Listening to whole albums

Richey Edwards

We live in an age were it is very easy and convenient to cherry pick your favourite songs from albums and put them onto a playlist. There's nothing wrong with that, people enjoy different things and there is no right or wrong way to enjoy listening to music.

However, I had a discussion with a friend of mine who said I was "mental" for still listening to whole albums because "most albums have a few shite songs on them" and I could just make a playlist out of my favourite songs.

I almost always listen to full albums in their entirety. Not necessarily uninterrupted because I occasionally need to pause it to speak to people or do things that would be impractical or dangerous to do with music playing, but I usually manage to listen to a couple of albums everyday.

There's also a lot of brilliant music buried among the hit singles of most albums that I wouldn't have discovered if I hadn't listened to the whole album. For every A Design For Life there's a Strange Black Flowers That Grow In The Sky, for every Kayleigh there is a Blind Curve, for every Shiny Happy People there's a Country Feedback.

So, do you listen to whole albums or playlists?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

We live in an age were it is very easy and convenient to cherry pick your favourite songs from albums and put them onto a playlist. There's nothing wrong with that, people enjoy different things and there is no right or wrong way to enjoy listening to music.

However, I had a discussion with a friend of mine who said I was "mental" for still listening to whole albums because "most albums have a few shite songs on them" and I could just make a playlist out of my favourite songs.

I almost always listen to full albums in their entirety. Not necessarily uninterrupted because I occasionally need to pause it to speak to people or do things that would be impractical or dangerous to do with music playing, but I usually manage to listen to a couple of albums everyday.

There's also a lot of brilliant music buried among the hit singles of most albums that I wouldn't have discovered if I hadn't listened to the whole album. For every A Design For Life there's a Strange Black Flowers That Grow In The Sky, for every Kayleigh there is a Blind Curve, for every Shiny Happy People there's a Country Feedback.

So, do you listen to whole albums or playlists?

Perfectly good example in this album. A few of my favourite Manics songs are the likes of Further Away, Enola/Alone and Interiors. 

Your mate's a fucking weirdo for giving a shit about how you listen to music.

Unless you were listening to the Spin Doctors, in which case he might have a point.

1 minute ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Your mate's a fucking weirdo for giving a shit about how you listen to music.

Yeah, it's not something I'd think would be possible to get annoyed about considering most people use earphones. If I was imposing the way I listen to music on other people he might have a point.

And no, I do not listen to the Spin Doctors. I cannot even name one song of theirs.

24 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

And no, I do not listen to the Spin Doctors. I cannot even name one song of theirs.

They did that 'Two Princes' song that was popular in the Nineties. A lad I drove to work with bought their album based on that song and kvetched bitterly for weeks about being ripped off, as apparently it was worse than anal cancer, so that's always the first thing that occurs when the subject of shit albums comes up.

You know folk used to pay up to £18 for CD albums in the Nineties? Apparently that's £27-£28 in today's money  :o

16 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

They did that 'Two Princes' song that was popular in the Nineties. A lad I drove to work with bought their album based on that song and kvetched bitterly for weeks about being ripped off, as apparently it was worse than anal cancer, so that's always the first thing that occurs when the subject of shit albums comes up.

You know folk used to pay up to £18 for CD albums in the Nineties? Apparently that's £27-£28 in today's money  :o

No way :lol: I don't buy a CD if it is more than a tenner.

I am trying to think which album I bought was the worst. I bought a Rolling Stones album in HMV's two for a tenner section and thought it was dog shit. A grime album by The Mitchell Brothers (championed by Mike Skinner of The Streets) was dire as well.

Quite a few albums I can comfortably listen to from start to finish and often do given the distances/mileage I do for work.

Off the top of my head, the following are just some of the albums I can listen to from start to finish without skipping a track.

Pearl Jam - Vs

Guns N Roses - Use Your Illusion 1

The Music - The Music

Cypress Hill - Black Sunday

Cypress Hill - Temples of Boom

The Prodigy - The Fat of the Land

Rage Against The Machine - The Battle of Los Angeles

I haven't listened to a single playlist, don't even listen to that many compilations or mixes compared the number of albums.  It's definitely popular though, there's been a few times when I've asked bar staff what they're playing and they don't know the name of the artist and just say it's a Spotify playlist.  I play music when I'm working and some people have asked me what playlist it is rather than album/artist.

I can only assume folk who don't understand listening to an album right through must be used to the kind of pop stuff where you get the singles at the beginning, followed by a load of random fluff to pad out the running time. There are a multitude of records where you can tell the artist(s)/producer have put a lot of thought into the layout. It's such an odd thing for someone not to understand if they ever listen to other people's playlists on Spotify or whathaveyou.

I seem to remember seeing a headline on the Beeb's website a few days ago along the lines of "why the album may have had its day"  - anyone catch it? Can't seem to find it now.

2 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Yip. VHS tapes were similarly priced. 20 years ago I would think nothing of spending £15 on a video tape. I now grudge paying a couple of quid to download a film from Google play.

I do listen to whole albums. I've spent most of today in my scratcher wallowing in self-pity and so far I've listened to Iggy Pop - The Idiot, David Bowie - Low, Funkadelic - Maggot Brain and Joy Division - Closer.

It's been a fun filled few hours.:thumsup2

18 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Yip. VHS tapes were similarly priced. 20 years ago I would think nothing of spending £15 on a video tape. I now grudge paying a couple of quid to download a film from Google play.

I do listen to whole albums. I've spent most of today in my scratcher wallowing in self-pity and so far I've listened to Iggy Pop - The Idiot, David Bowie - Low, Funkadelic - Maggot Brain and Joy Division - Closer.

Good choice. Just as a bit of trivia, do you know the connection between The Idiot and Joy Division?

18 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Good choice. Just as a bit of trivia, do you know the connection between The Idiot and Joy Division?

Ian Curtis listened to The Idiot before he committed suicide. I'm pretty sure he also watched a Klaus Kinski film but I can't remember off hand what it was called.

17 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Ian Curtis listened to The Idiot before he committed suicide. I'm pretty sure he also watched a Klaus Kinski film but I can't remember off hand what it was called.

Correct. The film was Stroszek. I've never seen it but if the clips are anything to go by it's a bit bizarre.

1 hour ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

No wonder piracy was so big. I don't think I ever paid more than a tenner for a video back then, and that was rare. I tend to spend a lot more on entertainment products now that I don't feel like I'm being fleeced quite so much.

I always listen to a full album. Even if there is a shite song on it, I will listen to said song.

I also do this weird thing where I only listen to a song if I can hear it from start to finish. Like if I’m sitting in work and want to listen to a song as it’s stuck in my head and I’m on my tea break, if the song is six minutes long and my break finishes in four minutes - I won’t listen to it.... :lol: 

16 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

FFS Danny. I'd rather go for a walk and have a couple of pints. :lol:  1977 was Bowie's best year by a mile with his 2 albums and the 2 Iggy Pop ones he produced.

Archived