What's the most "Tin Pot" thing you've seen in the SPFL

41 minutes ago, bennett said:

I watched the Falkirk v Dundee United game recently and the pitch actually looked good and seemed to play well too.

The 2 premiership artificial pitches are god awful though.

The Livingston pitch especially, it looks even worse in the flesh too.

2 minutes ago, gannonball said:

So why not agree a spec and mandate each clubs next replacement to meet that? Why remove the ability of the clubs to make a choice because you (not you personally but you know what I mean) don't like the look of it?

We're not a multi billion pound top European League and it's time we stopped using comparisons with those to arrive at these nonsensical, self defeating decisions. 

15 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

So why not agree a spec and mandate each clubs next replacement to meet that? Why remove the ability of the clubs to make a choice because you (not you personally but you know what I mean) don't like the look of it?

We're not a multi billion pound top European League and it's time we stopped using comparisons with those to arrive at these nonsensical, self defeating decisions. 

I wouldn't be adverse to that and tbh it's also something I'm not massively bothered about these days as there's probably other stuff we could be doing first to improve the Scottish top flight before this. I was more arguing against comparing it to the 10 thousand seater rule which was utterly ridiculous and counter productive (even ignoring the cost) as having empty  stadiums most weeks isn't a good look.

Edited by gannonball

9 hours ago, wellyboot said:

Luton town had an artificial pitch. I’m sure they were in the top league at the time although it would be long ago

All artificial pitches were banned in England top divisions from 1995 I believe.
There are hybrid pitches that are used by some top clubs and Wembley iirc. Those make a lot of sense. But 100% artificial pitches should be set on fire. 
Once teams get promoted from the national league they must have a grass pitch. 
Even Dorking Wanderers who are essentially a pub team are prepared to lay a grass pitch. 
If a pub team like Dorking can manage it then surely established professional teams like Falkirk, Kilmarnock, Raith Rovers and Livingston can too. 

Edited by Molotov

9 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

I'm nae accountant but just a tiny hunch that those leagues have a lot more money to throw around. Hell if we're getting technical some clubs in those leagues will have hybrid pitches.

If teams like St Mirren and St Johnstone can play on grass then why can’t clubs like Falkirk and Kilmarnock whose fans often argue they are “massive” in comparison to the Saints?

There is a clear and obvious difference to 100% plastic vs modern hybrid used by top clubs. 

18 hours ago, Scooby_Doo said:

Celtic are playing on one this week, so need to get the excuses primed on the off chance that the multi-millionaires don't beat us on Sunday.

As for the supposed ban, it's the 10,000 seater rule all over again. There's obviously someone hoping that Livingston are relegated and with Killie due to change theirs, the top flight can pull up the drawbridge.

There was a terrific game played on plastic last night - did Kris Doolan mention the surface post match? (I genuinely don't know btw, I didn't see it).

The league had their chance to vote for a ban when Killie were relegated but didn't bother, clearly it's not as big an issue for the other teams in the league

8 hours ago, gannonball said:

The main argument seems to be around aesthetics and how the pitch looks. If we can ban things because of how they look then Ibrox and Celtic park would be a lot emptier

8 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I believe Livi, Killie and Raith have the same pitch with the only difference being Killie and Raith opted for green pellets and Livi opted for black

2 hours ago, Molotov said:

All artificial pitches were banned in England top divisions from 1995 I believe.
There are hybrid pitches that are used by some top clubs and Wembley iirc. Those make a lot of sense. But 100% artificial pitches should be set on fire. 
Once teams get promoted from the national league they must have a grass pitch. 
Even Dorking Wanderers who are essentially a pub team are prepared to lay a grass pitch. 
If a pub team like Dorking can manage it then surely established professional teams like Falkirk, Kilmarnock, Raith Rovers and Livingston can too. 

Artifiical pitches in 1995 were different beasts entirely. Conversely, they are permitted in UEFA competitions.

Just now, Scooby_Doo said:

Artifiical pitches in 1995 were different beasts entirely. Conversely, they are permitted in UEFA competitions.

I’ve clearly stated it’s my personal opinion.

All the red dotting and criticism coming my way is from fans of clubs who have these installed and are being very defensive. 

I understand the financial pressures clubs are under.

I honestly don’t believe any of you would prefer to watch your teams play on artificial turf rather than grass. 

40 minutes ago, Molotov said:

All the red dotting and criticism coming my way is from fans of clubs who have these installed and are being very defensive. 

I honestly don’t believe any of you would prefer to watch your teams play on artificial turf rather than grass. 

Aye, that Raith 4, Partick 3 was shite. As was Airdrie 3, Dunfermline 4 last season. But Dunfermline 0, Edinburgh 0 on grass was sensational. 

A good grass pitch will almost almost always be better than any artificial surface. But a good artificial pitch will usually be better than a poor grass one. If you have the money for a superb grass pitch, uv lamps to help growth, etc then fine. But if not, then it's not as clear cut.

49 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Nobody has said that....I would 100% prefer Livi to play on a pristine grass pitch but I would also 100% prefer Livi to play on an artificial pitch than our old grass one. Due to weather and the layout of the stadium we always had issues with the same areas of the old pitch and the money we would need to continue to fork out would not be financially viable for us. I would also prefer Livi to sign Erling Haaland but, again, it's not financially viable for us to do so.

3 hours ago, Molotov said:

I honestly don’t believe any of you would prefer to watch your teams play on blockquote widget

I would be in favour of the plastic pitch ban, especially if it keeps Motherwell in the league 😆 

Fir park was famously awful just over 10 years back when branded  "the somme" 

If we had to make the necessary changes and work involved to get it up to standard then every other club should be made to do the same. Blaming the location is absolutely no excuse.

If they can't afford it, then they'll just have to accept the drop, just like the stand capacity rule.

Edited by SteelyDosser