A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

Guest Moomintroll
Really surprised to see these two on the same pitch. In my head, Pettigrew was strictly 70s and Aitken didn’t appear till the 80s - but a quick look at wiki say’s my memory is mush. Certainly Pettigrew’s heyday was mid 70’s when for a few seasons he was an pure goal machine for Motherwell. And in how many games did Aitken drive some pretty ropey Celtic teams on to victory with his complete and utter will to win ? Two players, neither blessed with great skills,  but well worth their part in any complete history of Scottish football
Personally I think that Roy Aitken has been seriously under rated historically, an excellent midfielder who was also comfortable at centre half. Would be a stand out in the national team if he was at his peak right now, undoubtedly a major trade up from broonaldo.

1 hour ago, Moomintroll said:
3 hours ago, Pet Jeden said:
Really surprised to see these two on the same pitch. In my head, Pettigrew was strictly 70s and Aitken didn’t appear till the 80s - but a quick look at wiki say’s my memory is mush. Certainly Pettigrew’s heyday was mid 70’s when for a few seasons he was an pure goal machine for Motherwell. And in how many games did Aitken drive some pretty ropey Celtic teams on to victory with his complete and utter will to win ? Two players, neither blessed with great skills,  but well worth their part in any complete history of Scottish football

Personally I think that Roy Aitken has been seriously under rated historically, an excellent midfielder who was also comfortable at centre half. Would be a stand out in the national team if he was at his peak right now, undoubtedly a major trade up from broonaldo.

Similar role to Brown but without the hard man theatrics

2 hours ago, Moomintroll said:
3 hours ago, Pet Jeden said:

I stopped watching Scotland for a good number of years because of Roxburgh continually picking Aitken, who IMO was not international class.  Even worse he made him captain.   It's a sad indictment of the standard of football now that he would most likely walk into the current Scottish team. 

Best memory of Aitken for me was the night he got sent off in the Scottish Cup  replay  at Rugby Park in 1978.  We beat them 1 - 0. 

Frank McGarvey heads the winner in Celtic's 2-1 win against Dundee United in the 1985 Scottish Cup Final, Richard Gough looks less than impressed :rolleyes:

Packie Bonner saves from the feet of Hearts' John Robertson around the same era and Richard Gough in action against Celtic again with the sadly departed Phil O'Donnell in 1995 in a derby match as Celtic Park undergoes reconstruction. 

IMG_20180729_020149.jpg

IMG_20180728_114822.jpg

IMG_20180729_142758.jpg

1 hour ago, Drew Brees said:

I always thought aitken was a centre back/half.

You might be right - no doubt a Celtic poster can clarify. I think he was sometimes midfield. I certaintly remember him regularly driving forwards in the last few minutes looking for an equaliser or winner against us and sadly, usually getting it

2 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

You might be right - no doubt a Celtic poster can clarify. I think he was sometimes midfield. I certaintly remember him regularly driving forwards in the last few minutes looking for an equaliser or winner against us and sadly, usually getting it

Started out as a midfielder in the late 70's then gradually moved back the way as he got older,  most of his appearances I recall growing up in the 1980's he was a centre half but often played further up in midfield on occasion. 

He was never the most technically gifted player ever, Roy himself would be the first to admit that,  but had tremendous energy, fitness and will to win, often took games by the scruff of the neck and pulled team mates off the floor when all looked lost, none more so than the centenary double season of 1988, scored a decent amount of goals for a defender/midfielder including an excellent record from the penalty spot. 

1 hour ago, Zen Archer said:

Jimmy Reid getting quite animated at 7:30

Is that actually him?  It does look a lot like him certainly.

It's funny.  I watched the start of it earlier and thought I maybe saw him after 22 seconds.  I think yours maybe really is him though.  Was he a known Celtic fan?

"Quite simply the best game of football we've seen in a very very long time" Dougie Donnelly, in the opening season of McDiarmid Park(I think).

Some blasts from the past in both teams. Genuinely didn’t know Hegarty played for your lot tam

25 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

"Quite simply the best game of football we've seen in a very very long time" Dougie Donnelly, in the opening season of McDiarmid Park(I think).

Kenny Ward, scorer of Saints third goal was part time, he worked down the same coal mine as my dad, random irrelevant fact but, amazing to think someone could do a gruelling job like go down a pit five days a week, then train at night and play football on a Saturday. 

Is that actually him?  It does look a lot like him certainly.
It's funny.  I watched the start of it earlier and thought I maybe saw him after 22 seconds.  I think yours maybe really is him though.  Was he a known Celtic fan?

Definitely him, and he was on the same flight as my dad to Seville so good chance he’s a Celtic fan.

31 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

Definitely him, and he was on the same flight as my dad to Seville so good chance he’s a Celtic fan.

A leader of men in Govan too.

The final in the film would have come around the time of his profile being sky high I suppose. 

I've got his biography upstairs and keep meaning to read it.  I'll dig it out.

2 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Kenny Ward, scorer of Saints third goal was part time, he worked down the same coal mine as my dad, random irrelevant fact but, amazing to think someone could do a gruelling job like go down a pit five days a week, then train at night and play football on a Saturday. 

Went on to play for us. Decent player.

Last I heard of him he was manager of Oakley United, but that was a few years ago.

On 7/23/2018 at 15:58, Flash said:

Think it could be from April 1977 at Douglas Park where Hamilton presented him with a silver salver to mark his 650th appearance for the club. Others in the picture are (l to r) Ian McChesney, Tam Bryce (maybe), Ian Reid, Peter Dickson and Crawford Boyd. Don’t know who is making the presentation.

The other guy is Allan Dick who was Hamilton secretary later at Motherwell and Thistle.