The Aberdeen Mega-Hyper New Stadium Thread

If it is eventually granted permission by the council I would expect the NTK group to launch a judicial review of the decision.

If it is refused by the council I would expect Aberdeen FC to launch an appeal with the DPEA.

Basically, whatever happens this is unlikely to be the end of it.

3 minutes ago, Jmothecat2 said:

Do any of the protestors arguments have any merit beyond a 'I just don't want it in my town' sort of way?

Even the Aberdeen Green Party have backed the plans.

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/aberdeen-greens-back-the-dons-plans-for-50-million-kingsford-development/

1 minute ago, Jmothecat2 said:

Do any of the protestors arguments have any merit beyond a 'I just don't want it in my town' sort of way?

There's an argument regarding greenbelt being utilised for this. But that's really all they have.

Approval of the CPZ & footbridge by Aberdeenshire Council (who already recommended rejection of the stadium, though it is not in their area) could be an issue for us, regardless of how the NTK group present their case.

A mate of mine says he has read that NTK have funding to mount a legal challenge so this is definitely a long way off even if we get recommendation to back today and approval on the 11th

There's an argument regarding greenbelt being utilised for this. But that's really all they have.
Approval of the CPZ & footbridge by Aberdeenshire Council (who already recommended rejection of the stadium, though it is not in their area) could be an issue for us, regardless of how the NTK group present their case.
A mate of mine says he has read that NTK have funding to mount a legal challenge so this is definitely a long way off even if we get recommendation to back today and approval on the 11th

Is anywhere not greenbelt? It feels like any time anyone wants to build anything in Scotland the greenbelt issue comes up.

1 hour ago, Jmothecat2 said:

I think if they (NTK) were to challenge a decision that grants permission they will need to hope that there is some kind of violation / contradiction of local policy that they can exploit like the permitting of development on designated greenbelt space. 

Indeed, reading through some of the consultee responses it seems that Aberdeen FC have been pretty weak at justifying the reasoning for the stadium and ancillary facilities needing to be in the same location particularly in terms of local and national planning policies (the response from the Aberdeen City and Shire Strategic Development Planning Authority certainly suggests a somewhat naive approach from Aberdeen FC in justifying the stadium development in this particular location). This could trip them up.

It might also depend on comments from Aberdeenshire Council as well given the close proximity of their jurisdiction to the development.

So whilst the protesters concerns might be able to be explained away what Aberdeen FC won't want to do is give them an in route to legal challenge by not properly complying with relevant local and national planning polices justifying the entire development.

ETA: Traffic and transport appears to remain a concern but not sufficient enough to warrant refusal of planning permission.

Edited by RiG

Could be a case that the council don't want any uproar from either side between now and the 11th.

More uproar likely from the Yes side, so I'm taking this as a recommendation to refuse

1 hour ago, Jmothecat2 said:

Any reason given? What's the next step if they refuse? Everyone is just angry but helpless because nobody can do anything in Aberdeen?

Its a recommendation but the vote is on the 11th when that really matters - i think they will be a recommendation to refuse planning permission but the council will pass it through - then it will go to court!