A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

45 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Am I losing it or has the last page just been duplicated?

A couple different threads over the last few days for me I've clicked the next page and it's just been a repeat of the same page I was on; click back to the previous page and it's completely different. Assuming it's just some weird bug with the forum (@Div using Chrome FWIW) and not my sanity on the way out.

On 11/02/2024 at 13:16, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Hey, the lad was fine in amongst a boisterous and confident visiting support of 4 or 5,000, so everyone's experiences must have been the same, right?

Before the South Terracing was demolished and rebuilt Hearts used to take up to 10k to Easter Road. 

For me, leaving the Shrubhill Masonic Club, heading along Albert Street or sometimes Brunswick Road we never encountered those damn pesky well dressed liberty takers, maybe because there was always around a dozen of us, who knows. 

Obviously after the game, 10k boisterous Hearts fans walking along the Albion Road and up Easter Road would have been far too much for the dynamic CCS to take on. 

21 minutes ago, jamtart1972 said:

Before the South Terracing was demolished and rebuilt Hearts used to take up to 10k to Easter Road. 

For me, leaving the Shrubhill Masonic Club, heading along Albert Street or sometimes Brunswick Road we never encountered those damn pesky well dressed liberty takers, maybe because there was always around a dozen of us, who knows. 

Obviously after the game, 10k boisterous Hearts fans walking along the Albion Road and up Easter Road would have been far too much for the dynamic CCS to take on. 

Gosh, 10k. How impressive. 🙄

Again, your experiences have no bearing on those of other teams' fans. This should not be difficult to grasp for you.

1 hour ago, jamtart1972 said:

Right, we all agree, you're as hard as fucking nails.

On 26/01/2024 at 23:32, Flybhoy said:

Often overlooked that Mo Johnston missed a sitter.... or was it a wonder save from Tafarel in injury time that would have got us a point which would have qualified us for the knock out stage, as another post mentioned I distinctly remember Uruguay scoring a goal about half an hour into fucking stoppage to beat South Korea in another group which edged them past us as one of the best 3rd place sides, I believe 4 out of 6 third place finishes went through.... we were ranked 5th I believe thanks to that fucking Uruguay goal !

Events definitely conspired against us, although the opening game loss went a long way. Even so, we had chances to go through if other results put us as one of the best 3rd placed teams - 

We needed Germany to beat Colombia, preferably by more than 1 goal. Colombia scored an injury time equaliser.

We then needed South Korea to take a point off Uruguay. After the main live game, the cameras switched and showed us the final minute of injury time - in that moment Uruguay scored the only goal of the game.

We needed both England v Egypt and Ireland v Netherlands to finish 1-0 to someone. For a while, England and Netherlands were 1-0 up and we were heading for a draw of lots with Austria. Then Ireland equalised and it was officially over.

After a 0-0 draw at Easter Road a week earlier in front of a 15,000 crowd, Dundee and Hibs drew 0-0 again in the Scottish Cup Third Round Replay at Dens on 14 February 1903 before 24,000. The following week the Second Replay was held at Ibrox with 36,000 watching Dundee defeat the Cup holders 1-0. One week later Dundee drew 0-0 with Hearts in the Semi Final at Dens, then a week later lost 0-1 in the replay at Tynecastle. Images from the Scottish Referee courtesy The Dee Archive.

IMG_1902.jpeg

IMG_1903.jpeg

7 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

43 years ago today this happened, and Benny Rooney's Morton knocked Fergie's Aberdeen out of the Scottish Cup.

Just an incredibly, amazing goal !

and he was Scottish , and he was uncapped !

I think he did play for Celtic for a short time .

32 minutes ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

Just an incredibly, amazing goal !

and he was Scottish , and he was uncapped !

I think he did play for Celtic for a short time .

We did a swap deal with Celtic - they got Roy Baines, we got Andy Ritchie plus cash. When Latchford and Bonner became the main Celtic keepers, we got Baines back for nothing.

On 10/02/2024 at 13:09, Arch Stanton said:

I would have said it was Meadowbank. However, Kilbowie was definitely all seated before Pittodrie.

I've always heard it as Kilbowie. Meadowbank had the few steps of terracing around the track. Although not in use, I'd imagine that meant that technically it wasn't an all seater as it could be opened if required? What Meadowbank did have for a while of course was it's own train station, although it wouldn't have ever been used for football fans, I'd have thought.

On 12/02/2024 at 19:04, jamtart1972 said:

And you could always smash all the windaes on Easter Rd if you wanted.

Another from the Arbroath Archive. 5,000 at Gayfield on this day in 1936 to see Arbroath and St Johnstone draw 2-2 in the top division. They finished the season 11th and 7th respectively. It ‘s a pity a lot of these clubs were shafted by the League post WW2. 

IMG_1906.jpeg

22 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

43 years ago today this happened, and Benny Rooney's Morton knocked Fergie's Aberdeen out of the Scottish Cup.

Seeing how long ago that was had made me feel very old. I was at the game and don’t think I ever saw The Dons win at Greenock in the 80s.

After that Cup defeat I think we only lost one other Scottish Cup tie while Fergie was the boss, winning 4 times in the following 5 seasons. 

21 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

Screenshot_20240215-152810_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.ccc3f3f0055d2e411bba6fb8781fc611.jpg

Nice to see one of JIm's pictures get prominence. A good old character who got himself around the grounds over the years. He doesn't keep so well these days but still watches Musselburgh.