What's the most "Tin Pot" thing you've seen in the SPFL

2 hours ago, Kyle Reese said:

I was in a group of four at Hampden and I was the youngest there at 44. The boy literally patted my inside pocket where the hip-flask was. :lol:

My mates were patted down by two separate stewards and the same result. They were patting down everyone, but clearly they just weren't that arsed. Glad they weren't actually, as it meant I was able to have a few vodka and cokes whilst watching the game. Very civilised, like being abroad or at the rugby or something.

Love the idea of grey-haired flare mules though. Actually, not a bad name for a prog rock band that: The grey-haired Flare Mules.

They called it a functioning alcoholic in my work.

Personally i preferred "couldn't go for pish without a drink in their hand" syndrome.

2 hours ago, PossilYM said:

Personally i preferred "couldn't go for pish without a drink in their hand" syndrome.

Oh right… I mean, I never had anything to drink before the match at all (non of that smashing it back before kick off stuff), and I had two pints back at Tynecastle after the game before heading home. If that qualifies then fair enough, I quite like a couple of pints at Murrayfield too, and grounds around Europe when watching football there. I suppose I better get in touch with AA though. 

Who was it you worked for? The Ministry of Screeching Hypochondriacs?  :lol:

Edited by Kyle Reese

37 minutes ago, PossilYM said:

You must be one of those “if you can’t go 90 minutes without a drink you have a serious problem!” Guys when anyone suggests allowing beer be sold at football. 

1 hour ago, Nowhereman said:

You get searched going to a concert or the theatre these days. Its hardly unusual

You definitely don't get searched going into the theatre, and you don't get searched going into the rugby. There's a bovine acceptance of erosions of rights that makes me queasy. A few lads occasionally setting off flares shouldn't necessitate or excuse people being pawed at by strangers. 

4 minutes ago, velo army said:

You definitely don't get searched going into the theatre, and you don't get searched going into the rugby. There's a bovine acceptance of erosions of rights that makes me queasy. A few lads occasionally setting off flares shouldn't necessitate or excuse people being pawed at by strangers. 

Let's not be hasty here.

513d7a17457a59e167a9a2edb4f6a1e8.jpg

11 minutes ago, velo army said:

when I was a boy, back in the late 70s/early 80s, I used routinely to get patted down by stewards (along with everyone else, I hasten to add, it wasn't just that I was a very attractive youth or anything). It's not a new thing.

25 minutes ago, velo army said:

You definitely don't get searched going into the theatre, and you don't get searched going into the rugby. 

I'm pretty sure you at least get your bags checked going into the rugby although like with concerts that's more about making sure you get your beer from the official bar

2 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

accidentally got away with smuggling a blade into the match

I have a wee Leatherman multitool with a razor sharp blade attached to my keyring - As it has my house keys, It goes into every fitba ground I attend.

Only time I remove it is to go through airport security tbqhwy.

54 minutes ago, velo army said:

Ok. I’ll tell my son , who works in a theatre, to stop doing it because you say it definitely doesn’t happen

52 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

Ok. I’ll tell my son , who works in a theatre, to stop doing it because you say it definitely doesn’t happen

1 hour ago, lennyzer0 said:

when I was a boy, back in the late 70s/early 80s, I used routinely to get patted down by stewards (along with everyone else, I hasten to add, it wasn't just that I was a very attractive youth or anything). It's not a new thing.

Just to be perfectly clear here I've been going to the football for a good 37 years now and the first time I was searched at a Scottish game (not including a bag check, which was always quite understandable tbh) was at the Scotland v Israel game post lockdown. I've been searched at Hampden every time since. It's very much a new thing. I've never been searched at Firhill or at any away ground. It's interesting that this happened in the 70's and 80's. I don't want us to go back to treating fans like potential criminals as it perhaps was back then.

And I get that your boy works at a theatre and says that he searches folk. I went to the Playhouse back in March and there was no searching. Bags maybe, but it would be huge overkill to be patting people down. So aye, I'm doubting that this is a regular thing.

Even then, my point is not whether it is regular or not, but that it's a breach of basic rights and that it is unnecessary. 

7 minutes ago, velo army said:

Just to be perfectly clear here I've been going to the football for a good 37 years now and the first time I was searched at a Scottish game (not including a bag check, which was always quite understandable tbh) was at the Scotland v Israel game post lockdown. I've been searched at Hampden every time since. It's very much a new thing. I've never been searched at Firhill or at any away ground. It's interesting that this happened in the 70's and 80's. I don't want us to go back to treating fans like potential criminals as it perhaps was back then.

And I get that your boy works at a theatre and says that he searches folk. I went to the Playhouse back in March and there was no searching. Bags maybe, but it would be huge overkill to be patting people down. So aye, I'm doubting that this is a regular thing.

Even then, my point is not whether it is regular or not, but that it's a breach of basic rights and that it is unnecessary. 

It’s a civilised Edinburgh thing, mate. 😊

It's not ideal I guess but you can be assured that the first time that a bomb gets into a stadium and loads of people will be decrying where security was.  Honestly have a look round the world - getting an occasional pat down is hardly the end of the world.

ETA I appreciate someone could probably get a bomb beyond the current checks but I don't think that detracts from my point.

Perhaps if we had proper security Gavin Gunning might not have arrived at Tannadice.

Edited by Alert Mongoose

6 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

It's not ideal I guess but you can be assured that the first time that a bomb gets into a stadium and loads of people will be decrying where security was.  Honestly have a look round the world - getting an occasional pat down is hardly the end of the world.

Folk are getting in with flares, booze and blades, some after being patted down, i hope they're better at finding bombs in peoples jackets.

Fireworks are shite, we don’t need them at the games.

Another thing we don’t need is constant music playing. Of course, referring to Scotland games, there are some great tunes that get you right up for it and I’m all for continuing with the music but see every so often before the game maybe just give a wee 2 minute break to allow the atmosphere to come through. The same for after goals and at full time. Let the atmosphere breath a bit naturally then introduce music once it dies down.

3 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Folk are getting in with flares, booze and blades, some after being patted down, i hope they're better at finding bombs in peoples jackets.

Perfectly valid point though it looked like the argument was whether there should be checks at all rather than the quality of them.

1 minute ago, Sortmeout said:

Fireworks are shite, we don’t need them at the games.

Another thing we don’t need is constant music playing. Of course, referring to Scotland games, there are some great tunes that get you right up for it and I’m all for continuing with the music but see every so often before the game maybe just give a wee 2 minute break to allow the atmosphere to come through. The same for after goals and at full time. Let the atmosphere breath a bit naturally then introduce music once it dies down.

I like a bit of music before games and after the final whistle. We have these great big screens at Tynecastle now, and I was a bit worried we were going to have a constant stream of adverts like someone left the telly on in the living room, but it is not the case thankfully. It’s tunes through the tannoy 90% of the time, with notices and adverts with no volume on the screens. 

Goal celebration music can get GTF