Clyde v Peterhead.

More solid performance today Peterhead weren’t great, Lang was class that boy has so much potential.. Goodwillie for me done nothing apart from the goal.. Lamont had a great game and the Adam Martin looks like he will be a good signing 

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was possibly the poorest Peterhead have played. I know McAllister has had family issues recently but he was easily the worst player on the pitch today. I couldn’t understand why JM hooked McLean instead of McAllister. At least McLean was making a nuisance of himself and actually working. Reilly never made an impact either when he came on. I’d argue that had Robertson not got injured Peterhead could have got away with a draw. No disrespect though to Clyde who battled to the end. Now further down the country on Tuesday night.

54 minutes ago, BullyWeeLad said:

More solid performance today Peterhead weren’t great, Lang was class that boy has so much potential.. Goodwillie for me done nothing apart from the goal.. Lamont had a great game and the Adam Martin looks like he will be a good signing 

Interested to see how he gets on. I'm a fan. When he's on the pitch he will make chances but he will also give the ball away because he's trying something different.

Amazing the turnaround in two weeks. You can't say that any of those eleven players didn't pull their weight today and whilst some were better than others, they worked hard to keep out a talented side. 

It was a scrappy game all in. Good early chance for Millar (created by a nice touch from Goodwillie) was well saved, whilst Peterhead had a low shot across the front of the goal from Leitch. 

Second half Currie made a terrific point-blank save (I think McLean should have scored regardless) before the rebound was ruled offside. After that I don't think Peterhead looked like scoring bar the shot from inside their own half that clipped the bar. Indeed, I felt they looked tired in the closing stages and the freshness of Martin and fitness of Lamont and Cuddihy saw us push them back. Goodwillie was offside 5 or 6 times, but onside once and it was a terrific ball from Cuddihy that he converted. It was a great sign of our commitment and energy that they rarely looked like levelling.

Tactically we seemed to give up possession to their full-backs. I think our own full-backs noticeably were in tight with our centre halves, presumably due to the threat of knock-downs from McAllister/McLean. That meant that Millar and Love had more responsibility defending the wide areas, and as such they weren't able to push on to close the full-backs down. As they game opened up we were able to be a bit more aggressive further up the pitch.

Currie put in another confident performance with one good save (the free-kick that skipped through in the first half) and one excellent save at the start of the second half. Home was an absolute colossus again (I'll start to ignore Ramsay, Wright, Breslin given that we've ended up with him) and didn't give McAllister a sniff. Also interesting to hear what he had to say in the programme regarding different expectations at Clyde. McNiff had a good game. Stewart did what he's done in basically every other game this season. Lang, who has meandered from good to bad in his other four appearances, was my man of the match; quicker, stronger, smarter on the ball. He could prove to be an outstanding signing. Perhaps a sign of Lennon's coaching that he was all over the place at right back this week, whilst looked like a natural there this week.

Nicoll has put in two performances that hark back to his previous spell at Clyde. He's not had to do anything these two games that he's incapable of doing but he's done it really well.The big difference in the two matches though has been the pairing of Cuddihy and Lamont either side of Nicoll. The latter has elevated our performances with his ability to turn into space and beat a player. They've both kept possession, covered ground and won second balls. Cuddihy's pass to Goodwillie for the goal was excellent. All three of them stood up very well to a talented Peterhead midfield.

Love and Millar worked hard and always look forward when in possession, but the time was right to introduce Martin and he had an excellent impact at a time when Peterhead were tiring. Goodwillie had a tough game against two decent centre halves. Still, set up our best chance (for Millar) in the first half, scored a goal and celebrated like he was 17 and it was his first strike. Absolutely ran his socks off as well and he deserves to have a few better footballers lining up behind him. You can tell he's enjoyed the last two weeks almost as much as our supporters have.

Peterhead will feel they were unlucky to lose but for us to restrict them to a couple of chances when they've scored 26 goals in 6 games means we're probably deserving of the win as clearly we raised our game a bit. Some of those footballers are proper players though; Stevenson, Gibson, Leitch. I've never seen one player dive so much in one substitute's appearance as Riley did. Absolutely pathetic.

The refereeing was dreadfully inconsistent. Don't know how he missed McAllister handling the ball, or how the linesman didn't see Love diving when Stevenson got booked, or that free-kick being blocked from 2 yards away, or Cuddihy being absolutely flattened in an aerial challenge.  That said, it got the crowd into the game, as did a battling Clyde performance.

11 points is a massive gap over Cowdenbeath now. We're still not safe (that horrendous run of results is only 8 days in the rear-view mirror) but you feel that Lennon and Moore have us heading upwards.

The description of today's performance as solid is actually a huge compliment to this side. We were, pre Lennon ,incapable of a solid professional performance well done guys! It sticks out a mile the influence a decent coach has on a football team take a bow Danny and Allan. 

Home had another great performance and is turning into a pretty decent player, Lamont also outstanding along with Lang what a difference players with a  bit of ability and pace makes. Goodwillie absolutly worked his socks off, not his best day as far as what we normally see from him, but considering he was against a decent defence and the wind made it really difficult to get any quality up to him , he as a constant issue for them and of course he did what he does ... Scored again! 

Fingers crossed that performances like last two weeks are becoming the norm, three huge games next up which will probibly determine the season. Keep it up guys!

Two weeks in a row I can say I would struggle to pick a MoTM for us. Not because they were all pish. Just that there were some really good performers for us. Lang was pick of the bunch for me. Looks a really good player.

Loved it today, real battling performance, not seen much of it in the past few years.

Was saying to my mate in the 2nd half I thought we might nick it

Great performances  all round but a special mention for Tom Lang who for me was easily the standout player on the park today, terrific and didn't put a few wrong all day.

Great to be looking forward to going to games again :thumsup2

lennon made 2 signings love and lang plus Martin on loan who looks an exciting player and given lamont a starting place has made all the difference he can obviously spot a player the fans were great today as well very positive roll on next week 

Just seen the clip of Goodwilies goal on the Instagram page. 

Now I’m no Gary Neville, but goodys initial run which pulled the defender out of position scored him the goal.  And for once the other attackers were on his wave length to then see his next run and deliver a great through ball.

watch and learn kids of tomorrow. 

It was a much better goal than I first thought; from where I sit it looked like he skquaffed it. No, he produces  a great piece of control and megs the keeper, it's a great finish.

Sorry David I should never have doubted you , of course it's a great finish as if you would score anything else!

Guest TOPFITTER

Awful game, another awful referee (the norm now !!!) Clyde probably just deserved the win always looked the more likely of the two to score. Peterhead had a full squad off day, might just have been the worst I've seen this season, close.

Note to other teams, if McCracken and Robertson decide they can play football at the back you have a fair chance of beating Peterhead.

After Tuesday night I'll have travelled 10000 plus miles this season but it will probably be the last season I will do anything like it, the reason ? The officials in Scotland are making a mockery of the game by their poor decision making and what appears to be their "It's all about ME attitudes", I can't remember the last time I've came away from the match thinking "hardly noticed that Ref". Sure the League won't miss my money but it'll get me and the wife a fair holiday !!! :)

Agreed, referee was terrible yesterday and yes many are. The guy yesterday though was particularly bad
I didn't think he was any worse than the usual bad quality refs we have in this league.

Other than forgetting the rule about retreating 10 yards at a free kick, did he make any major/match changing wrong decisions?

Archived