BBC bias

2 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Assuming you're remembering 1994, Claudio Taffarel has German ancestry.

What a typical Brazilian looks like is definitely not something which can be defined and is a dangerous conversation to have, but apparently Thomas Ravelli did have an Italian background as you can guess by the name, rather than having entirely Swedish roots.

The Brazilian passport is the most prized amongst the international criminal community, due to the ethnic diversity of the population. Just about anyone in the world can "look like like a Brazilian."

<Insert Kenneth Williams .gif here>

I despise bigotry with a passion, I would love to see Celtic and Rangers sink to the bottom of the sea, I've been an atheist for as long as I've been aware it's a thing - and I would say without doubt that there are facial differences between people of Irish and Scottish origin (including Ulster Scots). I know plenty of other normal people who can too. My mum's side are Irish origin, my dad's side are Scots, and the differences are obvious - higher cheekbones, more freckly skin versus rounder, fatter faces and darker hair.
It's a loose generalisation, there are obviously big proportions who don't match it at all and it only refers to a distinct origin that should mean nothing in Scotland today.
Surely nobody is going to disagree with that? Really?
Also, just because you can't see it doesn't mean others can't. If you've grown up knowing the ethnic origin of a lot of people - which is the case when it's in your family and when you grow up in an city with denominational schools - then you're going to be more likely to see it. This is true all over the world - I can't tell the difference between most peoples who live around the Mediterranean, but I know a Lebanese women who's amazed that I can't.
It wouldn't be controversial to say you can see differences in facial characteristics between, say, Finns and Swedes (Finns often have rounder, flatter faces), and out here on the fringes of Europe there's still a lot of genetic heterogeneity, so this really shouldn't be controversial at all. It's only sectarianism that's made it appear so.

ETA I'm not going to get into an argument about this, so if you disagree, that's fine, just don't expect me to care about the opinions of someone who doesn't have my experiences telling me that I don't know what I know. I'll not be taking the bait.
I think your missing the point. He was using the phrase "map of Ireland" to deduce the persons religion not simply that a person was "Irish" be that from North or South. By "map of Ireland" he meant Catholic which imo is wild.

7 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

You may 'despise bigotry with a passion' yet are keen to categorise people by nation based on their appearance.  In the context of the British Isles - which has been a delightful melting pot for centuries - this is a level of ignorance you'd not see even on FollowFollow.

My Teuchter auld man- from Sutherland - ticks all of the boxes you attribute to 'Irish' with the added bonus of blue eyes - another characteristic shared between both countries. You'd not be able to tell if he came from either Thurso or Galway.- and this is a good thing.

Your post is wrong in pretty-much every respect and your get-out of, " just don't expect me to care about the opinions of someone who doesn't have my experiences telling me that I don't know what I know. I'll not be taking the bait" is utterly pathetic.

You deserve a huge amount of opprobrium for this shite.

Did i just greeny the K man?

3 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Assuming you're remembering 1994, Claudio Taffarel has German ancestry.

What a typical Brazilian looks like is definitely not something which can be defined and is a dangerous conversation to have, but apparently Thomas Ravelli did have an Italian background as you can guess by the name, rather than having entirely Swedish roots.

it's a laugh now and again to Google "are *insert South American nation here* white?" and just see some of the purest expressions of blud und boden this side of 1945.

Edited by NotThePars

5 hours ago, Academically Deficient said:

The Brazilian passport is the most prized amongst the international criminal community, due to the ethnic diversity of the population. Just about anyone in the world can "look like like a Brazilian."

<Insert Kenneth Williams .gif here>

Brazilian Kenneth.jpg

On 17/09/2020 at 00:57, The_Kincardine said:

You may 'despise bigotry with a passion' yet are keen to categorise people by nation based on their appearance.  In the context of the British Isles - which has been a delightful melting pot for centuries - this is a level of ignorance you'd not see even on FollowFollow.

