A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

4 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Loanhead Gala Day yesterday so snapped this banner:

R5__4443.thumb.JPG.0fbc72b27b15de65b94b987ae34adee5.JPG

Bobby Forrest, Dave Roseburgh and Chelsea Cornet is a decent midfield! 

9 hours ago, Eednud said:

On this day in 1977 the last game of the 3 game tour of South America.

Cracking Zico goal from a free kick.

Match 405)  23rd June 1977  (Friendly match)
BRAZIL - SCOTLAND  2-0  (0-0)
Referee:   Oscar Scolfaro (Brazil)
Crowd:     60.763, Estadio Jornalista Mario Filho (Estadio do Maracana), Rio de Janeiro
Goals:     1-0 ZICO (71), 2-0 TONINHO CEREZO (76)
BRAZIL:  (Coach:  Claudio Coutinho)  
Emerson LEAO - Jose Maria Rodrigues Alves-ZE MARIA, LUIZ Edmundo PEREIRA,
Edino Nazareth Filho-EDINHO, Francisco das Chagas Marinho-MARINHO CHAGAS -
Antonio Carlos Cerezo-TONINHO CEREZO, PAULO ISIDORO de Jesus, Roberto RIVELLINO [c] -
Gilberto Alves-GIL (Arthur Antunes Coimbra-ZICO HT), Jose REINALDO de Lima, 
PAULO CEZAR Lima-CAJU.

SCOTLAND:  (Manager:  Alistair MacLeod/6)
Alan Roderick Rough		     (14/Partick Thistle) -
Daniel Fergus McGrain		     (38/Celtic)
William Donachie		     (25/Manchester City) -
Bruce David Rioch [c]   	     (19/Everton)
Thomas Forsyth			     (14/Rangers)
Martin McLean Buchan		     (25/Manchester United) -
Donald Sandison Masson		     (11/Queens Park Rangers)
Archibald Gemmill	             (21/Derby County) 
Kenneth Mathieson Dalglish	     (47/Celtic)
Richard [Asa] Hartford		     (18/Manchester City)
William McClure Johnston	     (16/West Bromwich Albion)

Subs:
William Pullar "Sandy" Jardine	     (30/Rangers)  for William Johnston (66)

Cracking player but I never knew Sandy Jardine's first names were William Pullar. I imagine Celtic fans often referred to him as a Wullie Pullar.

8 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Loanhead Gala Day yesterday so snapped this banner:

R5__4443.thumb.JPG.0fbc72b27b15de65b94b987ae34adee5.JPG

I thought Gary Naysmith had been claimed as a Bongorivian (a native of Bonnyrigg; schooled in the fiercely rickety prefabricated cabins of Lasswade HS)?

I’m very roughly the same age as Gary, give or take a few days. One of us won the Midlothian P7 schools league in 1989/90, and the other one of us is Gary Naysmith.

I don’t recall playing his team that year, but if we did, they will have lost, as we had what would now be termed an Invincible season. (Invincible other than a freakish 6-0 defeat to Loretto RC in a cup tie, in what looks in retrospect like an example of match fixing. Our keeper certainly had an atypically calamitous afternoon. His connection to Loanhead is that his uncle designed the horse sculpture that sits at the Toll.)

Our team was replete with footballing greats who have went onto light up the very top-top levels of Scottish football. One guy played for Luton / Stevenage / Berwick Rangers, and another for Dunfermline / Cowdenbeath / Brechin. History doesn’t record what happened to the footballing careers of the rest of us but, much like the boys in Stand by Me, we often think back to that summer (and avoid standing close to blueberry pie eaters).

Our victorious season climaxed at Ferguson Park, Rosewell, where a team of spirited losers from Sacred Heart came and failed to beat us in the league decider. The game ended 4-3, we came back from 3-1 down to send them back to Penicuik in their snowploughs with tears in their eyes. Striker in the Dalkeith Advertiser wrote about us fulsomely, I think his exact phrase was “my typewriter is privileged to bear witness to these characters”.

The only other vaguely notable name from that season was Alex Notman. Shortly after we thrashed his Langlaw team, he went off to play for Manchester United where I’m sure he found his opponents a bit easier to play than us. 

So erm, yes, back to Naysmith. I thought he grew up in the rough area of Polton, but I wouldn’t put my mortgage payment on that.

1 hour ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

So erm, yes, back to Naysmith. I thought he grew up in the rough area of Polton, but I wouldn’t put my mortgage payment on that.

Rough areas in Polton 😂 You must mean the wids (and that’s trees not wimmen) Far as I can remember the Naysmiths were from Traprain Terrace which is off Polton Road although that might have been the earlier generation. Sandy Naysmith was in my year but I think he was Gary’s uncle. Boomtown can claim Gary Locke and Sandy Burrell and a few others I can’t remember.

