Cable Endies v The Binos

The Binos make the journey this Saturday to Links Park to face top of the League Montrose in what should be an entertaining game for both sets of supporters. 

Given our recent poor form in the last few weeks on paper this should be a home win but as Clyde proved last week that being at the top does not guarantee the 3 points and I`m hoping that this is the case for The Binos on Saturday.

Last time up at Links Park we came away with a 3-1 victory and another result like that would be great but would be happy with a share of the points given our recent form so we shall see. 

Team wise for The Binos expect our new signing Kevin Moon to start and I wish him well on his debut. 

Prediction Montrose 1 Albion 1      

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Mo have experimented with their formation in the last couple of games and it hasn't worked! OK some of it was down to injuries, illness and the loss of a loan signing BUT we need to get back to doing what we were good at and that is by having a solid back line behind a solid middle line with at least one of the latter getting in the hole behind the strikers.  No ifs and buts, it must happen or we will leak points again in the next wee run of tricky fixtures.

For one reason or another, I haven’t been to Montrose for a few years now, and look forward to driving up on Saturday.

I was really impressed with them in the match before Christmas. I’ve said all along that I think Peterhead will win the league, but on that day, Montrose looked to have what it takes to take the title themselves by not been too flamboyant.

Not sure what to expect from us, obviously Callum Morrison has gone but we did ok without him for the last few games. Looking forward to seeing Kevin Moon play, and seeing how he will fit in.

Would be a great 3 points if we can get them.

Hard game the morn but think we will bounce back with a win.
Terry Masson and Liam Callaghan back in the team hopefully.No harm in starting the new lad nothing to lose hope he gets the nod.

Our home form has been terrible this season and we need a win to keep us in the hunt for the title.
I fear the worst for tomorrow but I am the eternal pessimist. Mind you, the wheels have certainly fallen off the Binos bandwagon since their last visit to Links Park.
Just hope they don't find them tomorrow.
Safe journey to the Albion fans making the trip.

Game of two halves for Montrose. First half: I don't think we had a shot on target; lack of effort and desire; too many stray passes and many attacking opportunities overlooked by constantly playing it back to Fleming; absolute bullet of a goal for Smith.

Second half changes of Rennie and especially CJ were I think where we turned it around. Sustained periods of pressure and two deserved goals; lots of chasing and effort.

Callaghan and Webster were my two standouts for the 90, quite a few others in the first half off the pace. 

Next weekend away at Peterhead will be another tough one - more of the second half performance against a side away at Berwick midweek and we've maybe a chance. 

2 hours ago, jd_mo said:

Game of two halves for Montrose. First half: I don't think we had a shot on target; lack of effort and desire; too many stray passes and many attacking opportunities overlooked by constantly playing it back to Fleming; absolute bullet of a goal for Smith.

Second half changes of Rennie and especially CJ were I think where we turned it around. Sustained periods of pressure and two deserved goals; lots of chasing and effort.

Callaghan and Webster were my two standouts for the 90, quite a few others in the first half off the pace. 

Next weekend away at Peterhead will be another tough one - more of the second half performance against a side away at Berwick midweek and we've maybe a chance. 

Agree with your comments game of 2 half, we could have gone in at least 2or 3-0 up but we go in only 1 goal ahead and we simply can`t defend a lead  and lost 2 goals. 

Saying that felt we were denied a penalty in the 2nd half before you equalised when Wullie Robertson went down in the box when caught by a Montrose player as he turned inside him towards goal and down he went. The Albion fans behind the goal were screaming for the penalty but the ref gave nothing and booked Robertson for DIVING would you believe. 

Still we face Cowdenbeath on Wednesday night and hopefully we get the win to move into 4th spot ahead of Elgin on goal difference. 

Remarkable turnaround second half, as stated above Stirling should have put the game out of sight before half time.  One great thing about Petrie is that he doesn't piss about with substitutes when he sees a game going Pete Tong, and gets it right more often than not. 

*pleasing gif*

Not long home and I’m absolutely gutted for Dave Mackay and the lads, we shouldn’t have lost that game, but sadly we did.

They say that Ref’s don’t lose you matches, but he certainly cost us today. At 1-0 up and with about 15 minutes to go, Willie Robertson was crumpled in the box, even the Montrose Assistant Manager, Ross Campbell, had his head in his hands, only for the Ref to come up with the verdict that he dived and from then on Montrose seems to get the bit between the teeth and go on to win the game.

First Half wise, that’s probably the most assured that I have seen us all season. The wind made it difficult but we could of went in 3-0 up at Half Time, just playing on the break.

Darren Smith scored an absolute wonder goal, another one for Goal of the Season contender, and, from the stand, it looked like Montrose Goalkeeper Allan Fleming pulled an effort out from behind the line (but I could be wrong) before MacDonald fired over the bar.

I tend to agree with the views that Mackay can’t continue to publicly slam the players but do little about it. Where my problem with today lies is that I don’t think there were many failures on the park. Kavanagh didn’t have the best of games, but never stopped trying and looking to get on the ball, but that aside I thought the rest played well.

Where the problem arose for me was that when it was evident that Montrose were coming into the game and piling on the pressure, the options just weren’t on the bench. Caddis came on for Moon and despite huffing and puffing, did very little of note and had Montrose not scored the 2nd, then I’m not sure McLaughlin would of come on either. I’m assuming everyone could see that it just wasn’t Kav’s day, but again, there was no natural replacement for him.

On a positive note though, the early signs would suggest that Kevin Moon looks like a really good addition in the middle of the park. Although he didn’t do anything of the sublime, he did look like an accomplished player who could play the ball, and had the all little flick that took the Montrose player out of the game. He was taken off but I think that was down more to fitness than what he did on the park.

I don’t really want to go on, I’ve kind of said enough. I don’t think we should of lost the game but the truth is we did, and Montrose could of maybe grabbed a couple more once the 2nd went in, but Dave Mackay must be starting to pull his hair out as to how to get the Play Off push back on track.......oh, and did I mention the 2nd goal was just a simple corner into the box?

Let’s hope we can get 3 points on Wednesday.

Laugh of the season.  The Stirling player who injured himself taking a throw in and had to be subbed off.  What an eeeeeeeeejit.

Laugh of the season for me was just before Half Time. A few “men” in suits made their way to the stand, to presumingly head to the hospitality for their Half Time refreshments only for them to stop next to the stand side linesman. Something happened (couldn’t see what because they were blocking my view) only for the biggest, fattest, 60’s throw back looking “man” to start a tyrant of abuse towards the linesman, making an complete t*t of himself. I could of sworn he was having a heart attack.....eeeeeeejit.

Thought we were lucky today. First half we were not in it .. lacklustre would be generous to us. Couldn’t complain if we’d been 2 or 3 down. We’ve been like that for the last month or so .. who knows why. Fair play to Petrie he changed it at half time and there was only one team in it second half. Thought our new signing looked like he has a football brain and hopefully will help to solve our goal scoring problem. As for the Binos penalty claim .. nah .. he fell over in the turn. Quite how the ref saw that as a dive is beyond me tho .. never a yellow card.

My tuppence worth.
Mo were terrible in the first half and lucky not to be 2 or 3 down at half time.
Looked like a different team in the second half. Credit to SP for the changes.
Looked like a stone wall penalty from where we were but the referee must have seen something.
When we scored our first, there was only going to be one winner.
Hopefully we can carry our second half display form up to Peterhead next week.

Archived