BBC bias

23 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

The discussion began about catholic and protestant northern Irish, so I think I'll stick to that example. No I don't think I could, and I don't think most other people could either.

That's why they have to ask obscure questions such as:

What do your prefer:

Coca Cola or Pepsi?

Snickers or Mars Bars

Praseodymium or Neodymium

Whose your favourite villian in Batman

I knew someone from Glasgow who could find a differentiator with anything.

9 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

what if your choices based solely on those around you were India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka or Bangladesh?

Well obviously, for me, that would be almost impossible to say.

Is there any reason you chose Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh as more "difficult" options, out of interest?

12 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

So if you were in Mumbai train station in the middle of the night and there was nobody about then you could convince yourself you were in Finland.

I do understand people's reasons for finding this kind of stuff uncomfortable but surely you're just being deliberately dense now right?

That example was about being absle to guess where you might be between two geographically distant options based solely on seeing hundreds or thousands of people who live in that area. I don't think "but what if there were no people" is quite the 'gotcha' you seem to think it is.

Edited by Gordon EF

1 minute ago, Gordon EF said:

Well obviously, for me, that would be almost impossible to say.

Is there any reason you chose Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh as more "difficult" options, out of interest?

On 20/09/2020 at 02:53, Gordon EF said:

That's absolutely not the same as saying you can tell what country someone is from by looking at them but anyway.

What's indefensible about it?

all South Asia so merely referred to neighbouring countries. This would suggest your claim that you can tell what country someone is from by looking at them to be rather wide of the mark. 

That's why they have to ask obscure questions such as:
What do your prefer:
Coca Cola or Pepsi?
Snickers or Mars Bars
Praseodymium or Neodymium
Whose your favourite villian in Batman
I knew someone from Glasgow who could find a differentiator with anything.

That’s something intrinsic to Glaswegians. I could definitely tell you which is which for anything.

1 minute ago, KingRocketman II said:

all South Asia so merely referred to neighbouring countries. This would suggest your claim that you can tell what country someone is from by looking at them to be rather wide of the mark. 

It's not that you think people from India and, Sri Lanka, for example, might generally look more similar than people from India and Italy do?

The whole point about using Italy and India is that they're two examples which most people in the world could probably score higher than random on. Clearly, the closer the countries are and/or the larger the mixing of populations historically in that geographical location, the more difficult it would be to the point where I, as a European, am extremly unlikely to be able to do that for India and Sri Lanka.

I covered this in my first post. I don't think the average person from the US would be able to differentiate bewteen parts of the British Isles, for that very reason.

11 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

Also, if you'd read the context of the post you quoted I was specifically not claiming I could just generally "tell what country someone is from by looking at them".

I absolutely don't think I or anyone else can or should just walk down the street going "Scottish, Scottish, Hungarian, English, Chinese, Scottish, Russian."

12 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Ahahahahaha he's heading up a British version of Fox News

https://mobile.twitter.com/afneil/status/1309547239514222592

Mr Farage, meet George Galloway. 

By offering a range of political perspectives through the day, it believes it will meet Britain’s impartiality rules for broadcasting, which are stricter than those of the US.

https://www.ft.com/content/470cf7f4-59e6-47c1-9efa-ce634b7980d7?segmentid=acee4131-99c2-09d3-a635-873e61754ec6

41 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

"GB News" is an objectively terrible name, too. Sounds like a Facebook group with about 300 members and a pinned post about coronavirus conspiracies. 

I thought that was the name of the news station in Drop the Dead Donkey, with the permanently pissed, bewigged Henry Davenport as the presenter.

01012651-9789-4EF7-921C-2A5B9D1D8D26.jpeg

Tennents bar on Byres Road had/has quite an eclectic mix of regulars. A long standing rumour/urban myth from the days when "homosexuals" were to be feared and/or segregated, was that one side of the bar  was a gay hang out - think it was the right hand side. Anyhow a couple of years ago I arranged to catch up with a friend I hadn't seen since Uni in Tennents which coincided with a Scotland away game on TV. He made the statement beforehand about making sure we stand at the correct side of the bar and I assumed this was a light hearted reference to the rumours from our Uni days.
Anyway I arrived a wee bit late and found him oddly standing outside waiting for me. I asked him if it was too busy to get a drink/see the TV, and he said it was pretty full but you can get served. He then added in all seriousness that because it was packed ""they" could be standing anywhere - even right behind you". 
Next to Neil Lennon