A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 13/08/2023 at 15:53, HibeeJibee said:

Edinburgh City played their first-ever match 95yrs ago today... losing 5-2 at home to Queen's Park, whose fame they hoped to replicate as "amateurs of the east", in a contest also unveiling the new Marine Gardens stadium in Portobello.

They have achieved parity in the unsuitable stadium category.

6 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

That didn't actually happen. 

Bit of an urban myth that, Nicholas was at some charity thing connected to Arsenal and the witch was in attendance and she requested a picture with some of the celebrities at the event, one of which was Charlie, he spoke of how uncomfortable he was with it but felt like he couldn't really refuse as directors and management were in attendance. 

Slightly threw me there regarding my memory of events.

YouTube is my friend.

Champagne Charlie of Arsenal wasn't the highlight of the Young Tory event at Wembley Conference Centre but a zany comedian called Kenny Everett, "Let's Bomb Russia".

Usual working class mistake back then (1980s) that anybody a bit edgy in entertainment must be anti Thatcher.

Charlie Nic at the time claimed he didn't know what he was going to. Which kind of fell down a bit when the Young Tories came out and told the public what they paid the guests for being there.

Charlie Nicholas had sold his Maryhill background for some joke sum (£200) in a brown envelope.

10 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Sadly, believe it or not, the current situation is even worse with no football played there at all.

The council demolished the pavilion housing the changing facilities and showers 2 years ago (with the promise of a modern replacement) and they've yet to get their finger oot. 

It's an utter disgrace what they have done to St James.  Can you trust that council to do anything right after their efforts at Dargavel 😀

I remember playing there quite often for the BB when I was a teenager and the place was packed every Saturday.   

Such a shame.

The St James playing fields, known locally as The Racecourse, really was a racecourse and regularly attracted 5 figure crowds.

It was disgracefully denied a licence in the early 20th century due to not having a straight 5 furlongs which is a load of shite seeing as Chester Racecourse is just a big circle.

Read about it here...

https://www.paisley.org.uk/paisley-history/st-james-racecourse-race-silver-bell/

12 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Sadly, believe it or not, the current situation is even worse with no football played there at all.

The council demolished the pavilion housing the changing facilities and showers 2 years ago (with the promise of a modern replacement) and they've yet to get their finger oot. 

Outstanding find...the whole thing is a not far off a Monty Python sketch. That one pitch is genuinely The worse pitch I have ever seen in my puff. Great stuff - fascinated if anyone can identifies any of the teams involved.

On the state of St James now....each time I pass I expect to see a Taylor Wimpey Sign for houses coming soon. Its surely the councils plan to wait until people lose interest and that sell it off for housing.

4 minutes ago, Urban Spaceman said:

Outstanding find...the whole thing is a not far off a Monty Python sketch. That one pitch is genuinely The worse pitch I have ever seen in my puff. Great stuff - fascinated if anyone can identifies any of the teams involved.

On the state of St James now....each time I pass I expect to see a Taylor Wimpey Sign for houses coming soon. Its surely the councils plan to wait until people lose interest and that sell it off for housing.

I was thinking Monty Python about that video as well.

Here's St James in 1948.

raceourse.thumb.jpg.f9405b740df60f1d7ea09b9eaa7335f4.jpg

On this day in 1909 the club now known as Dundee United played their first game, a friendly against their then namesakes from Edinburgh. Game ended 1-1. Sixty two years later they met at Easter Road in a League Cup match with Hibs winning 2-0. Does anyone know who Hibs were playing in the photo on the programme cover?

IMG_1678.jpeg

IMG_1680.jpeg

Edited by Eednud

34 minutes ago, Eednud said:

On this day in 1909 the club now known as Dundee United played their first game, a friendly against their then namesakes from Edinburgh. Game ended 1-1. Sixty two years later they met at Easter Road in a League Cup match with Hibs winning 2-0. Does anyone know who Hibs were playing in the photo on the programme cover?

IMG_1678.jpeg

IMG_1680.jpeg

Based on the kit, Aberdeen?

9 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Too early for Butcher and Roberts, Souness never arrived till 86. No 2 looks like Hugh Burns but no idea about the others.

Pfft, you and your facts 😉

Edit : good shout, the 3rd Ranger is definitely ex-Son Hugh Burns.

Edit 2 : it's either Dawson, McKinnon or McLelland, then.

Screenshot_20230818-085911_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Boghead ranter

6 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Pfft, you and your facts 😉

Edit : good shout, the 3rd Ranger is definitely ex-Son Hugh Burns.

Edit 2 : it's either Dawson, McKinnon or McLelland, then.

But ‘Roon them anyway