23 hours ago, megaspinnernet2 said:

Dundee United in all white at Ibrox in 1967 in pre-tangerine days.

Dundee United in all white at Ibrox in 1967 in pre-tangerine days..png

Donald Mackay in goal, Kai Johnsen with the winning penalty late in the match, ref. J.W. Paterson of Bothwell. Rangers won their first game of the season with this match, a League Cup tie, their third of the campaign.

This was the first time United had come up against Orjan Persson who'd left prior to the start of the season, on exchange for Davie Wilson and Wilson Wood.

Persson played for Sweden at the 1970 and 1974 World Cups, and was very popular at both Tannadice and Ibrox.

Orjan.jpg.e79ce82995d3f15f5714193cf91710ea.jpg

Wilson Wood's career took him from Newcastle, on to Rangers then Dundee United, and then to Tynecastle to play for the club he'd supported as a kid. He finished his senior career at Raith Rovers.

WilsonWood.thumb.jpg.8a521b11347969967e00522f7853375b.jpg

Davie Wilson was a star with Rangers, excellent at Tannadice and a great servant to Dumbarton. And of course he gained 22 Scotland caps, netting 10 times. 

DavieWilson.jpg.c0698f5f7e34b40cfb3fde371bbce39e.jpg

Think the above picture is from the 1965 Wembley match, Davie with Alex Hamilton following behind, 2-2 draw.

6 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Rough areas in Polton 😂 You must mean the wids (and that’s trees not wimmen) Far as I can remember the Naysmiths were from Traprain Terrace which is off Polton Road although that might have been the earlier generation. Sandy Naysmith was in my year but I think he was Gary’s uncle. Boomtown can claim Gary Locke and Sandy Burrell and a few others I can’t remember.

That came out poorly on my part, deary me! What I was clumsily trying to convey, and may have better phrased it as, was that I thought he grew up “approximately” (i.e. roughly in the area of) in Polton! 

I wouldn’t call Polton rough, I married a Polton woman and she’d beat the living daylights out of me if she caught me disparaging her town! 

I’ve had a major computer malfunction or I would post the other side of that Loanhead banner. It lists clubs that were in Loanheid. Amongst them:
Polton Vale. Sold home advantage to Rangers in 1897-8 in the Scottish Cup and lost 8-0 at Ibrox. 
Loanhead Mayflower. Junior club which folded in 1965. 
Loanhead United. Won the Scottish Juvenile Cup in 1968. 
Sadly there doesn’t appear to be even an amateur side these days. Can’t find any sign that Loanhead Miners Welfare are still on the go.

1 hour ago, Boghead ranter said:

Screenshot_20240625-085811_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.c7deb7eaba86ffcceeea32fa6c911fa7.jpg

Referred by Dundee ref Bob Valentine too.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/bob-valentine-former-scottish-referee-at-centre-of-world-cup-controversies-recalls-infamous-schumacher-battiston-collision-and-west-germany-v-austria-farce-3762380

I didn't realise until recently that he was a linesman for the France v West Germany WC semi-final and was instrumental in Schumacher not getting sent off for his assault on Battiston. He also reffed the infamous West Germany v Austria match. No wonder the Germans love the Scots!

11 minutes ago, Charles Stiles said:

Referred by Dundee ref Bob Valentine too.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/bob-valentine-former-scottish-referee-at-centre-of-world-cup-controversies-recalls-infamous-schumacher-battiston-collision-and-west-germany-v-austria-farce-3762380

I didn't realise until recently that he was a linesman for the France v West Germany WC semi-final and was instrumental in Schumacher not getting sent off for his assault on Battiston. He also reffed the infamous West Germany v Austria match. No wonder the Germans love the Scots!

I only found that out too last week as I was telling my grandson about that tackle on Battiston. 

Never ever forgave him after his performance, some would say cheating, in the 1982 Scottish Cup Quarter Final tie verses Aberdeen at Pittodrie, when he gave them 2 ridiculous penalty kicks. 

We only ever got him once again, to the best of my knowledge, after that and he was barracked the whole game .

4 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

Screenshot_20240625-085811_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.c7deb7eaba86ffcceeea32fa6c911fa7.jpg

I had only been here just over 2 months, didn’t have a phone where I lived yet or a radio with short wave to try to tune in to BBC World Service. Thought  I’d have to wait until buying a paper on Monday morning for the result. Bugger me if one of the commercial station showed  highlights on their 6pm Sunday news. Should have waited 3 or 4 months for that week’s Shoot to hit the newsagents.