My Teuchter auld man- from Sutherland - ticks all of the boxes you attribute to 'Irish' with the added bonus of blue eyes - another characteristic shared between both countries. You'd not be able to tell if he came from either Thurso or Galway.- and this is a good thing.

Your post is wrong in pretty-much every respect and your get-out of, " just don't expect me to care about the opinions of someone who doesn't have my experiences telling me that I don't know what I know. I'll not be taking the bait" is utterly pathetic.

You deserve a huge amount of opprobrium for this shite.

I don't think my namesake said anything particularly controversial.

Thsi stuff clearly isn't 100% spot on in large part due to mixing of populations that have gone on globably for a long time. If most people were asked to identify Italian or Indian people out of randomly chosen sample of residents of those countries, everyone would be scoring significantly higher than 50% (random accuracy). If they were asked to do it for Italians and Swedes, I'd expect the average score to be lower but still significantly higher than random.

If you ask an American to pick out Scottish, English, Irish from random samples, I highly doubt they could do it but I'd bet a reasonable amount that your average British person would would still score better than random but probably not by a huge amount.

Total anecdote here but years ago but I told an ex girlfriend who was Canadian that I could generally spot differences between the way British people looked. She didn't beleive me so tested me with 4 photos of her friends who were all Canadian but had at least one parent from each of the four countries in the British Isles. I got all four correct and it wasn't even difficult. The probabilty of doing that at random is about 4%.

Edited by Gordon EF

8 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

If you ask an American to pick out Scottish, English, Irish from random samples, I highly doubt they could do it but I'd bet a reasonable amount that your average British person would would still score better than random but probably not by a huge amount.

I had three main objections to your namesake's post.  The first is the one you initially picked up on that there's been too much population movement - especially in the context of our islands - that saying, "Scots look like this and Irish look like that" is utter nonsense. 

The second one is that I really dislike the implications of judging nationality based on appearance.  Now I accept that your pal's motives were clean but others who go down this path aren't.  He himself knows this which is why he prefaced his post with, "I'm not a bigot but..."

Finally, the idea that, "One side of the family looks different to the other so I'm right and you can't challenge me" probably pushed me over the edge.  Unless he works as a Weegie taxi driver he has to up his game.

Edited by The_Kincardine

2 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

I had three main objections to your namesake's post.  The first is the one you initially picked up on that there's been too much population movement - especially in the context of our islands - that saying, "Scots look like this and Irish look like that" is utter nonsense. 

The second one is that I really dislike the implications of judging nationality based on appearance.  Now I accept that your pal's motives were clean but others who go down this path aren't.  He himself knows this which is why he prefaced his post with, "I'm not a bigot but..."

Finally, the idea that, "One side of the family looks different to the other so I'm right and you can't challenge me" probably pushed me over the edge.  Unless he works as a Weegie taxi driver he has to up his game.

It's just not though, is it? You don't for one second think that suggesting most people could differentiate Italians from Indians is utter nonsense do you?

Given that this is so obviously true, tell us what distance you find it acceptable to say it's possible to tell people apart with greater than random accuracy?

Just now, Gordon EF said:

It's just not though, is it? You don't for one second think that suggesting most people could differentiate Italians from Indians is utter nonsense do you?

Of course I do.  This idea of categorising folk to a nation based on appearance is fucking toxic.  We moved on from this shite 50 years ago.

1 minute ago, The_Kincardine said:

Of course I do.  This idea of categorising folk to a nation based on appearance is fucking toxic.  We moved on from this shite 50 years ago.

Well you're ludicrously wrong then because most people could do it with a very high accuracy.

1 minute ago, Gordon EF said:

Well you're ludicrously wrong then because most people could do it with a very high accuracy.

So if Scotland's First Minister and Scotland's Minister for Justice were on the same podium you could tell which was the Scot based on appearance?

I can see now why you've backed @GordonS.  Pretty tragic.