A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

25 minutes ago, Andy_K_97 said:

I've always liked the architecture of the stand at Dam Park, and the location of the stadium is good too with the train station and the pubs nearby - but overall I'm not a massive fan as in the stand you feel like you're a fair distance away from the pitch and every time I visit it seems to be cold and rainy.  The worst time I went was when I was in 6th year at school my pals were in the school team in the Ayrshire cup and even though it was this time of year, it just seemed to be oddly cold up the back of the stand. As things were I can't remember who the opposition was - possibly Loudoun or St. Joseph's, but Grange lost anyway. 

Tbf I think it was intended for athletics rather than football when built. The Ayr International Youth Tournament always had the finals there though.

As an aside  I always thought when United started we should have played at Parkhouses ground, where the Odeon is now. 

2 minutes ago, paulbrucerick said:

Tbf I think it was intended for athletics rather than football when built. The Ayr International Youth Tournament always had the finals there though.

As an aside  I always thought when United started we should have played at Parkhouses ground, where the Odeon is now. 

I know it definitely is more an athletics ground than a fitba ground, but overall it'll be decent facilities and I'm sure better than some of the grounds that Whitletts will visit on their travels. I agree with you about Beresford Park - it certainly would have won the "closest ground in relation to a town centre" award, but I don't know nearly enough info about what the ground was like in terms of facilities. A newly-formed United must have just decided that Somerset was the way forward. How long was Beresford Park used as a training ground before the Odeon and the rest of the buildings went up?

13 minutes ago, Andy_K_97 said:

I know it definitely is more an athletics ground than a fitba ground, but overall it'll be decent facilities and I'm sure better than some of the grounds that Whitletts will visit on their travels. I agree with you about Beresford Park - it certainly would have won the "closest ground in relation to a town centre" award, but I don't know nearly enough info about what the ground was like in terms of facilities. A newly-formed United must have just decided that Somerset was the way forward. How long was Beresford Park used as a training ground before the Odeon and the rest of the buildings went up?

Looks pretty basic to be honest. It was demolished in 1926 apparently.

ETA. Yeah an Ayr fan describing another ground as basic!😀

Ayr Parkhouse FC 1927-1.jpg

Edited by paulbrucerick

7 minutes ago, paulbrucerick said:

Looks pretty basic to be honest. It was demolished in 1926 apparently.

ETA. Yeah an Ayr fan describing another ground as basic!😀

Ayr Parkhouse FC 1927-1.jpg

Have to agree, it doesn't look like it had a lot of potential for expanding it or even in a modern context how you could possibly do a rebuild on it. I think I'm right in saying Somerset was rotated 90 degrees in order to have the stadium in the configuration that it is now, and even then at the railway end you're packed in quite tightly. It's really hard to picture a stadium there now.

7 minutes ago, Andy_K_97 said:

Have to agree, it doesn't look like it had a lot of potential for expanding it or even in a modern context how you could possibly do a rebuild on it. I think I'm right in saying Somerset was rotated 90 degrees in order to have the stadium in the configuration that it is now, and even then at the railway end you're packed in quite tightly. It's really hard to picture a stadium there now.

Plenty of room for expansion behind the Railway End now, but I think that might just be earmarked for housing!

1 hour ago, Flybhoy said:

Jimmy Bone, from the same village as me incidentally, Fallin, near Stirling, pictured with Ella Fitzgerald when was playing in Canada. 

IMG_20200612_120709.jpg

Hold the horses! Jimmy Bone and Ella Fitzgerald!!! This could make me give up the drink. WTF was Ella thinking? Gee Gimmy, where did you get these curling tongs?

45 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Alex Miller, ten years as Hibernian manager despite some dreadful teams, shite football and a total hex when it came to the Edinburgh derby, responds to the Hibs fans who constantly called for his head.

IMG_20200612_120720.jpg

Pictured looking for Tortolano after he was sent off for halving Strachan in Gordon Rae's testimonial...

4 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Alex Miller, ten years as Hibernian manager despite some dreadful teams, shite football and a total hex when it came to the Edinburgh derby, responds to the Hibs fans who constantly called for his head.

IMG_20200612_120720.jpg

25% win rate when he moved to Aberdeen. Officially the worst manager that we have ever had. 

love actually solid gold shit GIF

10 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Pictured looking for Tortolano after he was sent off for halving Strachan in Gordon Rae's testimonial...

Universally known to the Hibs fans as “Tortolanoyab*****d” to the extent that the match programme probably used it as his official title.

14 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Jimmy Bone, from the same village as me incidentally, Fallin, near Stirling, pictured with Ella Fitzgerald when was playing in Canada. 

IMG_20200612_120709.jpg

Question: a number of years ago, I played in a group at the Fallin M.W. and one of his brothers was there. Could he have been called Doug Bone? I've always believed this, to this day.

57 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Question: a number of years ago, I played in a group at the Fallin M.W. and one of his brothers was there. Could he have been called Doug Bone? I've always believed this, to this day.

Alex Bone is Jimmy's nephew so if Doug is Jimmy's brother is Alex his son?

In which case we'd better give the Doug A. Bone...

6 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

There were about five or six Bone brothers from Fallin, I know of Jimmy obviously as well as Robert and Alex (Alex junior went on to play for St Mirren, Stirling Albion and Ross County) would be lying if I could tell you the names of the other brothers but Dougie is a possibility, would need to check with my dad, I've been out of Fallin about 20 years now but my folks still live there and have done all their days. 

5 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Alex Bone is Jimmy's nephew so if Doug is Jimmy's brother is Alex his son?

In which case we'd better give the Doug A. Bone...

Alex Bone's dad was also called Alex, his nickname was 'Toots' for some reason, he died relatively young when Alex Jr was still at school. 

8 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Universally known to the Hibs fans as “Tortolanoyab*****d” to the extent that the match programme probably used it as his official title.

Another Stirling lad (well Bannockburn technically) has a twin brother called Mario.

On ‎13‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 03:02, scotfree said:

25% win rate when he moved to Aberdeen. Officially the worst manager that we have ever had. 

In terms of results and style of play Miller was a dreadful manager at Hibs and Aberdeen yet somehow went on to a coaching role in a Champions League winning team.

Scottish sides in action in Europe in the 1980's. 

Mark Hughes and John Clark tussle at Tannadice the night Dundee United beat Barcelona 1-0 with a Kevin Gallacher goal, was it a cross or a shot? Clark scored in the return leg in United's 2-1 win in the Nou Camp. 

Roy Aitken challenges Gary Birtles as Celtic and Nottingham Forest draw 0-0 on a frozen City Ground pitch in 1983, a near fatal crush occurred in the Celtic section that night, my brother was caught up in it, says it was a miracle no one was killed in one of several near misses of that type before the disaster at Hillsborough, Nottingham Forest won the second leg 2-1 at Celtic Park. 

IMG_20200616_192129.jpg

IMG_20200616_194148.jpg