live in the same place and would soon be loved and admired just as much as its deceased predecessor. It would categorically not be the same entity though, no matter how much bullsh!t was concocted to the contrary.

A frankly nonsensical analogy which both insults golden retrievers and does nothing to address the continuing bigotry of the entity called Rangers. But I'm guessing that petty little point scoring over what or who 'died' and when is more important to you than that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 06/10/2023 at 23:10, miketheheadlesschicken said:

Eleven years ago today, Stirling Albion became the first team to beat The Rangers in a league game.

IMG_0188.thumb.jpeg.2f3f743be7effcecc3c51966c95c9ba5.jpeg

IMG_0187.thumb.jpeg.5efb5b59d54d6a09a14a1e50bb3e494f.jpeg

Also memorable for the greatest challenge ever seen on a football park.

 

There will be a few sharp intakes of breath (not to mention apoplectic outbursts) at that statement! :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 01/10/2023 at 13:00, HibeeJibee said:

Remember that time the great Stanley Matthews played for Clyde?

Me neither... but seems he did 70yrs ago v Everton at Celtic Park in Belfast, in fundraiser for the De la Salle Boys Orphanage.

Picture 1 of 12

Picture 7 of 12

Picture 6 of 12

That wasn't the only time Matthews 'assisted' a Scottish club. In April 1940, under the special registration conditions of wartime,  he was spirited into the Airdrie team to play Dundee United in the semi-final replay of the Emergency War Cup (the Scottish Cup in all but name). Though within the rules at the time it was regarded as sharp practice and reports stated that the majority of the 20,000+ crowd at Easter Road backed United as a consequence. Whatever, United won 3-1 and Matthews didn't score.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/10/2023 at 10:10, Squonk said:

When our much loved golden retriever died, we considered replacing her with another golden retriever, this time a puppy. It would look the same, live in the same place and would soon be loved and admired just as much as its deceased predecessor. It would categorically not be the same entity though, no matter how much bullsh!t was concocted to the contrary.

Indeed, if your original dog had won 54 Crufts Championships and 33 Best of Breed, and your new dog had won onevof each, would your new dog's CV  claim to have won 55 and 34 respectively?

I don't think so. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In the wake of an Aston Villa v Rangers friendly in the mid 1970's being abandoned due to a pitch invasion by  visiting fans, albeit goaded by some home fans waving Irish tricolours, Ian Archer wrote in the Glasgow Herald that 'Rangers and Celtic are a permanent embarrassment and occasional disgrace to Scottish football'.

Nothing much changes.

 

Just to rectify a typo in the above what Ian Archer actually said was -

"This has to be said about Rangers FC, briefly because Prague beckons.  As a Scottish football club, they are a permanent embarrassment and an occasional disgrace. This country would be a better place if Rangers did not exist.

They are a permanent embarrassment because they are the only club in the world which insists that every member of the team is of one religion.   They are an occasional disgrace because their fans, fuelled by bigotry behave like animals"

The piece goes on to list behaviour problems of Rangers players and supporters. The point of Archer's piece was to point out the problems that Rangers sectarian employment policy caused. This was sensational for the time. Rangers "No Catholics" policy was rarely mentioned in the media in those days and it was virtually never criticised. Indeed there were journalists who condoned it.

However Ian Archer was wrong about one thing. Rangers ceased to exist in 2012 but I would not say it has made Scotland a better place.

To that end I would echo the final paragraph in his article - 

"And, because some people are so sick, I have to put six words at the end of this column. I am not a Roman Catholic"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

With Glasgow's  favourite son Mo Johnston in the team, Partick Thistle took drastic kit measures to ensure young Mo remembered which Glasgow team he was currently playing for.

IMG20231011210004.thumb.jpg.a14b3086fcb649a994e3a6d86edcfc34.jpg

Is that Donald Park next to Frank Zappa? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, AlbaNZ said:

In the wake of an Aston Villa v Rangers friendly in the mid 1970's being abandoned due to a pitch invasion by  visiting fans, albeit goaded by some home fans waving Irish tricolours, Ian Archer wrote in the Glasgow Herald that 'Rangers and Celtic are a permanent embarrassment and occasional disgrace to Scottish football'.

Nothing much changes.

 

Just to rectify a typo in the above what Ian Archer actually said was -

"This has to be said about Rangers FC, briefly because Prague beckons.  As a Scottish football club, they are a permanent embarrassment and an occasional disgrace. This country would be a better place if Rangers did not exist.

They are a permanent embarrassment because they are the only club in the world which insists that every member of the team is of one religion.   They are an occasional disgrace because their fans, fuelled by bigotry behave like animals"

The piece goes on to list behaviour problems of Rangers players and supporters. The point of Archer's piece was to point out the problems that Rangers sectarian employment policy caused. This was sensational for the time. Rangers "No Catholics" policy was rarely mentioned in the media in those days and it was virtually never criticised. Indeed there were journalists who condoned it.

However Ian Archer was wrong about one thing. Rangers ceased to exist in 2012 but I would not say it has made Scotland a better place.

To that end I would echo the final paragraph in his article - 

"And, because some people are so sick, I have to put six words at the end of this column. I am not a Roman Catholic"

I stand corrected, I was quoting from memory and you have obviously checked the original.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

With Glasgow's  favourite son Mo Johnston in the team, Partick Thistle took drastic kit measures to ensure young Mo remembered which Glasgow team he was currently playing for.

IMG20231011210004.thumb.jpg.a14b3086fcb649a994e3a6d86edcfc34.jpg

What's the story there?

It seems bizarre to have the name of the club written like that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...