A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 30/01/2024 at 18:24, Molotov said:

Yeah. You’re right. I’m way off. Incredible. Auld age plays tricks on the mind.
It was the season that Hearts bottle crashed that Fine Fare was first sponsor.

IMG_7336.thumb.jpeg.de08b0b4c2ea8d7bb11c6882d1790895.jpeg

Saints won 6-2 on that opening game!

And lost 5-0 in their last match, a 9 goal swing against Hearts...

25 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

And lost 5-0 in their last match, a 9 goal swing against Hearts...

In our defence (sic) we did have ex Rangers goalkeeper Jim Stewart for the last game who was hopeless without the establishment protecting him. 

9 minutes ago, Molotov said:

In our defence (sic) we did have ex Rangers goalkeeper Jim Stewart for the last game who was hopeless without the establishment protecting him. 

I wasn't actually complaining...

On 30/01/2024 at 18:24, Molotov said:

Yeah. You’re right. I’m way off. Incredible. Auld age plays tricks on the mind.
It was the season that Hearts bottle crashed that Fine Fare was first sponsor.

IMG_7336.thumb.jpeg.de08b0b4c2ea8d7bb11c6882d1790895.jpeg

Saints won 6-2 on that opening game!

IMG_7335.thumb.jpeg.0ea90ab5ac448d9e8d5c33b73a6e9ed9.jpeg

I can't remember there being a break in the Bell's sponsorship. Anyone know why they took a year out? (Guessing money but seems odd to come back in a year later).

3 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I can't remember there being a break in the Bell's sponsorship. Anyone know why they took a year out? (Guessing money but seems odd to come back in a year later).

Interestingly their return after a year saved the Challenge Cup... it had only ever been the B&Q Cup, and didn't run at all in 1998-99 as B&Q withdrew, but returned in glory as the Bells Cup for 1999-00.

EDIT: returning to the point in hand that season's SFL Review confirms there was no league sponsor. It was presumably due to SPL starting... Bells had been sponsoring all 4 levels including the Premier Division, but with it breaking away and signing-up Bank of Scotland the remaining SFL was a far different proposition. I'd assume they returned a year later (adding the Challenge Cup) for a much reduced fee.

It was a season of flux for every competition: there was also no League Cup sponsor, with 4yrs of Coca Cola having ended and 12yrs of CIS Insurance beginning the next campaign.

Edited by HibeeJibee

17 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Was it known that even Souness was heading to Ibrox then? 

That didn't happen until April of that year I think.

I'm maybe wrong, but I recall that as a bolt from the blue, rather than as something that looked on the cards in advance.

I can't remember what I read now, either Walter Smith kept it secret from Fergie after receiving the call during the Israeli trip or he told him during the Israeli trip.

It might've been a bolt out of the blue for supporters but they must've done groundwork beforehand.

I know that Smith first 'managed' Rangers (1872-2012) at Pittodrie on the 26th April 1986 as they waited for Souness to be free from his commitments at Sampdoria.

9 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Why Hardaker?

Cos we are a massive club with cross-border influence, obvs. 

Seriously, I don't know. Alex Wright was well known and well connected, don't know if that's it.

@O'Kelly Isley III, @microdave, @Silverton End?

Edit : judging by that handshake, though...😉

Edited by Boghead ranter

6 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Seriously, I don't know. Alex Wright was well known and well connected, don't know if that's it.

I'm afraid I have no idea either. I thought it might have been because Hardaker possibly had something to do with the funding but it appears the sales of Graeme Sharp and Murdo MacLeod paid for it.

17 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Edit : judging by that handshake, though...😉

Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more International Football: 20 Greatest Scottish Footballers of All Time ...

1 hour ago, Boghead ranter said:

Hardaker, Davie Wilson, Alex Wright.

33 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Why Hardaker?

15 minutes ago, microdave said:

I'm afraid I have no idea either. I thought it might have been because Hardaker possibly had something to do with the funding but it appears the sales of Graeme Sharp and Murdo MacLeod paid for it.

Hardaker chaired the Football Ground Improvements Trust (later Football Trust) that partly funded the new stand.

He also chaired Spot the Ball.

He died of a heart attack just a few weeks later.

image.thumb.png.2e62761f047fd2e27456c9f3d1348333.png

On 31/01/2024 at 19:17, Monkey Tennis said:

Was it known that even Souness was heading to Ibrox then? 

That didn't happen until April of that year I think.

I'm maybe wrong, but I recall that as a bolt from the blue, rather than as something that looked on the cards in advance.

It was leaked around April time, I think during a Scotland squad for a friendly or something so,rather than have it splashed all over the tabloids Rangers announced it there and then, rather than hang around till the end of the season Jock Wallace walked immediately and I'm sure Alex Totten took charge for the remainder of the season.