Torpar

• 1 month later...

Got in just in time to see the first "new rule" sending-off of the new BBC deal.  What a downer, from the viewpont of a competitive game.  I hope any new viewers will stick with it.  As a Saints' fan, I am obviously extremely fed up.

Edited by Red Kite

On 23/02/2024 at 11:55, ICTChris said:

This could be interesting.  I think the game could move back to winter and the pitch technology would at least allow a bit of decent rugby league to be played.  The NRL are fighting their own battle with Aussie Rules and so I wouldn't expect them to try and take any market share from football.  This is something they could incorporate into their overall telly deal, pretty easily.

Watching the half-time interviews with the  Wigan legends through gritted teeth.  Very good players.

Love this lad Cleary. He could be the difference for Penrith.  Was lucky enough to see him in the last World Cup Final.

Awarding the tries was a bit of a lottery.  Few obvious errors, not least forgetting which version of the rules they were playing under and penalising Penrith stripping the ball.

Penrith great at piling on the pressure, but fair play to Wigan to sticking at it.

The 2024 NRL season officially starts today with a double header at the Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas. Sea Eagle v Rabbitohs (02:30 GMT) then Roosters v Broncos (04:30 GMT). All seems a bit of an NRL vanity project but will be good after the games as should stop the incessant promos about the games being played in Vegas.  Pitch is apparently narrower than the players are used to. Next game in the opening round is Thursday Knights v Raiders then Friday Warriors v Sharks and Storm v Panthers. Saturday Eels v Bulldogs and Titans v Dragons then Sunday Dolphins v Cowboys with West Tigers the bye

• 3 weeks later...

I see that the International Rugby League have reclassified Scotland Rugby League as an affiliate member, along with Ireland, Italy, Lebanon and Russia. This means that Scotland cannot qualify for the next Rugby League World Cup, due to be held in the Southern Hemisphere in 2026.  The decision is made on the basis of the strength of the domestic game, with countries that prioritise development of the game given membership.  A parachute payment will be given to Scotland Rugby League in order to develop the game domestically as compensation.

The issue is that international rugby league in these countries is almost entirely heritage players - I follow Scottish Rugby League on Instragram and they announced an under 16 team and just about every player is based in the North West England.  As far as I can see there is no youth rugby league in Scotland, there are three or four amateur teams but nothing else.  I'm just an armchair fan but I don't think the game has really been developed in Scotland at all.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

I see that the International Rugby League have reclassified Scotland Rugby League as an affiliate member, along with Ireland, Italy, Lebanon and Russia. This means that Scotland cannot qualify for the next Rugby League World Cup, due to be held in the Southern Hemisphere in 2026.  The decision is made on the basis of the strength of the domestic game, with countries that prioritise development of the game given membership.  A parachute payment will be given to Scotland Rugby League in order to develop the game domestically as compensation.

The issue is that international rugby league in these countries is almost entirely heritage players - I follow Scottish Rugby League on Instragram and they announced an under 16 team and just about every player is based in the North West England.  As far as I can see there is no youth rugby league in Scotland, there are three or four amateur teams but nothing else.  I'm just an armchair fan but I don't think the game has really been developed in Scotland at all.

It's quite a tricky issue rugby league has never been that big in Scotland. Naturally Football, Union and Cricket are above it but also so are sports like Curling and Shinty.  

I think though some of the U16 players are based in England they may well be being poached from Border Union clubs though that is speculation. 

There is also the issue of where are the players going to come from, there is just over 11,000 registered senior male rugby union players in the whole of Scotland so trying to move some over will have an impact on existing clubs.

One way could be to encourage players to play league during the summer (as I believe it is a summer sport) as I think happened at the start of the 2010s when there were 2 Moray based teams and a Ross Sutherland club. This I think may be the best bet as it encourages players to stay fit over the summer and would reduce the pain of pre season trainings. (Currently I play Rugby in the winter and Shinty in the summer). To do this maybe have exisitng rugby union clubs have rugby league sections. With both calendars fitting together.

I have had the thought the last few years when you see that even Australia rugby league is struggling that Union and league should come back together, but I think would be a really last resort for both sports and to be quite truthful I would hate it to happen.

I think it a shame that the International Rugby League body has taken this step, as overall this is going to set development back as the only real time you heard about Scotland rugby league was when they were playing in major tournaments. 

