A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

43 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I don't know if it was that season's B&Q Cup but Accies and Meadowbank played out a draw in one B&Q Cup tie followed by a particularly chronic penalty shootout which ended 2-1 after about 10 penalties on each side were taken... 

1992-93 maybe? Semi final at the old DP Enormodome.

Accies retained the ashtray/bottle defeating Morton in the final at old terraced Love St.

Might have been the game in which Morton's promising Alan Mahood (spelling ???)  got badly crocked.

I went for a few pints in Paisley afterwards. I only made that mistake one more time.

17 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Having a debate on clubs wearing change kits etc on Twitter and how often it was the home team who changed in instances of a clash up till the early 1980's, certainly ive seen plenty photos and footage of Celtic wearing change kits at Celtic Park in games v Morton, Kilmarnock, Ayr United, St Mirren and others...

This picture of Andy Ritchie has sparked a bit of debate, I haven't been to Cappielow in about 20 years but I'm sure this picture is taken at Rugby Park meaning Kilmarnock are at home to Morton, not the other way round as a pal is suggesting, any older posters able to help here and possibly name the other players too?

IMG_20200701_212637.jpg

5 hours ago, paul wright scores said:

It's definitely Cappielow - Look at the dug outs and the fact the stand at the left hand side comes right to the front of the pitch.

Ally Mauchlen was one of my favourite Killie players of the late 70s and early 80s and one of the hardest players I ever watched. 

Aye, it's Cappielow. Ally Mauchlen came to mind, but I thought he wasn't as tall as the player pictured. Killie had two or three red headed players around that time, one. I'm sure, a centre back. The Killie boys will know better, but I'm thinking that looked like Jim Clark.

The Morton lad is David Hayes, I'm 99%.

3 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Aye, it's Cappielow. Ally Mauchlen came to mind, but I thought he wasn't as tall as the player pictured. Killie had two or three red headed players around that time, one. I'm sure, a centre back. The Killie boys will know better, but I'm thinking that looked like Jim Clark.

Now you mention it, that looks like Ally Mauchline. Killie, Well, Leicester. To use a popular pundit's euphemism, he was a "hard tackling" midfielder.

You would have needed to have won the bloody thing if the money was going to last 7 years...
There's no doubt Clyde were screwed and it's definitely a 'butterfly effect' moment.

There's this argument that Coventry, Wimbledon etc missed out on European Football because of Liverpool.... however would they have won the cups they did if the circumstances were different?

35 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

There's no doubt Clyde were screwed and it's definitely a 'butterfly effect' moment.

There's this argument that Coventry, Wimbledon etc missed out on European Football because of Liverpool.... however would they have won the cups they did if the circumstances were different?

All of this is making me wonder if my former colleagues other fanciful stories were true.

Maybe he did get off with Sheena Easton at the dancing?

Perhaps he really did once play bass for the Goombay Dance band in their post-chart success period.

But did he really invent 1970s dance craze "The Hucklebuck". 

Maybe it's time for me to be less suspicious of people...

18 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

St Mirren v Aberdeen in the Drybrough Cup Final from, I think 1981 ?

Mark McGhee and a Saints player I can name, I'm sure some-buddie* can name him....

*See what I did there? 😉

IMG_20200702_120530.jpg

1980 (season 1980/81).

4 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

1980 (season 1980/81).

Close enough, I know that's the strip Aberdeen had when they first won the league under Fergie, 79/80 so knew I wasn't far off, that was the days when clubs kept a strip for three or four seasons...  seems a lifetime away now.

9 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Definitely Mauchlen.  I'm wondering if you are thinking of Kenny Armstrong

Jim Clark was another great player but didn't have red hair.

Screenshot 2020-07-02 at 20.24.58.pngScreenshot 2020-07-02 at 20.21.46.png

Edited by paul wright scores

4 minutes ago, Academically Deficient said:

Nice photo. It must have been tough for refs in the middle ages when every Scottish team wore black socks. 

For those of you watching in black and white, Celtic are wearing the dark green socks!

On 02/07/2020 at 06:45, Academically Deficient said:

Cont...in those days you could breenge up to even an OF game and pay at the gate. A few of us were in Glasgow that last Saturday and on a whim decided to go to Ibrox to see a potentially historic game. Took one look at the queue and canned it. Jumped on the Subway back to town and went record shopping. Home in time to see the scenes from Dens on the news.

Yup. I went to that Dundee v United game and just paid at the gate. It was incredibly tense and I'm not even a United fan

On 01/07/2020 at 14:46, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

The former. We were deemed to be a Glasgow team and our place was given to Dundee IIRC.  It was downhill thereafter 😪

Clyde finished third, which is their highest ever league placing. Clyde did not qualify for Europe, however, because Rangers finished second and took the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup place.

Pos Team
[   ]
Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts
1 Celtic 34 26 6 2 111 33 +78 58
2 Rangers 34 24 7 3 92 31 +61 55
3 Clyde 34 20 6 8 64 48 +16 46
4 Aberdeen 34 17 8 9 72 38 +34 42
5 Hibernian 34 19 4 11 72 49 +23 42
6 Dundee 34 16 9 9 74 51 +23 41
7 Kilmarnock 34 16 8 10 59 46 +13 40
8 Dunfermline Athletic 34 14 10 10 72 52 +20 38
9 Dundee United 34 14 9 11 68 62 +6 37
10 Motherwell 34 10 11 13 59 60 −1 31
11 Hearts 34 11 8 15 39 48 −9 30
12 Partick Thistle 34 9 12 13 49 68 −19 30
13 Airdrieonians 34 11 6 17 41 53 −12 28
14 Falkirk 34 11 4 19 33 70 −37 26
15 St Johnstone 34 10 5 19 53 73 −20 25
16 Stirling Albion 34 5 9 20 31 85 −54 19
17 St Mirren (R) 34 4 7 23 25 81 −56 15
18 Ayr United (R) 34 1 7 26 20 86 −66 9
Source: RSSSF

To add insult to injury Dundee reached the semi final beating Standard Liege, DWS Amsterdam and FC Zurich before losing to Leeds United 2-1 on aggregate. The first leg ended 1-1 at Dens with a late Eddie Gray goal winning the tie for Leeds at Elland  Road

5 hours ago, ScottyDee1893 said:

To add insult to injury Dundee reached the semi final beating Standard Liege, DWS Amsterdam and FC Zurich before losing to Leeds United 2-1 on aggregate. The first leg ended 1-1 at Dens with a late Eddie Gray goal winning the tie for Leeds at Elland  Road

Clyde finishing 3rd, Dundee getting to the European Cup Semi Final and Stirling Albion and, erm, Falkirk in the top League?

It's just as well we ditched this 18 team nonsense for the successful set up we have today.... :rolleyes: