A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 27/01/2024 at 20:00, HibeeJibee said:

Surprised it hasn't been covered more widely (all I see is an article by Alan Patullo in The Scotsman) but tomorrow is 50th anniversary of senior Sunday football in Scotland.

Against background of Yom Kippur War and an oil shock the miners began an overtime ban in autumn 1973 - the government declared a state of emergency in mid-November (plus soon after banned floodlit sport btw). After the pitmen went on complete strike a Three Day Week began on 1st January 1974... with half the areas of the country working Thursday-Saturday... and a week after England, clubs in Scotland started moving games to Sunday from 27th January, beginning with Scottish Cup R3 ties.

Dixie Deans scored Scotland's inaugural first class Sunday goal - at Parkhead for Celtic v Clydebank.

Sunday games here ceased after 16th March with the end of the emergency. Interestingly thereafter we had surprisingly few Sunday games (and none of high profile) for many years... however from 1984 the League Cup Final was played on a Sunday - then from 1990s televised matches in top flight became progressively frequent, as well as occasional internationals.

Ironically there aren't any SPFL games tomorrow.

image.png.b85eb1549b1ff811861b528f4a8759db.png

cca87731c1746d194a30239f24a50b24

282ff44564e0b6a4f2c6a37091de6bc4

Sure John Greig's testimonial (late 1970s) was a Sunday and 60,000 turned up.

Aberdeen's Dave Johnston (9), Jens Peterson (6), Ally Shewan (3) and Frank Munro (4) prepare for a match in their Washington Whips guise..at least I think that is the recently opened DC Stadium behind them (which became the RFK Stadium although this is 1967 and RFK still has a year to live and Sirhan Sirhan yet to be identified as this year's patsy) and not Pittodrie.

As an aside, I was in the RFK Stadium for a DC United match against Sporting Kansas City in 2010, and it was slightly dilapidated (so not completely unlike Pittodrie), and half full of Mexicans eating Mexican food and nobody else which suggested to me that  football hadn't really taken hold Stateside.

Shewan.jpeg.df4d89a38eb0ca81a5fbbdb5066b56b2.jpeg 

9 hours ago, Molotov said:

To be fair it was a shock in Paisley too This win really was the catalyst to go on and win the old 1st division and get promoted to the Fine Fare Premier League. 

Surely 'Fine Fare' was still a few years off at that point?

Soon enough though, everything that couldn't be nailed down was up for sale.  

I agree with you about promotion spots.  I liked the jeopardy of 2 down from 10. 

9 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

@Molotov, the Buddies were two clear of Clydebank going into the cup game, and beat Dundee at home in their next league fixture. Don't think the Dee had topped the table since early in the season, although as you say they were favourites at the outset. 

There's a great app for Android phones on called 'Scottish Football League Info' which provides tables week by week over the seasons, and much more above, useful to confirm or more often deny memories of years gone by.

Yeah. That’s what I meant. Dundee were favourites before the start of the season as they had just been relegated from top flight. 
But as you say Saints and Clydebank were the two main contenders for the league title. Good times. 

31 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Surely 'Fine Fare' was still a few years off at that point?

Soon enough though, everything that couldn't be nailed down was up for sale.  

I agree with you about promotion spots.  I liked the jeopardy of 2 down from 10. 

Yeah. You’re right. I’m way off. Incredible. Auld age plays tricks on the mind.
It was the season that Hearts bottle crashed that Fine Fare was first sponsor.

IMG_7336.thumb.jpeg.de08b0b4c2ea8d7bb11c6882d1790895.jpeg

Saints won 6-2 on that opening game!

IMG_7335.thumb.jpeg.0ea90ab5ac448d9e8d5c33b73a6e9ed9.jpeg

Scotland line up in Israel on a friendly on this day in 1986, judging by the background it's clear the fixture has failed to capture the imagination of the locals.

Eamonn Bannon scored the only goal of the game. 

FB_IMG_1706619039006.jpg

1966 Scottish Cup final replay, won by a solitary goal by Rangers Danish full back Kai Johansen.

The King's Park/Celtic end terrace in the background was, at that time the largest 'end terrace' in the world. 

FB_IMG_1705775857637.jpg

Prompted by @Flybhoy

Other pictures from 1982 WC with my favourite at the end…..I think all Scottish players in these pictures won major European honours (excluding Super Cup)

IMG_7346.jpeg.1673bf4cb23c0b133acb3c850f7c0612.jpeg

Souness & Evans - European Cup

IMG_7348.jpeg.64981b219a9486568a96446f7bb1cee8.jpeg

Wark - UEFA cup

IMG_7345.jpeg.831f810973fe46ac36332271d4834375.jpeg

Strachan - European Cup Winners Cup

IMG_7343.jpeg.443f71b3e87bda3f62fc96d7b25e872b.jpeg

Robertson - European Cup (plus Strachan)

IMG_7342.jpeg.04d10f10b265954438c36a2031043828.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Steve Archibald from that squad also won the 1984 UEFA Cup with Tottenham as did Alan Brazil who won it as well with Ipswich Town in, I think 81 ?

Let’s not forget Hansen, Dalglish, Leighton, McLeish, Miller, Burley, Frank Gray all won major European trophies.

Joe Jordan was a runner up in EC and ECWC with Leeds as was Frank Gray. 

Easier to list players who never got to a major European final. 

I would say those who never made it to a European club final from the Scotland WC 1982 squad were

George Wood, Alan Rough, Asa Hartford, Danny McGrain and Davie Provan.

Incredible when you think about it.

