A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 30/08/2018 at 08:50, ShaggysBeard said:

I learned about this the other day, surprised it's not more known.

Mohammed Salim (Celtic, 1936). The first player from India to play for a European club side.

As seen in the bottom images, he played barefoot.

Never speaking English, he came over on a boat with his brother who could speak English. His brother managed to persuade Willie Maley to give Mohammed a trial despite the fact that he insisted on playing barefoot. He impressed and played in two friendlies barefoot. He was given a competitive debut against Hamilton Academical when he scored in a 5-1 win. 

After a 7-1 win over Galston in August 1936 he was dubbed the Indian Juggler.

Couple of reports from that match.....

"Ten twinkling toes of Salim, Celtic FC's player from India hypnotised the crowd at Parkhead last night in an Alliance game with Galston. He balances the ball on his big toe, lets it run down the scale to his little toe, twirls it, hops on one foot around the defender, then flicks the ball to the center who has only to send it into goal. Three of Celtic's seven goals last night came from his moves. Was asked to take a penalty, he refused. Said he was shy. Salim does not speak English, his brother translates for him. Brother Hasheem thinks Salim is wonderful – so did the crowd last night."

"Abdul Salim, Celtic's Indian International trialist, tickled the crowd at Celtic Park on Friday with his magnificent ball manipulation. In his bare feet he was a conspicuous figure but this was further emphasised by his dark skin against the white and green of the Celtic strip. His play was top class. Every ball he touched went exactly to the place he wanted it to. Not one inch was it out. His crosses into goal were simply shrieking to be nodded into the net. I wouldn't like to have calculated the score had McGrorybeen playing ..... [Danny] Dawson missed a penalty kick which Salim, despite the invitation of Alex Millar, refused to take."

He became homesick and was determined to return to India. Celtic offered him a charity game promising him 5% of the total gate in return of staying at Celtic. Mohammed refused and asked for the proceeds, £1,800, an incredible sum at the time to be donated to local orphans. And he was off back home to Calcutta.

GW209H274

mohammed-salim-1434618486-800.jpg

My father saw him play at Celtic Park

On 06/09/2018 at 07:37, kingjoey said:

Was the North Stand still there in 1981? I thought that it had gone by then, but if not, does anyone know when it was eventually taken down?

The top of the East Terracing (Celtic End) went after the Rangers v Dundee Utd final replay in 1981. North Stand started being demolished summer 1982.

51 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

The top of the East Terracing (Celtic End) went after the Rangers v Dundee Utd final replay in 1981. North Stand started being demolished summer 1982.

Thanks for that info. However you completely spoiled (spoilt?) your post by putting (Celtic End) in it. The East Terracing was the East Terracing.

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

Thanks for that info. However you completely spoiled (spoilt?) your post by putting (Celtic End) in it. The East Terracing was the East Terracing.

I prefer the Rangers and Celtic ends as it helps ram home the ridiculous notion of Hampden being a genuinely neutral venue when diddies have to play the bigots there.

8 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

I prefer the Rangers and Celtic ends as it helps ram home the ridiculous notion of Hampden being a genuinely neutral venue when diddies have to play the bigots there.

It’s as neutral as is possible in this country. Scottish football fans should not be perpetuating this naming of ends after two clubs. North Stand, East Stand, West Stand and South Stand, those are the only names required.

22 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Shouting for the team you envisage would be the weirdest expression of patriotism imaginable.

Let me explain Monkey. These teams consisted of the best players  - some of which were not Scottish - from the Scottish League. The fact is that many of these best players have always been OF players. Whether or not you like that some of their saddo fans enjoy winding the other lot up by prefering England or Ireland to Scotland, doesn't change the facts. The players I mentioned were great players

2 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

Let me explain Monkey. These teams consisted of the best players  - some of which were not Scottish - from the Scottish League. The fact is that many of these best players have always been OF players. Whether or not you like that some of their saddo fans enjoy winding the other lot up by prefering England or Ireland to Scotland, doesn't change the facts. The players I mentioned were great players

Opening with "Let me explain" would suggest you were about to offer something that wasn't blindingly obvious.

15 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

It’s as neutral as is possible in this country. Scottish football fans should not be perpetuating this naming of ends after two clubs. North Stand, East Stand, West Stand and South Stand, those are the only names required.

It's not actually and Scottish football fans should never do anything other than highlight the stitch up that is Scottish football.

7 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

It's not actually and Scottish football fans should never do anything other than highlight the stitch up that is Scottish football.

I really don’t see how naming the ends of the only neutral stadium that we have after two horrendous clubs,  “highlight the stitch up that is Scottish football”. You’re highlighting the stupidity of Scottish football fans by doing that.

12 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I really don’t see how naming the ends of the only neutral stadium that we have after two horrendous clubs,  “highlight the stitch up that is Scottish football”. You’re highlighting the stupidity of Scottish football fans by doing that.

No, you obviously don't. 

Just now, kingjoey said:

And you’ll never convince me either. Just you keep calling the West and East Stands the Rangers and Celtic ends, and show everyone that Scottish football is all about two clubs only. 

I know, that's why I didn't take it on. I shall continue to highlight what you say as sadly it is. You obviously haven't been paying attention, especially in 2012, if you still think otherwise.

Back to photographs...

36 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Opening with "Let me explain" would suggest you were about to offer something that wasn't blindingly obvious.

Of course it was blindingly obvious. "Let me explain" is how I patronisingly start an explanation to a child - or somebody that shows an unpleasant combination of rudeness and dimness .

5 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

Of course it was blindingly obvious. "Let me explain" is how I patronisingly start an explanation to a child - or somebody that shows an unpleasant combination of rudeness and dimness .

Where was the dimness in questioning how backing an assortment of players from throughout Europe, would amount to an act of patriotism?

Rudeness, I'll grant you.

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Where was the dimness in questioning how backing an assortment of players from throughout Europe, would amount to an act of patriotism?

Rudeness, I'll grant you.

You have no affecton for, pride in, or attachment to Scottish football ? Okay. It's a free country. Fck off.

2 hours ago, kingjoey said:

True kingjoey,  always made me wonder why the out of towners asked what end was the Rangers End!!!