A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 24/05/2024 at 12:13, microdave said:

They were the first (quite possibly only) twins to play a Champions league final. Good question to stump your mates with.

Frank and Ronald beat them to it playing for Ajax 

25 minutes ago, Glen Scotia said:

I didn't realise they were twins. That's that question ruined😪

42 minutes ago, Glen Scotia said:

Not the European Cup, but the Van der Kerkhof twins, René & Willy, both played at Twente Enschede & PSV Eindhoven, where they won the 1975, 1976 and 1978 championships, along with the 1978 Uefa Cup.

23 minutes ago, paul wright scores said:

Not the European Cup, but the Van der Kerkhof twins, René & Willy, both played at Twente Enschede & PSV Eindhoven, where they won the 1975, 1976 and 1978 championships, along with the 1978 Uefa Cup.

Also played in the 1978 World Cup in Argentina.  I think they were in the Dutch squad for the '74 World Cup as well. 

2 hours ago, microdave said:

I didn't realise they were twins. That's that question ruined😪

I thought Ronald and Frank were part of triplets, with Rupert the most famous (coz "Everyone knows his name.....") 😁

1 hour ago, Alberto Spencer said:

I thought Ronald and Frank were part of triplets, with Rupert the most famous (coz "Everyone knows his name.....") 😁

😂😂

Posted (edited)

26 May 1957 Spain 4 Scotland 1 WC qualifier, Bernabeau Stadium, Madrid. Gordon Smith scored Scotland’s goal. Scotland qualified as top of the 3 team group, Spain didn’t. 

Edited by Eednud

Denis Law taking on Finland in Helsinki 27 May 1965. One time Dundee United and Dumbarton player Davie Wilson scored the equaliser after 37 mins and John Greig the 50th minute winner. 

IMG_2072.jpeg

IMG_2073.jpeg

On 19/05/2024 at 03:26, Eednud said:

19 May 1957 after a 4-2 WCQ victory over Spain at Hampden 11 days earlier Scotland defeated Switzerland 2-1 in Basel in front of 48,000. Switzerland took the lead after 13 mins. Blackpool’s Jackie Mudie after 33 mins and Clyde’s Tommy Ring in the 72nd min won the game. 7 days later Scotland lost 1-4 in Madrid but in November beat Switzerland 3-2 at Hampden to qualify for the 1958 WC in Sweden. In between the away games in Basel and Madrid Scotland defeated West Germany 3-1 in a Friendly in Stuttgart.

I’m guessing Scotland wore red shorts in this game.

Orange, apparently.

"When Scotland travelled to Berne in 1957 for a World Cup Qualifier against Switzerland, the team had to borrow a set of orange shorts so that viewers watching the game live on the rather primitive TVs of the time could tell the teams apart."

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/international/scotland/scotland-1946-1960.html

11 hours ago, Eednud said:

Denis Law taking on Finland in Helsinki 27 May 1965. One time Dundee United and Dumbarton player Davie Wilson scored the equaliser after 37 mins and John Greig the 50th minute winner. 

IMG_2072.jpeg

IMG_2073.jpeg

That's the great Willie Hamilton in his only appearance for Scotland. Jock stein once said he was the most gifted player he ever managed (while Jock was at Hibs he coaxed some great performances from him). 

Alan Gordon told me once that going abroad for a Hearts European tie Willie turned up with no holdall, just a plastic bag with a change of y-fronts plus a couple of bottles clinking away...). In a nutshell, why Hamilton's career ended early and he was dead at 38. I was too young for his first time at Hearts, but in his second spell he could still turn it on despite carrying a pot-belly 😀

4 hours ago, Alberto Spencer said:

That's the great Willie Hamilton in his only appearance for Scotland. Jock stein once said he was the most gifted player he ever managed (while Jock was at Hibs he coaxed some great performances from him). 

Alan Gordon told me once that going abroad for a Hearts European tie Willie turned up with no holdall, just a plastic bag with a change of y-fronts plus a couple of bottles clinking away...). In a nutshell, why Hamilton's career ended early and he was dead at 38. I was too young for his first time at Hearts, but in his second spell he could still turn it on despite carrying a pot-belly 😀

I'm quite sure I saw Willie Hamilton 'guesting' for Ross County in a pre season friendly around 1971/72 in Dingwall. 

8 minutes ago, paul wright scores said:

I'm quite sure I saw Willie Hamilton 'guesting' for Ross County in a pre season friendly around 1971/72 in Dingwall. 

Yes, that was him towards the end of his career. His final stop was Hamilton Accies but drink had taken its toll.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Alberto Spencer said:

Yes, that was him towards the end of his career. His final stop was Hamilton Accies but drink had taken its toll.

He emigrated to Canada and died of a heart attack at 38.

https://archive.today/20120720173611/http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport.cfm?id=139922006

Edited by Jacksgranda

84yrs ago today with the Dunkirk evacuation in progress and France on the brink of surrender the Scottish League decided to cease operation for the only time in its history... ultimately lasting 6yrs:

image.png.adf8c8ccdce5378310226512cb70b7ba.png

image.thumb.png.9b810162ec24e661830118032c5e02b0.png

image.png.ea692c39cd8fbad497296b72fe0b30ce.png

image.thumb.png.d502041a1ce4c23848ea6c37fce3f23d.png     image.thumb.png.cf7add766d7487fd52e583b5317b788f.png

image.thumb.png.ab27dbdf2da75cd192fbc7ae5c277dce.png          image.png.5e970cff73d80917d250e9382637fcf8.png

image.png.6c30bd7dca0576b9d3f353f0d0057e72.png     image.png.ecaf8882da9af6e0ec809d9fc9c126f2.png

A claim by Dunfermline Athletic against
Falkirk for a
guarantee in the match played on May 6 was refused, and one by Dundee United against Dunfermline Athletic for the
match on May 18 granted.

Disgrace GIF by Adult Swim

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

A claim by Dunfermline Athletic against
Falkirk for a
guarantee in the match played on May 6 was refused, and one by Dundee United against Dunfermline Athletic for the
match on May 18 granted.

Disgrace GIF by Adult Swim

Basically you were chancers... Falkirk didn't have to pay you full guarantee as game was midweek (albeit May Day Monday) - you'd to pay Dundee Utd full guarantee as game was on a Saturday, namely 18th May, the league season having been extended into May owing to the national emergency. Both appear to have been displaced by War Emergency Cup ties during March.

It's an interesting reflection of how low crowds were getting - and how parlous club finances must have become - the dispute was over not paying out the full £50 minimum i.e. the gates must have been <£100.

Entry was generally 1s men & 6d boys (with many clubs admitting servicemen in uniform for 6d). To sit usually cost 2s but the hosts kept the extra IIRC. Anyway... you'd need 2,000 men or say 1,800 men & 400 boys/servicemen to make £100. Presumably neither game attracted that many.

Consider too that - for only time in Scottish football history - a maximum weekly wage was operating, fixed at just £2 (incidentally higher than England in effect where it was £1 10s per game). So at most £44 was needed to cover the 22 players wages.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Posted (edited)

The Stirlingshire Cup competition has been resurrected, a huge trophy and one of the oldest in the Scotland.

20240412_194330.thumb.jpg.57b4c172f6206d1a4e02c11cef1be5aa.jpg

The draw is being made at the Stirlingshire FA AGM this evening. 

Stenhousemuir are the present holders, having beaten East Stirlingshire in the last competition played, season 2014-15. The photograph above is from the Stenhousemuir boardroom.

Edited by Dundee Hibernian