Arguably our greatest ever World Cup squad?

https://www.fifa.com/tournaments/mens/worldcup/1982spain/teams/43967

IMG_7350.thumb.jpeg.804d638bf5d460114f45c0af2a0f8ff7.jpeg

Even the 1986 squad, if you look at the players who DIDN'T make it was pretty special and under achieved, although we were in a group of death with Ze Germans, Denmark and Uruguay..

Among those who didn't travel to Mexico were, Mo Johnston, Brian McClair, Ally McCoist, Alan Hansen, Ray Stewart, Pat Nevin, John Robertson (Hearts version) Andy Gray and Eric Black.... all top players in top form at the time.

I'm still raging at Steve Nicol's silly fucking side foot effort to miss that absolute fucking sitter in the last game against Uruguay who played 89 minutes with ten men and arguably could have had another four or five red cards, promping Ernie Walker to call them 'the scum of World football' .... an incredibly blunt and controversial statement for the head of a national association to make about another country and, one which would doubtful be tolerated today, even though it was 100% correct. 

I often wonder if the referee didn't send off any of the other Uruguay players for their animal like behaviour because he may have thought he was a bit hasty with that first minute red card.

6 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Aberdeen's Dave Johnston (9), Jens Peterson (6), Ally Shewan (3) and Frank Munro (4) prepare for a match in their Washington Whips guise..at least I think that is the recently opened DC Stadium behind them (which became the RFK Stadium although this is 1967 and RFK still has a year to live and Sirhan Sirhan yet to be identified as this year's patsy) and not Pittodrie.

As an aside, I was in the RFK Stadium for a DC United match against Sporting Kansas City in 2010, and it was slightly dilapidated (so not completely unlike Pittodrie), and half full of Mexicans eating Mexican food and nobody else which suggested to me that  football hadn't really taken hold Stateside.

Poignant as Ally Shewan has just passed away...

3 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Scotland line up in Israel on a friendly on this day in 1986, judging by the background it's clear the fixture has failed to capture the imagination of the locals.

Eamonn Bannon scored the only goal of the game. 

FB_IMG_1706619039006.jpg

Paul McStay scored the only goal...the Israeli keeper that day died in a speedboat accident a few months later and the live match coverage was interrupted  with news of the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster....And I believe it was at this game, played in January 1986, that Alex Ferguson's assistant Walter Smith first discussed with Fergie the possiblity of Smith joining Souness as his assistant at Oldco that summer...

Edited by Bogbrush1903

9 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Even the 1986 squad, if you look at the players who DIDN'T make it was pretty special and under achieved, although we were in a group of death with Ze Germans, Denmark and Uruguay..

Among those who didn't travel to Mexico were, Mo Johnston, Brian McClair, Ally McCoist, Alan Hansen, Ray Stewart, Pat Nevin, John Robertson (Hearts version) Andy Gray and Eric Black.... all top players in top form at the time.

I'm still raging at Steve Nicol's silly fucking side foot effort to miss that absolute fucking sitter in the last game against Uruguay who played 89 minutes with ten men and arguably could have had another four or five red cards, promping Ernie Walker to call them 'the scum of World football' .... an incredibly blunt and controversial statement for the head of a national association to make about another country and, one which would doubtful be tolerated today, even though it was 100% correct. 

I often wonder if the referee didn't send off any of the other Uruguay players for their animal like behaviour because he may have thought he was a bit hasty with that first minute red card.

Had Jock Stein still been alive I wonder what would have changed with the 1986 WC squad who went and ultimately played. 

Fergie clearly had some bias/loyalty to many players he worked with or knew in Scotland.

The issues with team discipline following events away to Australia also had an effect. 

Plus let’s not forget once again the SFA blazers never covered themselves in glory with the chosen hotel “accommodation” and training facilities. 

10 hours ago, Molotov said:

Let’s not forget Hansen, Dalglish, Leighton, McLeish, Miller, Burley, Frank Gray all won major European trophies.

Joe Jordan was a runner up in EC and ECWC with Leeds as was Frank Gray. 

Easier to list players who never got to a major European final. 

I would say those who never made it to a European club final from the Scotland WC 1982 squad were

George Wood, Alan Rough, Asa Hartford, Danny McGrain and Davie Provan.

Incredible when you think about it.

Arguably our greatest ever World Cup squad?

https://www.fifa.com/tournaments/mens/worldcup/1982spain/teams/43967

IMG_7350.thumb.jpeg.804d638bf5d460114f45c0af2a0f8ff7.jpeg

And we still couldn't get out of the group. Though I would suggest that man for man the squad that didn't even qualify for '66 was superior. 

15 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

No, I think that's the Pittodrie Mainer before the fire.

Ladies football at Gayfield!

image.jpeg.3147eefcc7712714656bd147bac0ae89.jpeg

Alexander Penny profile, 16th Match 1895

image.thumb.jpeg.a6c33530f4f697b90c962aa176e8777b.jpeg

A description of the Orion front line in 1895....

image.jpeg.34deabf2c8e612df33a7507910e74bd7.jpeg

Forfarshire Cup finals from 1883 - 1897

image.jpeg.61cac79a568ee1faaa3224fd25b3430e.jpeg

December 1896 - the club professional in name, but without the resources of the bigger clubs.

image.jpeg.38878654c2792107217d2cf438ef8b9d.jpeg

19 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I believe it was at this game, played in January 1986, that Alex Ferguson's assistant Walter Smith first discussed with Fergie the possiblity of Smith joining Souness as his assistant at Oldco that summer...

Was it known that even Souness was heading to Ibrox then? 

That didn't happen until April of that year I think.

I'm maybe wrong, but I recall that as a bolt from the blue, rather than as something that looked on the cards in advance.