A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 07/09/2023 at 19:55, bluearmyfaction said:

Word of advice to Dumbarton.

Next time you win the Scottish Cup, plan the victory parade route more carefully than last time.

Screenshot2023-09-07at19_54_31.thumb.png.162b317c766f8f963e08764a837c8131.png

(Dundee Advertiser, 11 April 1883)

If only the proposed new rules about buses had been in force back then none of this would have happened

On 08/09/2023 at 19:07, Bogbrush1903 said:

Are you trying to say that Burns had a passing resemblance to Hulk Hogan?

If I remember correctly, Aberdeen's Stuart Kennedy didn't like him because Burns didn't have much respect for those not plying their trade in England...

He was a fan of Oldco too so a fairly unpalatable character perhaps...

Late seventies and little bluearmyfaction is asking Kenny Burns for his autograph.  He obliges, after asking me to hold his pint and cigarette.

On 08/09/2023 at 13:50, HibeeJibee said:

Gala Fairydean 1988:
GalaFairydean1988.thumb.jpg.cbf03d0be2a1f4554bf055402e11af5d.jpg

Spartans 2010:
Spartans2010.thumb.jpg.c57ba432fdd95ef18c6ff04744c9c197.jpg

University of Stirling 2012:
UniversityofStirling2012.jpg.caade662798d333010be90f4b62748ed.jpg

Lothian Thistle HV 2017:
LothianThistleHV2017.jpg.c119cc5cbea68132392150e0f840602c.jpg

Kelty Hearts 2018:
KeltyHearts2018.jpg.c1aeb4990286786901576cac568a94d5.jpg

Tranent 2022:
Tranent2022.thumb.jpg.169fefc515ebb815af5da15cffe2ef2a.jpg

Linlithgow Rose 2023:
LinlithgowRose2023.JPG.12173a72796d5271addddbc202bf3157.JPG

Wot? No 2006 Champions?

Probably the only title to be won thanks to the passback rule...

It’s the Chatham Cup Final in New Zealand today and the first final was 100 years ago. The Chatham Cup is the NZ National cup.  The first cup winner, Seacliff, came from Dunedin and with a strong Scottish heritage in Dunedin and Otago there is every chance many of  Scottish sounding names in the team photo were Scottish or of Scottish heritage. George Anderson is the only one that was definitely Scottish as he was born in Loanhead in 1896 so could be safe to assume his brother, Jock, was also born in Scotland.

Special feature: The story of the first-ever Chatham Cup final 100 years ago

posted in: Chatham Cup, Heritage, News, Uncategorized | 

By Max Fletcher

The first Chatham Cup final was poorly attended, played on a Monday afternoon and at a Wellington ground best known for hosting All Black rugby tests.

When the game ended, and joyful spectators carried members of the winning team shoulder-high from the pitch, football’s longest-running and most treasured cup competition was underway.

It was October 1923, and the first cup winners, Seacliff, took the Chatham Cup by rail back to Dunedin for display at the hospital whose grounds they utilised as their home pitch.

Seacliff had beaten Wellington YMCA 4-0 at Athletic Park, the first team to lift the trophy modelled on England’s FA Cup.

HMS_Chatham_AllanGreen2.jpeg?resize=1024 HMS Chatham.

On December 19, 1922, Captain C.B. p***kett presented the Chatham Cup to the New Zealand Football Association on behalf of the Royal Navy cruiser HMS Chatham.

READ MORE: How the Royal Navy gifted the Chatham Cup to New Zealand >>>>

Few clubs entered the first Chatham Cup in 1923, and the structure of the competition was vastly different to its modern format.

Qualifying was organised on a geographical basis, and until 1970, the final was between teams that had won North Island and South Island finals.

On their way to the first final, Wellington YMCA had faced a tough road, defeating local rivals Waterside, Hospital Porirua, Nelson Wanderers and Dawbers Motor Depot from Palmerston North.

In the North Island play-off, they beat Huntly, a team filled with Scottish miners.

Seacliff had a far easier route to the final, beating the only other South Island side to enter, Oamaru Rangers, who they beat 7-0.

Seacliff-1923-winners-Chatham-Cup.png?re 1923 Chatham Cup winners Seacliff. Back row (from left): George Anderson, Hugh McKechie, Charlie Rivers, Malcolm MacDougall. Middle row: Bill Rogers, Bill Hooper, Jock Anderson, Tommy Burns, Bill Murray. Front, Reg Baxter, Wattie Hanlin.

For Seacliff, 1923 was as good as it would get for the club’s Chatham Cup record.

The club reached the 1924 and 1925 Chatham Cup finals but lost both, losing the 1925 game to Wellington YMCA.

The Southerners would finish runners-up again in 1929.

The 1923 final helped promote individual players who had already represented New Zealand in the country’s first international, or who would go on to play for the national side.

Wellington YMCA’s George Campbell served as the first captain of New Zealand’s national team.

On June 17, 1922, Campbell played in New Zealand’s first international match against Australia, winning 3-1. Campbell represented his country on 20 occasions.

In his final two games against Australia in June 1923, a 3-2 victory and a 4-1 victory, he scored a hat-trick in each match.

READ MORE: The ‘forgotten series’ between New Zealand and Australia >>>>

READ MORE: Long-lost ANZAC Soccer Ashes trophy found in family garage clean-out >>>>

Five members of the Seacliff team went on to represent New Zealand.

Brothers George and Jock Anderson, Seacliff’s full backs, winger Malcolm MacDougall, midfielder Bill Murray and forward Bill Hooper played against the touring Chinese Universities side in 1924, or against Canada in 1927.

