The Aberdeen Mega-Hyper New Stadium Thread

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

I lived in Aberdeen for 5 years and really liked it. Certainly not a shithole. Loads of great bars and places to eat, plenty of decent shops and the Vue cinema is brilliant. Shout out to the hidden gem that is the Maritime museum.

Aberdeen is OK but the accent is brutal and they're a strange bunch up there.

Edited by Peppino Impastato

1 minute ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I just think they're strange as they prefer getting on a bus for seven miles to having a football stadium near a pub.

I've no doubt that the new stadium will be a perfectly good facility for Aberdeen FC.......It's the transport links and surrounding amenities that will be done in a typically half arsed  manner that will see it become the McDiarmid Park of the North.

I've lost count of the number of times I've met up pre-match with Saints supporting mates (hardcore fans that kept their Club alive in the 80's) in Perth with the intention of travelling the 3+miles up the Crieff Road only to stay in the pub instead.

3 minutes ago, sjc said:

I've no doubt that the new stadium will be a perfectly good facility for Aberdeen FC.......It's the transport links and surrounding amenities that will be done in a typically half arsed  manner that will see it become the McDiarmid Park of the North.

I've lost count of the number of times I've met up pre-match with Saints supporting mates (hardcore fans that kept their Club alive in the 80's) in Perth with the intention of travelling the 3+miles up the Crieff Road only to stay in the pub instead.

Not just that the stadium will be done on the maximum cheap too, given its going to be their home for probably 50 years might as well go baws oot and do it properly but they will do it as cheap and shit as possible guaranteed.

31 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I just think they're strange as they prefer getting on a bus for seven miles to having a football stadium near a pub.

Although as a supporter of a team that moved 12 miles out of Glasgow you're possible not in the strongest position here

29 minutes ago, sjc said:

I've been one of those fans, although that was a good few years ago now. We even used to make it to the 208 then stay in there :lol:

2 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Eh? I think Clyde fans know exactly why moving miles away from your natural fanbase isn't a good idea.

Precisely.

All the comments from supporters on here who have gone through it and describing their experiences, and the general attitude is 'what's it got to do with you?'!!

It sounds as though Aberdeen have a few supporters out in the sticks who will benefit, but I am quite amazed at the blind faith Dons fans are putting in a Chairman who, by the sound of things, has done very little for them so far.  Why they feel he suddenly has their best interests at heart is a bit of a mystery.

13 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Precisely.

All the comments from supporters on here who have gone through it and describing their experiences, and the general attitude is 'what's it got to do with you?'!!

It sounds as though Aberdeen have a few supporters out in the sticks who will benefit, but I am quite amazed at the blind faith Dons fans are putting in a Chairman who, by the sound of things, has done very little for them so far.  Why they feel he suddenly has their best interests at heart is a bit of a mystery.

*bashes head against wall*

45% are outwith city. How many more will be stimulated to go without the King St chaos to negotiate?

Of the city 55%, large swathes will be closer to Kingsford than Pittodrie. 

11 minutes ago, fatshaft said:

*bashes head against wall*

45% are outwith city. How many more will be stimulated to go without the King St chaos to negotiate?

Of the city 55%, large swathes will be closer to Kingsford than Pittodrie. 

So 45% usually make a day of it (like many away fans) by enjoying both what the City centre has to offer i.e: pubs, bar lunches etc before walking down to Pittodrie. Now they'll have to factor in a 30-60min each way shuttle bus journey out to the new stadium.

9 minutes ago, sjc said:

So 45% usually make a day of it (like many away fans) by enjoying both what the City centre has to offer i.e: pubs, bar lunches etc before walking down to Pittodrie. Now they'll have to factor in a 30-60min each way shuttle bus journey out to the new stadium.

:blink: nooooooooo, 45% usually drive to the game (or supporters bus) and maybe do something, watch the game, do something or go back to their car, and drive home. Where would a bus come into it? That's why you drive. 

7 minutes ago, fatshaft said:

:blink: nooooooooo, 45% usually drive to the game (or supporters bus) and maybe do something, watch the game, do something or go back to their car, and drive home. Where would a bus come into it? That's why you drive. 

