A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 08/09/2024 at 14:00, megaspinnernet2 said:

Scotland squad pictured at Wembley in 1969.

Scotland squad pictured at Wembley in 1969..jpg

5 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Is there a reason the likes of Bobby Lennox, Jimmy Johnstone etc weren't in that squad? Makes you wonder how much better Scotland could have done back then if we had actually played our best players. 

5 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

Jimmy Johnstone played against England in 66, 70, 71 & 74 . Won one, Drew one, Lost two. Willie Henderson played against England in 63, 64, 65 & 69. Won two, Drew one, Lost one. I do agree that Lennox should have played more for Scotland, however.

3 hours ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

Bobby Lennox did score in 1967  ? I just wonder where he would play ? being primarily right footed . We were not short of brilliant ( left ) wingers then ; Eddie Gray , Charlie Cooke , Willie Johnston

1 hour ago, kennie makevin said:

Very OF heavy that squad....McNeil, Murdoch, Gemmell , Wallace & Greg, Henderson, Stein, Johnston. 

Jinky Johnstone and Lennox were in the 1969 squad - they just aren't in the photo:

20200124_100419-scaled.jpg20200124_100435-scaled.jpg

Remember that basically you just had your starting XI only in those days... indeed 1968-69 was the first Home Championships to allow any substitutes and even then just a single switch (Alan Gilzean replaced Willie Wallace on 57mins).

Scotland had only made a competitive substitution for the first time in a World Cup qualifier the previous autumn.

Much of that squad had come along for little more than a jolly.

Edited by HibeeJibee

9 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Brilliant Bob, that's why we love P & B.  I'm obviously confusing American ownership with the name....did they have another place in East Kilbride ?

Sorry, I don't think so.

Google throws up nothing,

they were one of many US companies who opened factories in the Inverclyde area.

our tenement got demolished circa '66.

The Joy's site was previously housing where a large community of incoming Irish etc lived in,(possibly called the Backlands) hence the west end of Cappielow being the Wee Dublin End,

NLS maps is your friend...

10 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

indeed 1968-69 was the first Home Championships to allow any substitutes and even then just a single switch (Alan Gilzean replaced Willie Wallace on 57mins).

Wasn’t this also the first time the Home Championship at the end of the season and also the lowest post war Scotland home crowd when a bit over 7.000 turned up for the N.Ireland game midweek?

23 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

Jimmy Johnstone played against England in 66, 70, 71 & 74 . Won one, Drew one, Lost two. Willie Henderson played against England in 63, 64, 65 & 69. Won two, Drew one, Lost one. I do agree that Lennox should have played more for Scotland, however.

My point was mainly about Lennox, the number of caps he got was staggering.  10 caps for a guy that was more than a goal every 2 games for Celtic, their most decorated player and was an absolute speed demon. I know there was plenty to choose from back then but 10 caps seems paltry. 

21 hours ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

Billy McNeil is there !

Bobby Murdoch !

Tommy Gemmill also. ?

It helps if they are fit , and not being abused by our " own " " fans "

Not sure your point, i'm talking about Lennox and Johnstone, particularly Lennox. 

7 hours ago, Eednud said:

Wasn’t this also the first time the Home Championship at the end of the season and also the lowest post war Scotland home crowd when a bit over 7.000 turned up for the N.Ireland game midweek?

Despite there being 2 Ballon d'Or winners on the pitch.

19 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

Very OF heavy that squad....McNeil, Murdoch, Gemmell , Wallace & Greg, Henderson, Stein, Johnston. 

TBF Celtic had not long won the EC, got to the final the year after this game and Rangers won the CWC the year after that. 

38 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

My point was mainly about Lennox, the number of caps he got was staggering.  10 caps for a guy that was more than a goal every 2 games for Celtic, their most decorated player and was an absolute speed demon. I know there was plenty to choose from back then but 10 caps seems paltry. 

Very much so. The two Bobby's (Lennox & Murdoch) were the stand outs for the great late-60s Celtic side. Murdoch had his fitness/weight issues but Bobby Lennox really should have been a Scotland regular for at least 5 years.

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

TBF Celtic had not long won the EC, got to the final the year after this game and Rangers won the CWC the year after that. 

Two years after.

Just now, megaspinnernet2 said:

1st May 1968; Paul Reaney covering the goal line against Dundee in the Fairs Cup Semi Final 2nd Leg, at Dens Park.

This was the first leg of the Inter Cities Fairs Cup Semi-Final at Dens Park which ended in a 1-1 draw Leeds won the second leg 1-0

1st May 1968; Paul Reaney covering the goal line against Dundee in the Fairs Cup Semi Final 2nd Leg, at Dens Park..jpg