A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

4 hours ago, O_Kahn said:

The play-offs in those days were mad - a third deciding game in Lisbon.

Most exotic place a Scottish club played off. Rangers twice went to Highbury in London and once Paris.

Every other time (Dunfermline and Hearts v Zaragoza, Hearts v Lausanne, Hibs v Roma and Valencia) our sides agreed to go away again.

Scotland v Czechoslovakia in 1961 was Brussels.

Edited by HibeeJibee

On 31/10/2023 at 09:50, Eednud said:

It was the Preliminary Round and seems that’s what they had from season 2 1956/57 until 1966/67.

10 hours ago, ScottyDee1893 said:

The game against Cologne is shown in the records as a Preliminary round. Anderlecht, who Dundee would beat in the QF's, also beat Real Madrid in this round. I'm not sure why they had a preliminary round as there were obviously a lot less countries in Europe then with USSR and Yugoslavia in existence.

On second thoughts though I've maybe answered my own question. The reduced number of countries compared to now maybe meant a shorter preliminary round would provide 16 entrants for the first round.

7 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

It appears to have been a wholly nominal description: there were 30 entrants so literally everybody contested the Preliminary except for holders Benfica and Stade Reims who got random bye.

7 hours ago, Eednud said:

Apart from the first competition in 1955/56 the opening round was the Preliminary Round until 1967/68 when it was the First Round.

... and that was only because there were 16 entrants in 1955-56 and 32 entrants in 1967-68 and 1968-69. It was not until 1972-73 when numbers briefly dipped below 32 again that it stuck as First Round regardless. From then only when numbers rose slightly above 32 were the tie(s) required to get it down branded Preliminary.

There was an interesting phenomenon in 1966-67 which had 33 entrants... despite this 2 ties were played in Preliminary Round, as holders Real Madrid still received bye to Last 16.

Thanks for the explanations chaps.

I'd always assumed the First Round in those days was in fact the first round.

The quest for the perfect number to keep dividing by two, seems to have been key.

... and that was only because there were 16 entrants in 1955-56 and 32 entrants in 1967-68 and 1968-69. It was not until 1972-73 when numbers briefly dipped below 32 again that it stuck as First Round regardless. From then only when numbers rose slightly above 32 were the tie(s) required to get it down branded Preliminary.

There was an interesting phenomenon in 1966-67 which had 33 entrants... despite this 2 ties were played in Preliminary Round, as holders Real Madrid still received bye to Last 16.

Not only that, one team, 17 Nentori of Albania pulled out! It seems (Wiki) that that was the first year that USSR entered a team.

At the time, here were 32 National Leagues that entered teams. Wales either weren't allowed enter or didn't bother which is peculiar seeing as they did enter the Cup Winners' Cup.

It was very handy if the holders had also won their league, reducing to 32. I remember in 77-78 Liverpool, as Holders getting a Bye because the Albanians didn't enter and Liverpool had won the English League. 

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

Most exotic place a Scottish club played off. Rangers twice went to Highbury in London and once Paris.

Every other time (Dunfermline and Hearts v Zaragoza, Hearts v Lausanne, Hibs v Roma and Valencia) our sides agreed to go away again.

Scotland v Czechoslovakia in 1967 was Brussels.

1961 ?

25 minutes ago, Piquet said:

Not only that, one team, 17 Nentori of Albania pulled out! It seems (Wiki) that that was the first year that USSR entered a team.

At the time, here were 32 National Leagues that entered teams. Wales either weren't allowed enter or didn't bother which is peculiar seeing as they did enter the Cup Winners' Cup.

It was very handy if the holders had also won their league, reducing to 32. I remember in 77-78 Liverpool, as Holders getting a Bye because the Albanians didn't enter and Liverpool had won the English League. 

There wasn't a national league or equivalent competition in Wales until 1992; there still isn't in Liechtenstein.

Saarland disappeared after inaugural 1955-56.

Excluding those oddities 30 members were reached in 1960 (when Malta joined) and 32 in 1962 (Cyprus + Turkey) so thereafter 1 preliminary tie was required if holder hadn't "done the double" unless somebody was banned/boycotting/etc. Nobody else joined until 1988.

19 minutes ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

1961 ?

You're quite correct.