15 hours ago, bluearmyfaction said:

Late seventies and little bluearmyfaction is asking Kenny Burns for his autograph.  He obliges, after asking me to hold his pint and cigarette.

After me slating Burns, that story of kindness brings a tear to a glass eye.

Did you get a look at which brand he was smoking?

I uploaded a few pictures earlier this year on this thread with Scottish football's relationship with tabbing.

I stopped smoking seven years ago in December but I've always be tempted to start puffing on a pipe when I reach my 60s (god willing twelve years from now).

Here's Sir Matt enjoying some Bogie Roll whilst the boys have a workout...

CEVgyfVWYAEiWZW.jpg.c0a27da5024b4e7e26fd54add6f61cd7.jpg

Edited by Bogbrush1903

On 17/06/2023 at 15:51, Piquet said:

The league magazine has an article on Alex Jackson "a Wembley Wizard, a scorer of the first-ever hat-trick on the famous ‘hallowed turf’, and a superstar"

I won't be posting any more material from that source. A few weeks ago, they tweeted a photo of Frank Stapleton of Arsenal and Eire(sic) and when I pointed out that it should have been Arsenal and the Republic of Ireland, they blocked me.

f**k em and the horse they rode in on. 

Edited by Piquet

6 hours ago, Piquet said:

I won't be posting any more material from that source. A few weeks ago, they tweeted a photo of Frank Stapleton of Arsenal and Eire(sic) and when I pointed out that it should have been Arsenal and the Republic of Ireland, they blocked me.

f**k em and the horse they rode in on. 

This made me go to their site and found this recent article about John Cameron playing for Spurs (and others)

Given that the history of Spurs is sprinkled with great Scots (think Dave Mackay, Alan Gilzean, John White etc) it is probably no surprise that the club’s first ‘great’ had his roots in Ayr.

John Cameron was born on 13th April 1872 in Ayr where his father owned a grocery shop. After attending Ayr Grammar School and playing for local team Ayr Parkhouse (who would later merge with a local rival and become Ayr United) he joined Queens Park. But he spent a single season with the (then) giants, winning what would prove to be his only cap for his country in a 3-3 draw with Ireland in Belfast while working for shipping giants Cunard in Glasgow. 

Full article here:

https://readtheleague.com/the-big-feature/a-great-spur

image.jpeg.403efdfce8ee5059b91c3abd8026b57b.jpeg

Not sure if this been posted before but it’s not the 1964 but more likely the opening match of the 1962/63 season. A League Cup Group 2 match that United won 3-2.  The film quality is poor and looks as though there are gaps on the terracing but according to the Dee Archive the crowd was 25,300 , the Arab Archive has it at 22,917. Alan Gilzean scored both Dundee goals. Walter Carlyle 2 and Jim Irvine for United.

Edited by Eednud

Being serious for a moment I noticed this on Ebay last month dating from 1965... there were actually a variety of Scottish tours to central and southern Africa - not always without controversy.

s-l1600.jpg

image.png.b9ce4256c8c937a95b691b90a6173afd.png

Some other examples would be:

1927     Aberdeen toured South Africa

1931     Motherwell toured South Africa
1934     Motherwell toured Rhodesia & South Africa
1936     Queen of the South toured Algeria
1937     Aberdeen toured South Africa

1953     Dundee toured South Africa
1954     Hearts toured South Africa

1964     Queen's Park toured Kenya
1965     Queen's Park toured Nigeria
1967     Queen's Park toured Sierra Leone
1969     Clyde toured Rhodesia
1970     Kilmarnock toured Rhodesia

1972     Dundee Utd toured Nigeria

Edited by HibeeJibee

1 hour ago, Eednud said:

Not sure if this been posted before but it’s not the 1964 but more likely the opening match of the 1962/63 season. A League Cup Group 2 match that United won 3-2.  The film quality is poor and looks as though there are gaps on the terracing but according to the Dee Archive the crowd was 25,300 , the Arab Archive has it at 22,917. Alan Gilzean scored both Dundee goals. Walter Carlyle 2 and Jim Irvine for United.

5 goaIs and they only managed to show 1! (As far as I could see, quality was atrocious.)

8 hours ago, Eednud said:

On this day in 1964 Dundee won the derby at Tananarive 4 (Alan Cousin, Bobby Waddell, Jocky Scott 2) 1 (Lewis Thomas) Att: 16,838

Great stuff. I was interested to see that when United scored in the first half in front of the Shed, the crowd didn't celebrate, but Dundee scored there in the second half the crowd went wild. When did the Shed become a United stronghold?

7 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Being serious for a moment I noticed this on Ebay last month dating from 1965... there were actually a variety of Scottish tours to central and southern Africa - not always without controversy.

s-l1600.jpg

The child in me remembers the Killie tour in 1970 , because one of their opponents were Wankie FC ! 

8 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

1963 Dundee United toured Nyasaland (Malawi)  Northern Rhodesia (Zambia), Southern Rhodesia (Zimbabwe) and South Africa

13 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Great stuff. I was interested to see that when United scored in the first half in front of the Shed, the crowd didn't celebrate, but Dundee scored there in the second half the crowd went wild. When did the Shed become a United stronghold?

I would say around the late 70s when segregation of fans started to be introduced. Utd fans got the shed as the other 2 sides of terracing had no cover and were open to the elements. Dundee were the biggest supported team in the city until the 80/90s so the footage you refer to was indicative of how the crowd would have been for most of the last century

On 12/09/2023 at 10:27, HibeeJibee said:

s-l1600.jpg