A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

21 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Great stuff. I was interested to see that when United scored in the first half in front of the Shed, the crowd didn't celebrate, but Dundee scored there in the second half the crowd went wild. When did the Shed become a United stronghold

On 12/09/2023 at 14:12, Eednud said:

On this day in 1964 Dundee won the derby at Tannadice 4 (Alan Cousin, Bobby Waddell, Jocky Scott 2) 1 (Lewis Thomas) Att: 16,838

There's an advert for Usher's beer at the Shed End. 

My dad and his pal said it was bloody awful. Any older readers able to confirm this?

4 hours ago, tamthebam said:

My dad and his pal said it was bloody awful. Any older readers able to confirm this?

Ushers were fully owned by Watney Mann by that time  , their red-label was another horrific bitter so I'm told. Watney's did provide the Watney Cup , the first sponsored pre-season tourney , one which saw the penalty shoot-out introduced for the first time , with George Best scoring the first ever penalty , and Denis Law being the first to miss !

17 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Ushers beer? Terrible stuff, used to avoid Ushers houses on a night out.

7 minutes ago, Ken Fitlike said:

Ushers Beer + Norseman Lager were  desperate drinking pub horrors.

they did a ‘Lorimers’ rebrand / makeover in the mid 70’s… same shite beer with new badge.

the old stadium advert boards occasionally from back in the day usually evoke a ‘Hovis music’ vibe.

Here is the old South shed at Starks Park advertising Nelson cigarettes.

The Main stand roof which advertised Youma Bread faintly seen to the right of the centre gable.

StarksParkpredevelopment..jpg.b43c74e4f92299c9aa643c7c86590b58.jpg

On 14/09/2023 at 00:17, billyg said:

Ushers were fully owned by Watney Mann by that time  , their red-label was another horrific bitter so I'm told.

Nah, it was Vaux Breweries of Sunderland that took them over. In my young days the brewers were known as Usher-Vaux and they produced this insipid beer which must have suited a Teesside Wearside palate as it was similar to Vaux beer which I probably tasted once on holiday.
I believe that Ushers was respectable enough in Scotland before that, also their whisky.

it was Drybroughs that were taken over by Watneys.

19 hours ago, Ken Fitlike said:

Ushers Beer + Norseman Lager were  desperate drinking pub horrors.

they did a ‘Lorimers’ rebrand / makeover in the mid 70’s… same shite beer with new badge.

Yeah a good bit of marketing but still shite. Pretty awful to think that back then, people including me would choose a pub that sold Tartan Special or McEwan’s Export, the ‘finest’ beers you could get in Scotland at the time.
The other main player was Tennents, whose lager I think was top quality compared to what they sell now, but unless you were a lager drinker you wouldn’t bother with their tied houses as their various ales, like Bass Special, were awful. Unless you could find a pub which said ‘free house’.

Edited by The Mantis

2 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Nah, it was Vaux Breweries of Sunderland that took them over. In my young days the brewers were known as Usher-Vaux and they produced this insipid beer which must have suited a Teesside palate as it was similar to Vaux beer which I probably tasted once on holiday.
I believe that Ushers was respectable enough in Scotland before that, also their whisky.

it was Drybroughs that were taken over by Watneys.

in 1960 the company agreed to a takeover bid from the acquisitive Watney Mann. The joint assets included the brewery sites in both London (soon closed) and Trowbridge, together with 900 pubs.[1] In 1964, the company changed its registered name to Ushers Brewers Ltd.[1] Watney Mann merged with Grand Metropolitan Hotels in 1972.

On 12/09/2023 at 22:37, kingjoey said:

Great stuff. I was interested to see that when United scored in the first half in front of the Shed, the crowd didn't celebrate, but Dundee scored there in the second half the crowd went wild. When did the Shed become a United stronghold?

I think the quality of the film might have contributed to the look of the crowd, but I recall pre-segregation fans used to split themselves with United fans more likely to be in the on the left side looking out from the Shed.

On 13/09/2023 at 12:25, ScottyDee1893 said:

I would say around the late 70s when segregation of fans started to be introduced. Utd fans got the shed as the other 2 sides of terracing had no cover and were open to the elements. Dundee were the biggest supported team in the city until the 80/90s so the footage you refer to was indicative of how the crowd would have been for most of the last century

That's a piece of bait, I'm thinking..... anyway, United's started recording overall average larger crowds of the two in the mid-seventies, although there have been blips such as at the turn of the century where Dundee edged ahead for a season, and over a couple of seasons 2017-19.

The figures are available in "The Roar of the Crowd: Following Scottish Football Down the Years" by David Ross and for more recent seasons on https://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn.htm .

1 hour ago, billyg said:

in 1960 the company agreed to a takeover bid from the acquisitive Watney Mann. The joint assets included the brewery sites in both London (soon closed) and Trowbridge, together with 900 pubs.[1] In 1964, the company changed its registered name to Ushers Brewers Ltd.[1] Watney Mann merged with Grand Metropolitan Hotels in 1972.

This is an unattributed quote so it had me confused for a bit.

However, you've got the wrong Usher. You've got Usher's of Trowbridge, Wilts and we're talking about Thomas Usher of Edinburgh.

Ushers of Trowbridge

Thomas Usher

Edited by The Mantis

On 12/09/2023 at 15:27, HibeeJibee said:

1927     Aberdeen toured South Africa

1931     Motherwell toured South Africa
1934     Motherwell toured Rhodesia & South Africa
1936     Queen of the South toured Algeria
1937     Aberdeen toured South Africa

1953     Dundee toured South Africa
1954     Hearts toured South Africa

1964     Queen's Park toured Kenya
1965     Queen's Park toured Nigeria
1967     Queen's Park toured Sierra Leone
1969     Clyde toured Rhodesia
1970     Kilmarnock toured Rhodesia

1972     Dundee Utd toured Nigeria

AFC's 1937 tour was marred by the death of first team player Jackie Beynon - he caught appendicitis and then developed peritonitis, and died in Johannesburg.  It would be unthinkable now, but the tour carried on after his death.

aberdeen-fc-1937-38-on-board-stirling-castle-ship.jpg

Jackie is pictured on the way to South Africa, third from the right on the front row.  Billy Scott (father of Jocky) is in the middle of the back row.

https://aberdeen-fc.com/aberdeen-fc-tour-of-south-africa-1937/tour-of-south-africa-1937.html#gsc.tab=0

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

That's a piece of bait, I'm thinking..... anyway, United's started recording overall average larger crowds of the two in the mid-seventies, although there have been blips such as at the turn of the century where Dundee edged ahead for a season, and over a couple of seasons 2017-19.

The figures are available in "The Roar of the Crowd: Following Scottish Football Down the Years" by David Ross and for more recent seasons on https://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn.htm .

No bait intended. My point wasn't about average attendances but the size of the respective supports. Dundee's average undoubtedly dipped in the late 70s following 3 seasons in the old First Division. I would argue however that they still had a bigger support than United at that point. The last 20K+ crowd at a derby was the LC quarter final at Dens and there were certainly more Dees in the crowd that night. I'd agree however that the tide definitely turned from the mid 80s onwards

8 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Nah, it was Vaux Breweries of Sunderland that took them over. In my young days the brewers were known as Usher-Vaux and they produced this insipid beer which must have suited a Teesside palate as it was similar to Vaux beer which I probably tasted once on holiday.

Would that not be Wearside then?