The Aberdeen Mega-Hyper New Stadium Thread

10 hours ago, Marr1 said:

Think they originally went for Lorniston Loch which was in Cove halfway between Portlethen and Aberdeen. Don't know why they have to put the stadium and training facilities in the same place.

It would be cheaper surely? Just paying for one piece of land rather than two.

On 11/17/2017 at 10:29, NorthernLights said:

Several steps back - https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/aberdeen-fc/dons-stadium-proposals-set-back-again-after-new-information-submitted1/

Will be interesting to see what has changed from the previous proposals.  

Nah the council knew there was no way they could approve the stadium when it broke so many of the long term plan stuff they had previously published. The new period will be about how the council got that plan wrong and the stadium is even more super than before. Plus they might do an actual transport policy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-42064381?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_sportsound&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=scotland

Based on some of the stories today it looks like the amended application is really going to push hard on the economic benefits in the hope, I would guess, that these benefits would outweigh any potential policy or planning issues/conflicts and therefore try and convince ACC that the application should be permitted.

6 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Did you write that?

Agree with the general points about the move being a bad thing for Aberdeen, but the points relating to Inverness and Saints are shite.

:lol:

McDiarmid is on 2 bus routes with buses every 10 mins, another 2 bus routes every 30 mins. A taxi from the City Centre to the stadium takes 10/15 mins and is around £6. You can walk it in under 30 mins. Saints crowds are pish and can be blamed on numerous things but being remote is not one of them.

19 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

:lol:

McDiarmid is on 2 bus routes with buses every 10 mins, another 2 bus routes every 30 mins. A taxi from the City Centre to the stadium takes 10/15 mins and is around £6. You can walk it in under 30 mins. Saints crowds are pish and can be blamed on numerous things but being remote is not one of them.

Yes it's not hard to get to.   I'd far prefer our ground was in the centre of town but that's just a personal thing.

To say our crowds are poor because we moved out there is just wrong. They're higher since we moved.  I'd put our average attendances since the 1970's up here, but it's an Aberdeen stadium thread so not that relevant!

ICT as well.. I don't recall their crowds massively dropping off because they moved to a ground on the edge of town. Has the town ever backed them in great numbers since the merger?

Having said the above, I would much prefer it if Aberdeen, Dundee etc stayed in town and redeveloped as Hearts have just done.  Even if it meant the final stadium isn't as impressive as a new one would be.  A football club should be in the heart of its community , with pubs, restaurants, train and bus stations in easy walking distance.

I don’t get the continued argument from some people, that because it’s the club’s directors that have “allowed” Pittodrie to deteriorate that puts us in the situation where we have to move, then we shouldn’t be moving at all. Like most fans, if we could get the facilities promised for Kingsford at Pittodrie, that would be my preferred option. However, we can’t, and as they say, we are where we are, regardless of how we got here.

2 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Did you write that?

Agree with the general points about the move being a bad thing for Aberdeen, but the points relating to Inverness and Saints are shite.

No, but it was an Aberdeen fan who wants to stay at Pittodrie just like the Hearts fans who wanted to stay at Tynecastle.

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

I don’t get the continued argument from some people, that because it’s the club’s directors that have “allowed” Pittodrie to deteriorate that puts us in the situation where we have to move, then we shouldn’t be moving at all. Like most fans, if we could get the facilities promised for Kingsford at Pittodrie, that would be my preferred option. However, we can’t, and as they say, we are where we are, regardless of how we got here.

You don't need the facilities promised at Kingsford, you need a stadium and training facilities.  These two things have absolutely no requirement to be situated together.  Surely it is easier to run two buses a day to your out of town training facilities than  100+ on Saturdays.

Anyway, I now see the financial benefits are being talked up - since the withdrawal of the original plans, we are now looking at a further £8,500,000+ boost to the economy!! AFC are a joke and have dragged the AGCC into this with projections based on 5000+ additional supporters turning up every game at Kingsford.  Kingsford won't see an addition 500 fans never mind 5000.  We might as well build a new 10,000 seater stadium in Peterhead on the same basis of "build it and they will come". :rolleyes:

8 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Did you write that?

Well, Dunfermline and Perth have similar populations. Dunfermline average attendance in the Championship 5800.

StJohnstone, a top six team, average attendance 4800. One is further away from the town centre (St Johnstone )but not nearly as far away as Kingsford from Aberdeen. Most of the Dunfermline support walk to the stadium.

If the Dons moved to Kingsford and they ever hit a bad patch, as all teams do, it could prove disastrous for the club.

Pittodrie is the option for me and two fingers to Stewarty boy.

8 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Yes it's not hard to get to.   I'd far prefer our ground was in the centre of town but that's just a personal thing.

To say our crowds are poor because we moved out there is just wrong. They're higher since we moved.  I'd put our average attendances since the 1970's up here, but it's an Aberdeen stadium thread so not that relevant!

Unofficial Twitter had figures up from the era we moved.  Cant find it now but I'm sure our current crowds are double those of the final Muirton years, and are identical to the opening decade of McDiarmid, the first few years aside.

People have this fallacy in their mind that every single ground in the country was sold out every week in the 80s.

7 hours ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Well, Dunfermline and Perth have similar populations. Dunfermline average attendance in the Championship 5800.

StJohnstone, a top six team, average attendance 4800. One is further away from the town centre (St Johnstone )but not nearly as far away as Kingsford from Aberdeen. Most of the Dunfermline support walk to the stadium.

