A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

14 minutes ago, wellinwigan said:

Was also there when the Miller /Hanson comedy act let the Russians take the lead 

Did you go to New Zealand v. Russia? We got that free with the two Scotland games. Had to go to Fuengerola to Bert Sister's bar to buy Rio off tickets from that old rogue.

Still better than Italy when that cūnt Grigor tried to do all and sundry. I'm very glad I was present when a Dundee Utd supporter nutted him, oh how we all laughed.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

11 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Yeah,  Charlie Nicholas came on, a 70th minute double substitution with Davie Cooper for Steve Nicol and Paul Sturrock.

Fair enough. Knew he had been crocked to an extent. There is footage of him in this at around 15m 30 sec, immediately followed by the Aitken disallowed goal. Haven’t watched it all so not sure if it shows the tackle.

https://youtu.be/BkDS2-D7dhw

Which was absolutely typical of the utterly shambolic wha's like us approach to the whole project. 
Who amongst us can forget Andy Beattie resigning hours before we played Uruguay in 1954? I personally think that our ensuing 7-0 defeat would have been less savage without that particular scandal.

And to this day when I hear the words "rough, fit and good" I can think only of Paraguay 1958.
If I have my years right, in the 1954 World Cup the SFA committee men flow first class while the squad flew in coach. This was the same committee who figured that since the World Cup was going to be held in Switzerland and that was somewhere famous for mountains and winter sports that the team should take heavy long-sleeved woollen jerseys with them to combat the cold then were surprised that our games were played in 30 degree heat.

5 minutes ago, Flash said:

Fair enough. Knew he had been crocked to an extent. There is footage of him in this at around 15m 30 sec, immediately followed by the Aitken disallowed goal. Haven’t watched it all so not sure if it shows the tackle.

https://youtu.be/BkDS2-D7dhw

What is even more depressing about that World Cup, the second top goalscorer in England, Frank McAvennie got approximately 20 minutes at the tournament,  Andy Gray who had been on fire for Everton with 30 goals didn't make the squad, neither did the four top goalscorers in Scotland, Ally McCoist, John Robertson, Brian McClair and M* J*hnst*n, an embarrassment of riches we simply don't have now

Edited by Flybhoy

Guest Moomintroll
Don’t disagree, but McQueen had a knee injury that he sustained when he physically hit the post after clearing off the line v Wales in the Home Internationals.
The thing that pissed me off in '86 was the obvious foul where one of our defenders was clearly pulled by the arm and shoulder prior to the West Germany goal. F**k Lampard and his over the line goal, that was the biggest pre VAR travesty in WC history.

18 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

What is even more depressing about that World Cup, the second top goalscorer in England, Frank McAvennie got approximately 20 minutes at the tournament,  Andy Gray who had been on fire for Everton with 30 goals didn't make the squad, neither did the four top goalscorers in Scotland, Ally McCoist, John Robertson, Brian McClair and M* J*hnst*n, an embarrassment of riches we simply don't have now

Johnston was dropped for disciplinary reasons but was worth a spot. Gray was past his best -- never scored 30 goals for Everton in his life. The others you mention were no better than those picked. 

48 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

If I have my years right, in the 1954 World Cup the SFA committee men flow first class while the squad flew in coach. This was the same committee who figured that since the World Cup was going to be held in Switzerland and that was somewhere famous for mountains and winter sports that the team should take heavy long-sleeved woollen jerseys with them to combat the cold then were surprised that our games were played in 30 degree heat.

Didn't we also travel with a "squad" of thirteen, two of which were goalkeepers, to cover the three group matches?

3 minutes ago, lionel wickson said:

Didn't we also travel with a "squad" of thirteen, two of which were goalkeepers, to cover the three group matches?

I think so. Didn't take the full quantity of players so that blazers' wives could get seats on the plane.