Stealing glasses from pubs

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

I'm with you. Bars always end up short of the glasses they need because of theft, especially if it's a nice glass, and the barmen end getting abused by customers for getting served in the wrong glass, picky pointless wankers. If they aren't short of a particular glass they'll probably say ok, unless you're a c**t about it.

In my bar days as a student, we used to get told off for using the "wrong" glass for two reasons - one was in case a secret shopper came in from the brewery, and the other was in case you got accused of "passing off" one beer as another. It was a pain in the tits.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

In my bar days as a student, we used to get told off for using the "wrong" glass for two reasons - one was in case a secret shopper came in from the brewery, and the other was in case you got accused of "passing off" one beer as another. It was a pain in the tits.

I’ve always wondered at bar staff telling you they’ve got none of the requisite glass left and asking you if that’s alright. I mean sure I don’t wanna be seen as the kinda flange that drinks Carling, but aside from that WGAF?

Nabbed this from the Ferryhill Tavern in Aberdeen before a Celtic game up there a few years ago.
It's now shut I hear. Hope my tumbler thieving didnt play a part. 
20180122_003928.thumb.jpg.4549326735d11ef52ab18bed3a860155.jpg

I’ve got a few of them myself. Not taken from pubs, just from the Christmas gift sets.

The honey fudge being a great delight on its own.

11 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Nabbed this from the Ferryhill Tavern in Aberdeen before a Celtic game up there a few years ago.

It's now shut I hear. Hope my tumbler thieving didnt play a part. 

20180122_003928.jpg

Carrying a glass into Pittodrie and presumably back on the bus is a bit desperate, isn't it? 

Slightly off topic but a good wee story for a Monday lunchtime.....

My mate was getting rid of furniture and he had half a dozen of those high kitchen stools that you would use at a breakfast bar. He put them in the front garden for a day or two before he could get a van to take everything to the recycling centre. He got a knock on the door one night, answered it and it was an Indian guy, asking how much he wanted for said seats. My mate said he didn't want anything for them as they were nearly done and he was just going to fire them in the dump. Indian guy took them and rode off in to the sunset. A few months later we went out for an Indian in Dunfermline, we were sitting at a table and the seats felt very familiar. Low and behold it was the old seats that the Indian guy took from my mate, all buffed up and painted luminous orange ! The guy came over, he was head waiter there, and after a few minutes of awkward conversation all was good and we left with half a dozen free bottles of Chang and bottle of wine :)

5 minutes ago, Myko said:

My mate was getting rid of furniture and he had half a dozen of those high kitchen stools that you would use at a breakfast bar. He put them in the front garden for a day or two before he could get a van to take everything to the recycling centre. He got a knock on the door one night, answered it and it was an Indian guy, asking how much he wanted for said seats. My mate said he didn't want anything for them as they were nearly done and he was just going to fire them in the dump. Indian guy took them and rode off in to the sunset. A few months later we went out for an Indian in Dunfermline, we were sitting at a table and the seats felt very familiar. Low and behold it was the old seats that the Indian guy took from my mate, all buffed up and painted luminous orange ! The guy came over, he was head waiter there, and after a few minutes of awkward conversation all was good and we left with half a dozen free bottles of Chang and bottle of wine :)

Slightly off topic? Slightly?

I think you need to look up the meaning of the word "slightly". And "good" whilst you're at it.

15 hours ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Peroni glasses never last any time when you take them. Far too easily knocked over with their shape which is too top heavy.

Best one I’ve taken is a nice Carling one with the England badge on it.

You are a walking stereotype.

1 hour ago, Myko said:

received_370571466691828.jpeg

Used to have a substantial collection, all pilfered from pubs I worked in at various points. Any time a new drink was launched with a promo glass, most of the staff would put one aside and take it home before release. Gave them away when I moved abroad. Haven't bothered starting a collection here.

Stealing glasses from The Norseman bar in Greenock is like restoring balance to the universe, as the useless, tight-fisted owner stole all his stock from establishments in the Greater Glasgow area anyway. 

Archived