BBC bias

4 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Nope. Not what I said at all.

It was everything that you said.  You put folk in to a nationality based on appearance.  You went on to say that, "most people could do it with a very high accuracy"

They can't and they shouldn't.  

Edited by The_Kincardine

2 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I did.  You can place most people to a nation "with a very high accuracy".

This is indefensible.

That's absolutely not the same as saying you can tell what country someone is from by looking at them but anyway.

What's indefensible about it?

Edited by Gordon EF

On 19/09/2020 at 22:24, The_Kincardine said:

I had three main objections to your namesake's post.  The first is the one you initially picked up on that there's been too much population movement - especially in the context of our islands - that saying, "Scots look like this and Irish look like that" is utter nonsense. 

The second one is that I really dislike the implications of judging nationality based on appearance.  Now I accept that your pal's motives were clean but others who go down this path aren't.  He himself knows this which is why he prefaced his post with, "I'm not a bigot but..."

Finally, the idea that, "One side of the family looks different to the other so I'm right and you can't challenge me" probably pushed me over the edge.  Unless he works as a Weegie taxi driver he has to up his game.

I remember a weegie taxi driver on here.  Think he got banned for having posted like a weegie taxi driver. 😂

Edited by strichener

19 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

It's just not though, is it? You don't for one second think that suggesting most people could differentiate Italians from Indians is utter nonsense do you?

Given that this is so obviously true, tell us what distance you find it acceptable to say it's possible to tell people apart with greater than random accuracy?

Indian or Italian?

Sonia Gandhi.jpg

2 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

Indian

Sonia Maino was born in Veneto, Italy and her father fought against the Soviets in WW2. 

She now uses her married name which might explain a little why she is leader of the Indian National Congress Party as was her husband and as was his mother.

2 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Sonia Maino was born in Veneto, Italy and her father fought against the Soviets in WW2. 

She now uses her married name which might explain a little why she is leader of the Indian National Congress Party as was her husband and as was his mother.

I don't know how serious you're being but I'm not in any way saying that you can look at one person and tell definitively where they're from. That's utterly ridiculous.

4 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

I don't know how serious you're being but I'm not in any way saying that you can look at one person and tell definitively where they're from. That's utterly ridiculous.

Quite the 180 to go from "suggesting most people could differentiate Italians from Indians" being "so obviously true" to your post above.

Edited by strichener

7 minutes ago, strichener said:

Quite the 180 to go from "suggesting most people could differentiate Italians from Indians" being "so obviously true" to your post above.

I was pretty specific about what I meant by it though. I mean if people were given reasonable numbers of randomly chosen people from those countries, they'd get more right than wrong.

If I thought it was possible to get it correct 100% of the time, that's what I would have said.

Does anyone think you could, for example, be plonked down in a busy Mumbai train station with no clue to where you are other than being able to see who else was around you then if someone asked whether you thought you were in India or Finland, you'd just sit back and say "Absolutely impossible to guess, may as well flip a coin"

Edited by Gordon EF

12 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

I think it's just the suspicion that anyone who says they can do better than random on identifying where someone's from by the slope of their forehead probably can't, if it was put to a proper test.

OK, which isn't what I was saying at all.

12 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

You kinda did m90

There's a pretty significant difference though. I didn't mention slopes of foreheads or shapes of head anywhere. And I'm not saying it's possible to just be shown one random person and be able to accurately guess where they're from in the world.

Do you honestly think if you were shown 100 people from India chosen randomly from the phone book and 100 people from Italy chosen randomly from the phone book and asked to guess 'India or Italy', you would not be able to score more than 50% give or take, just the same as flipping a coin?

Edited by Gordon EF

6 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

The discussion began about catholic and protestant northern Irish, so I think I'll stick to that example. No I don't think I could, and I don't think most other people could either.

I don't think I could either for what it's worth.

Edited by Gordon EF

1 hour ago, Gordon EF said:

Does anyone think you could, for example, be plonked down in a busy Mumbai train station with no clue to where you are other than being able to see who else was around you then if someone asked whether you thought you were in India or Finland, you'd just sit back and say "Absolutely impossible to guess, may as well flip a coin"

what if your choices based solely on those around you were India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka or Bangladesh?

1 hour ago, Gordon EF said:

So if you were in Mumbai train station in the middle of the night and there was nobody about then you could convince yourself you were in Finland.