If the Dons moved to Kingsford and they ever hit a bad patch, as all teams do, it could prove disastrous for the club.

Pittodrie is the option for me and two fingers to Stewarty boy.

Yes Dunfermline are getting excellent crowds just now, but you're not comparing like with like.  To be fair, they've always had a bigger home support than us even when we were playing at similar levels.

The only comparison you could make is us before and after our move. And our crowds increased a lot after moving to McDiarmid as RG said above.

I'm arguing against myself a bit here, as I agree with your overall point and would prefer clubs stayed and redeveloped, including Aberdeen; it's just I don't think Saints are a good example when making the point about crowds decreasing when moving to a new ground.

If you say it means folk just go to the stadium and go straight home, and that it's taken business away from the town centre then whilst I've no idea of figures, I would definitely expect that to be the case. 

2 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Yes Dunfermline are getting excellent crowds just now, but you're not comparing like with like.  To be fair, they've always had a bigger home support than us even when we were playing at similar levels.

The only comparison you could make is us before and after our move. And our crowds increased a lot after moving to McDiarmid as RG said above.

I'm arguing against myself a bit here, as I agree with your overall point and would prefer clubs stayed and redeveloped, including Aberdeen; it's just I don't think Saints are a good example when making the point about crowds decreasing when moving to a new ground.

If you say it means folk just go to the stadium and go straight home, and that it's taken business away from the town centre then whilst I've no idea of figures, I would definitely expect that to be the case. 

I’m sure the attendances at Kingsford would be decent initially but with fans not being able to walk to the stadium and the club’s horrendous transport strategy it wouldn’t take long for them to diminish . Who is going to wait for an enternity to get to and from the stadium in winter?

The only comparison I was making with Dunfermline and St Johnstone was the distance from the town centres and because they have similar populations.  Kingsford would be more than six miles from the centre of Aberdeen with inadequate parking (another big issue) and that transport plan.

Thats the club submitted additional information regarding the Kingsford proposal focussing on a number of points the the planning department had raised queries on. Based on a combined training/stadium complex, the Club can demonstrate clearly why Kings Links & Loirston are no use but I hope the supporting info on why we need to combine them is enough.

Link to the Club's statement: https://www.afc.co.uk/aurora/

Link to the additional information we've submitted: https://publicaccess.aberdeencity.gov.uk/online-applications/files/39B93B02D4641C2722A2963DB85EB6DF/pdf/170021_DPP-Supporting_Statement-1578549.pdf

The appendices to go with the above main doc can be found on the website too.

Plenty NIMBYism flowing in from Westhill, but with a focus on 'don't move from Pittodrie' as much as NIMBY.

2 hours ago, gkneil said:

Thats the club submitted additional information regarding the Kingsford proposal focussing on a number of points the the planning department had raised queries on. Based on a combined training/stadium complex, the Club can demonstrate clearly why Kings Links & Loirston are no use but I hope the supporting info on why we need to combine them is enough.

Link to the Club's statement: https://www.afc.co.uk/aurora/

Link to the additional information we've submitted: https://publicaccess.aberdeencity.gov.uk/online-applications/files/39B93B02D4641C2722A2963DB85EB6DF/pdf/170021_DPP-Supporting_Statement-1578549.pdf

The appendices to go with the above main doc can be found on the website too.

Plenty NIMBYism flowing in from Westhill, but with a focus on 'don't move from Pittodrie' as much as NIMBY.

“As requested by the Council’s economic development team, we have also provided further analysis which shows that the economic benefits of the development to the region are even greater than previously estimated.

Bollocks.

We are, once again, seeking support to get this application over the line.

We’d be very grateful if you could write in support of the application, even if you have done so previously. However, your letters must relate only to the information in the supporting statement. You can therefore comment on your support for one or more of the below points:

1) The site selection process (why Kingsford is the only viable and deliverable site)

2) The need for co-location (why it’s important to have the community sports hub, football training academy and stadium all on one complex)

3) The economic case.

I think that given absolute tosh like this on the official AFC page, anyone in support of the plans would probably be best refraining from calling any affected residents names.

1) Kingsford is the only viable option - right you are....

2) There is no need for co-location.  As an example, Aston Villa (who's ground and training facilities I have visited) are more than 10 miles apart.

3) There is no improvement in the economic case, only increasing detachment from reality.

PS. I am not accessing the attachment that you have linked to nor am I seeing any new lodgements in the planning case.

4 minutes ago, strichener said:

Bollocks.

I think that given absolute tosh like this on the official AFC page, anyone in support of the plans would probably be best refraining from calling any affected residents names.

1) Kingsford is the only viable option - right you are....

2) There is no need for co-location.  As an example, Aston Villa (who's ground and training facilities I have visited) are more than 10 miles apart.

3) There is no improvement in the economic case, only increasing detachment from reality.

PS. I am not accessing the attachment that you have linked to nor am I seeing any new lodgements in the planning case.

Thats strange, link didn't work there either.

The following looks to be exactly the same link, but it does work for me.

https://publicaccess.aberdeencity.gov.uk/online-applications/files/39B93B02D4641C2722A2963DB85EB6DF/pdf/170021_DPP-Supporting_Statement-1578549.pdf

The next link is to the website that has the 4 latest submissions by the club, supporting statement and 3 sets of appendices.

https://publicaccess.aberdeencity.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=OJMF3EBZIED00

If the links still don't work, search the planning application website for supporting statements. They were uploaded on the 21st Nov