Really?! Supporting Aberdeen sounds shite if the whole basis of you support is: Drive to ground -> Watch game -> Drive home

I'd be amazed if that was the true percentage of fans that travel by car. Tynecastle and Easter Road are such good days out for home and away fans for the very reasons I gave previously. When I lived in Glasgow and traveled through to Tynecastle by car the day was far less enjoyable.

As a semi regular attendee of Aberdeen games (10/15 a season) and someone who lives pretty close to King Street it will completely change going to an Aberdeen game for me. I wont be able to pop to the Kings then the Scotia prior to kick off, I wont really be able to make a last minute decision to walk along - however that's my own situation. I have always travelled by public travel to Cowdenbeath games and getting there early and going to pubs, walking to the game is a major attraction for me. It is part of the reason why I love going to football, if I am honest. I hate going to Livingston, Falkirk etc in these soulless stadiums but I still go.

However, Pittodrie is a dive. The South stand is terrible - the entrance, the facilities (worst planned toilets in Scotland) everything. I like the Main Stand but it is falling to pieces and a bit of a lottery whether you will see all of the game. So, Aberdeen need a new ground and there aren't many locations available. They also need a training base, obviously, as their current training facilities are embarrassing. The plans looks good imo and it could be a real centre of excellence for the NE. As stated by many the ground itself HAS to be done right. If the club f**k that up they will never recover.

The site isn't ideal, I am out that way quite a lot and, while it isn't that much of a pain to get to by car, going by public transport doesn't really appeal to me. I would hope Colin Cameron type landlords would put on busses for regulars. Ensure that people remain town centre drinkers.

Also, Aberdeen have a hell of a lot of history so I hope they put a decent wee museum in. Celebrate football in the NE and try to encourage more people to come up here.

Finally, the fans have to get behind this.

As a semi regular attendee of Aberdeen games (10/15 a season) and someone who lives pretty close to King Street it will completely change going to an Aberdeen game for me. I wont be able to pop to the Kings then the Scotia prior to kick off, I wont really be able to make a last minute decision to walk along - however that's my own situation. I have always travelled by public travel to Cowdenbeath games and getting there early and going to pubs, walking to the game is a major attraction for me. It is part of the reason why I love going to football, if I am honest. I hate going to Livingston, Falkirk etc in these soulless stadiums but I still go.
However, Pittodrie is a dive. The South stand is terrible - the entrance, the facilities (worst planned toilets in Scotland) everything. I like the Main Stand but it is falling to pieces and a bit of a lottery whether you will see all of the game. So, Aberdeen need a new ground and there aren't many locations available. They also need a training base, obviously, as their current training facilities are embarrassing. The plans looks good imo and it could be a real centre of excellence for the NE. As stated by many the ground itself HAS to be done right. If the club f**k that up they will never recover.
The site isn't ideal, I am out that way quite a lot and, while it isn't that much of a pain to get to by car, going by public transport doesn't really appeal to me. I would hope Colin Cameron type landlords would put on busses for regulars. Ensure that people remain town centre drinkers.
Also, Aberdeen have a hell of a lot of history so I hope they put a decent wee museum in. Celebrate football in the NE and try to encourage more people to come up here.
Finally, the fans have to get behind this.

Well said sir

After this post I'm going to shut up and refrain from moaning about it (probably). What's done is done, and it looks inevitable, so may as well hope for the best.

I do still have serious reservations; for me Out Of Town is bad in any instance, whether we're talking football grounds, shopping centres, cinema & leisure parks, whatever. We should always be striving, wherever practicable, to integrate facilities with good public transport links and a local plan that prioritises  coherent urbanity.

I'm living in Glasgow these days, and I like using the city centre or surrounding neighbourhoods if I need to go shopping, or are meeting folk at the pub, etc. There is good choice, independent owners, and nice architecture to lift your spirits as you go from place to place.

Compare and contrast that with going to a shopping centre like Silverburn or Braehead: Hordes of mouth-breathing automatons, stumbling from their cars with their overweight children, wandering into the same 60 shops that can be found in shopping malls up and down the country. Sometimes going to these places for a day out! "Chanelle, let's take the kids to Frankie and Benny's for a plate of microwaved dog meat".

Pittodrie isn't fit for purpose as it stands, but I'll be sad to see AFC lose its ties to the infrastructure of the city itself. I also suspect that the financial knock-on to local hostelries and wider economy will be significant.