A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

5 hours ago, Piquet said:

In Ireland, up to the 60s, corners was used to decide drawn games in the Dublin City Cup, which, for some reason, was open to teams from outside Dublin. 

Meanwhile in Belfast & Dublin Inter-City Cup there were always 12 entrants and 6 ties in R1, with the 2 sides who lost by the narrowest margins also progressing to QFs.

e.g. 1941-42:

image.thumb.png.7a6dd026a606baca1d6e5d28997da45b.png

Edited by HibeeJibee

15 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Just playing Peter the Pedant with your usually impeccable facts, but surely we don’t have vicars in Scotland? The link below states that Churchill was an English rev who lived in Moffat but makes no mention of him holding a post.

http://sfha.org.uk/churchillcup.htm

I can do football, but not religion...Scottish religion baffles me, it seems that if I had a disagreement with a clergyman I'd have somehow started a new denomination.

The Dumfries and Galloway Standard of 6 December 1879 reports that Moffat F.C. has been formed "chiefly through the efforts of (W. H.) Churchill of St Ninians"; I assumed that was a church, but it may be a school.  He's described as a reverend though on his marriage the next year, officiated by the Rev. Hilliard - father of the bride - and the Rev. Frank Churchill, presumably W. H.'s brother.  (All a bit Alabama, frankly.)

Danny McGrain also in portrait gallery. Haven’t seen this one before. It’s a bit “busy” for my tastes, but it’s good to see footballers of my youth have been immortalised in our national art collection! Makes me feel terribly old. 

Looking forward to seeing Joe Tortolano or Brian Irvine next time I visit here.

IMG_9480.jpeg

IMG_9481.jpeg

On 16/12/2023 at 08:41, The Mantis said:

Just playing Peter the Pedant with your usually impeccable facts, but surely we don’t have vicars in Scotland? The link below states that Churchill was an English rev who lived in Moffat but makes no mention of him holding a post.

http://sfha.org.uk/churchillcup.htm

On 16/12/2023 at 12:21, HibeeJibee said:

Scottish Episcopal Church - i.e. Anglican - ordinands are officially 'rectors' (before 1890 they were 'incumbents'); but not uncommon for people to call them 'vicar'; especially worshippers from down South (afterall outsiders often call it "the English church").

William Henry Churchill only actually ministered in Moffat St John the Evangelist - as a 'chaplain' - from 1879 to 1880 leaving to become master of Stone House prep school, Broadstairs, Kent. It became a charge in its own right the year he left and a full incumbency from 1889.

12 hours ago, bluearmyfaction said:

I can do football, but not religion...Scottish religion baffles me, it seems that if I had a disagreement with a clergyman I'd have somehow started a new denomination.

The Dumfries and Galloway Standard of 6 December 1879 reports that Moffat F.C. has been formed "chiefly through the efforts of (W. H.) Churchill of St Ninians"; I assumed that was a church, but it may be a school.  He's described as a reverend though on his marriage the next year, officiated by the Rev. Hilliard - father of the bride - and the Rev. Frank Churchill, presumably W. H.'s brother.  (All a bit Alabama, frankly.)

Same man... St Ninians was a prep school in Moffat. He was a clergyman, who'd evidently gone into teaching - obvious chap to be leading services  on the side in a local start-up Anglican church.

St Ninian's School, Moffat - Wikipedia

St Ninian's Preparatory School was a private preparatory school for boys in Moffat, Scotland.[1] St Ninian's Preparatory School for boys was founded in 1879 by Arthur John Caswall Dowding and Reverend William Henry Churchill.[1] Dowding had previously been an Assistant Master for three years at Fettes College in Edinburgh.[1] E. W. Hornung was one of the nine boys with which the school opened at Easter 1879. In 1887, the Reverend John William Rundall, who was Assistant Master at St Ninian's from 1882-1887, became the new owner and headmaster of the school, until his death in 1903.[2]

Hugh Dowding, son of the founder, was born at the school in 1882 and educated there. In 1987, to honour the contribution made by Lord Dowding during the Second World War, the RAF Association in conjunction with the RAF Benevolent Fund, purchased St Ninian's School, his birthplace.[7] The building was renamed Dowding House and restored to provide sheltered housing for former members of the Royal Air Force or their dependents.[8]

Well Road Centre, Moffat, Scotland - History of the Schools of Moffat (archive.org)

image.png.6e34db4f7a00840b11671be136bfaf2f.png

The Field - 12th April 1879

image.png.4d787f81b43634fb7d2220c1023d9f67.png

On 15/12/2023 at 13:18, kennie makevin said:

Alex Hamilton and Ian Ure 1963 ? And one for Tam Cowan... Motherwell had 3 players in the Scotland team at Wembley in 1961 !!!!

Hamilton and Ure would be the last 2 Dundee players to represent Scotland in the same team against England at Wembley. The original post said last 2 Dundee players to play against England at Wembley. Wilson and Campbell did this for N. Ireland in 1969

On 17/12/2023 at 15:53, HibeeJibee said:

406057544_10159914525546538_277450574856

What a great picture!

Here's one inside in 1952, a Scottish Cup tie v Hibs, 0-0 before a huge 30,206 crowd.The replay was also a scoreless draw before Rovers triumphed in the second replay, held at Tynecastle.

RaithRoversvHibernianFCScottishcupmatch(1952).jpg.c1e322993ea5451848904049c823817d.jpg

And here's some film from the first match:

The three games were watched by almost 94,000 paying customers.

On 17/12/2023 at 11:35, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Danny McGrain also in portrait gallery. Haven’t seen this one before. It’s a bit “busy” for my tastes, but it’s good to see footballers of my youth have been immortalised in our national art collection! Makes me feel terribly old. 

Looking forward to seeing Joe Tortolano or Brian Irvine next time I visit here.

IMG_9480.jpeg

IMG_9481.jpeg

Is that 'Rangers' tartan Danny's wearing? 

40 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

We all know that the refs favour the Old and Infirm but placing him in your wall really is a step too far.

Celtic were already 0-1 down at the time so the ref had to try and take precautions. Didn't work amusingly.