1 hour ago, CountyinBorders said:

It's quite a tricky issue rugby league has never been that big in Scotland. Naturally Football, Union and Cricket are above it but also so are sports like Curling and Shinty.  

I think though some of the U16 players are based in England they may well be being poached from Border Union clubs though that is speculation. 

There is also the issue of where are the players going to come from, there is just over 11,000 registered senior male rugby union players in the whole of Scotland so trying to move some over will have an impact on existing clubs.

One way could be to encourage players to play league during the summer (as I believe it is a summer sport) as I think happened at the start of the 2010s when there were 2 Moray based teams and a Ross Sutherland club. This I think may be the best bet as it encourages players to stay fit over the summer and would reduce the pain of pre season trainings. (Currently I play Rugby in the winter and Shinty in the summer). To do this maybe have exisitng rugby union clubs have rugby league sections. With both calendars fitting together.

I have had the thought the last few years when you see that even Australia rugby league is struggling that Union and league should come back together, but I think would be a really last resort for both sports and to be quite truthful I would hate it to happen.

I think it a shame that the International Rugby League body has taken this step, as overall this is going to set development back as the only real time you heard about Scotland rugby league was when they were playing in major tournaments. 

Yep, I think that's the only way the sport could possibly be developed - there's a limited pool of adults playing rugby and some of them would enjoy playing league in the summer.  Then try and develop the game in younger age groups for kids who play in areas where there isn't a strong rugby tradition.

I do remember seeing reports of clubs in Elgin and the Highlands back then but if you look back, these clubs all folded when the RFL withdrew funding from Scottish rugby league.  If you read rugby league reporting or forums there's a constant debate - should the game invest in the heartlands or try and push out into new areas.  I can understand the RFL thinking what's the point in investing big money in places where there doesn't seem to be huge interest.  Professional sport is a hard business to succeed in - just look at how many big rugby union clubs have failed in England in recent years.

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Yep, I think that's the only way the sport could possibly be developed - there's a limited pool of adults playing rugby and some of them would enjoy playing league in the summer.  Then try and develop the game in younger age groups for kids who play in areas where there isn't a strong rugby tradition.

I do remember seeing reports of clubs in Elgin and the Highlands back then but if you look back, these clubs all folded when the RFL withdrew funding from Scottish rugby league.  If you read rugby league reporting or forums there's a constant debate - should the game invest in the heartlands or try and push out into new areas.  I can understand the RFL thinking what's the point in investing big money in places where there doesn't seem to be huge interest.  Professional sport is a hard business to succeed in - just look at how many big rugby union clubs have failed in England in recent years.

I think doing another sport in the summer should really be pushed by clubs, not just football and rugby but also hockey. It's a great way to keep in shape and also helps keeps clubs alive. It does seem a multi sport athlete, even at amateur levels are no longer a thing which is sad.

To be quite honest I have no idea who the players were for the two Elgin side or where they would have come from (Maybe R.A.F and Army?) but I do remember playing for the Moray Schools when I was about 15 in the Moray Titans strips. Titans and Ross Suth lasted 1 season I think and Moray eels were circa 2009-13. 

Yes I do understand RFLs thinking in that regards but it's a bit of a chicken and egg scenario; do well, more exposure, more uptake; don't do well, less exposure, less uptake. 

I think the example that womans football has given is one that should be looked at, it has been given a massive amount of exposure, uptake is up and attendances are up. 

RLWC qualification has become a complete joke now - a single Europe group with France, Wales, Serbia and Ukraine (!) whose winner joins Cook Islands, South Africa and Jamaica to play for 2 places. Lebanon hilariously keep their automatic spot despite also failing the homegrown test like Scotland, Ireland and Italy (but not Wales or Jamaica) have.

That said as I've mentioned before RL here has been totally mismanaged in last decade.

Having reached RLWC QFs in 2013 and won European Cup in 2014 there was clear opportunity to play Four Nations game(s) here in 2016, and RLWC game(s) in 2022, to spark more interest domestically. Instead they all got played in England*... so coupled with playing just twice between 2018 and 2022 (home-&-away qualifiers in Oct 2019), and not playing since through lack of tournaments/tours/friendlies, the whole situation has now been completely squandered.

*between 2013 and 2016 we actually played 3 ostensibly 'home' games at Workington and 1 at Featherstone (with another due in 2021 but ultimately cancelled)