Edited by HibeeJibee

On 29/10/2023 at 23:20, HibeeJibee said:

65yrs ago:

Opening of Palmerston floodlights
Queen of the South 0-6 Preston North End

image.png.8135372bfbc5c8f0bf3e13e3fe3f161a.png     image.png.bc27f007ed34655e4e21870153c53a02.png

image.png.4809049845b3d8b4cc312727336a687f.png

Illustrating what varied diet football involved back then other games that night included England v British Army, Irish League v League of Ireland, Oxford University v Royal Navy, Stockport County v RAF and Everton v Liverpool in 2nd leg of Liverpool Floodlight Cup Final, while the night before witnessed Chelsea v South Africa in a tour match to be followed by Aston Villa v GAIS Gothenburg and Leicester v Borussia Dortmund.

As a Dundee supporter I remember a Wednesday night cup tie at Palmerston in the 70s/80s.

Alan Ball was the Queens goalkeeper-Queens were defending the open terracing and the ball went out for a goal kick.

That terracing was full of Dundee fans giving Ball a bit of verbals- he bent down to pick up the ball and gobbed a huge greener into the face of a Dundee supporter at the front of the terracing.

The good old days of Scottish football.

3 hours ago, Bobby12340 said:

As a Dundee supporter I remember a Wednesday night cup tie at Palmerston in the 70s/80s.

Alan Ball was the Queens goalkeeper-Queens were defending the open terracing and the ball went out for a goal kick.

That terracing was full of Dundee fans giving Ball a bit of verbals- he bent down to pick up the ball and gobbed a huge greener into the face of a Dundee supporter at the front of the terracing.

The good old days of Scottish football.

Was that the night Queens won 6-0?

18 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

There wasn't a national league or equivalent competition in Wales until 1992; there still isn't in Liechtenstein.

Saarland disappeared after inaugural 1955-56.

Excluding those oddities 30 members were reached in 1960 (when Malta joined) and 32 in 1962 (Cyprus + Turkey) so thereafter 1 preliminary tie was required if holder hadn't "done the double" unless somebody was banned/boycotting/etc. Nobody else joined until 1988.

You're quite correct.

Leading 2 - 1 at one time.

Went into extra time.

Baxter and Crerand supposedly " fighting " over a water bottle "

Glorious failure ?!

On 17/01/2018 at 23:00, Flybhoy said:

In hindsight, like Celtic scoring in the first minute away to PSG, we only annoyed Brazil here and paid the price in the end..

26c5c85664a4a06216c82b238f7442b8.jpg

images.jpeg

Incredible story about that day.

4 of us were staying in Fuengirola and frequenting a pub owned by Bert Slater , Falkirk,Liverpool and the n Dundee goal keeper who had a great game in the 1964 cup final ,Rangers eventually winning with 2 very late goals-my dad had already said to me that we would be back on the Wednesday night for a replay.131,000 at that cup final.

Anyway Bert got us tickets and we hired a car and drove up to Seville and got to the ground early - but it was very quiet.

We had gone to the wrong ground in Seville-Seville’s ground not Real Beth’s where the game was to be played.

Back into the car and round Seville.

Best ever day at the football-no beer left anywhere near the ground about 2 hours before kick off-had to get a taxi to another area and bring back a carry out.

Game kicked off about 8.30 I think and it was still over 80 degrees-we were dripping on the terracing,never mind playing in it.

Sticks in my memory how good Brazil were.

2 minutes ago, Bobby12340 said:

Incredible story about that day.

4 of us were staying in Fuengirola and frequenting a pub owned by Bert Slater , Falkirk,Liverpool and the n Dundee goal keeper who had a great game in the 1964 cup final ,Rangers eventually winning with 2 very late goals-my dad had already said to me that we would be back on the Wednesday night for a replay.131,000 at that cup final.

Anyway Bert got us tickets and we hired a car and drove up to Seville and got to the ground early - but it was very quiet.

We had gone to the wrong ground in Seville-Seville’s ground not Real Beth’s where the game was to be played.

Back into the car and round Seville.

Best ever day at the football-no beer left anywhere near the ground about 2 hours before kick off-had to get a taxi to another area and bring back a carry out.

Game kicked off about 8.30 I think and it was still over 80 degrees-we were dripping on the terracing,never mind playing in it.

Sticks in my memory how good Brazil were.

I got tickets from him as well. Had to wait in his pub all day for him to turn up, then he overcharged for the tickets. An old rogue!

Worth noting that the Scottish Cup Final in 1952(before my time) between Motherwell and Dundee attracted 136,000.

Largest attendance ever in Scotland without any of the old firm playing.

Dundee won the League Cup in 51/52 and 52/53.

Edited by Bobby12340