Players a bit unlucky not to have more capso

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Robertson (Hearts) and Kris Boyd are quite comparable. Truly great goalscorers in Scottish football, but didn't do that much when they (briefly) went down south. Both given some chances for Scotland, but usually in home games where we would play >1  striker, and ended up with about 20 caps. They both scored some goals in those caps, but it's hard to say if their record would have been sustained if they had been given more chances in harder fixtures and while playing as a lone striker.

On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 15:52, Willie adie said:

Eric Black, only two caps but I have a theory that Ferguson had a hand in that.

Aberdeen's CWC era had several promising players (Black, Hewitt, Cooper, Simpson) who, despite their young age, were performing very well at a high level. At the time I expected these guys to go on and win loads of caps but I don't think their total Scotland appearances reached double figures.

That's such a simplistic view. Boyd could have been useful in certain games but think of the Italy 2005 game: Miller bulleted in a header then ran their defence ragged for the rest of the game. Boyd might well have scored the header too (it was a Boydesque chance), but the rest of the game would have been all Italy.
Was that not Germany you are thinking of. The 1 each draw?

Just now, John Lambies Doos said:
On 12/03/2018 at 18:26, Gordopolis said:

That's such a simplistic view. Boyd could have been useful in certain games but think of the Italy 2005 game: Miller bulleted in a header then ran their defence ragged for the rest of the game. Boyd might well have scored the header too (it was a Boydesque chance), but the rest of the game would have been all Italy.

And when he says 'ran their defence ragged' he means ran about a lot to no affect threatening their goal in no way at all miscontrolling the ball several times.  You'll note we didn't score again.  Awesome example.

No, the Italy game in 2005 (I think you're meaning that Germany game in 2003 when Miller also scored a poacher's goal).

Pep, are you serious? Miller's performance vs Italy was raved about across the media, and he became a target for Italian clubs because of it. If you're going to run him down for 'not scoring again' then I think we're done here. Actually I don't know why I'm engaging again.

9 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

No, the Italy game in 2005 (I think you're meaning that Germany game in 2003 when Miller also scored a poacher's goal).

Pep, are you serious? Miller's performance vs Italy was raved about across the media, and he became a target for Italian clubs because of it. If you're going to run him down for 'not scoring again' then I think we're done here. Actually I don't know why I'm engaging again.

Aye?  How many of them bid for him?

On 3/15/2018 at 14:18, King Kebab said:

Ray Stephen is another one, handpicked by Arsene Wenger to build his Nancy team around and thus his own reputation, was very highly regarded in France and scored more than a goal every three games from central midfield - never got a single cap!!!

The guy would have his own thread on here if he was playing now!!!

That all sounds very impressive . The reality is Wenger was forced to sell his best players and replace them with cheaper players. Stephen was one of these. Wenger left Nancy were relegated. They spent 3 seasons in Div 2 eventually promoted finished 14th in Div 1. Stephen left and after one game for Killie signed for Cove age 30.

That all sounds very impressive . The reality is Wenger was forced to sell his best players and replace them with cheaper players. Stephen was one of these. Wenger left Nancy were relegated. They spent 3 seasons in Div 2 eventually promoted finished 14th in Div 1. Stephen left and after one game for Killie signed for Cove age 30.

All sounds very destructive, but what part of my post was incorrect???
i) Hand picked by Wenger to build his team around??? - true
ii) Was very highly regarded in France - true
iii) Scored more than a goal every three games - true
iv) Never got a single cap - true
v) if he was playing now he would have his own thread on this forum - true

But then there would probably be people like yourself on it saying he should be working in Burger King or such shite!!!

1 hour ago, King Kebab said:

All sounds very destructive, but what part of my post was incorrect???
i) Hand picked by Wenger to build his team around??? - true
ii) Was very highly regarded in France - true
iii) Scored more than a goal every three games - true
iv) Never got a single cap - true
v) if he was playing now he would have his own thread on this forum - true

But then there would probably be people like yourself on it saying he should be working in Burger King or such shite!!!

What part of my post was incorrect? and as for your tantrum at the end where did I pass any comment on his ability or wish any ill on him?

I was just adding context and balance to your post.  You failed to mention he spent next to no time under Wenger, was relegated in his first season and spent  the next 3 years in Div 2 where he was so highly rated no one from Div 1 signed him.

And when he says 'ran their defence ragged' he means ran about a lot to no affect threatening their goal in no way at all miscontrolling the ball several times.  You'll note we didn't score again.  Awesome example.

Miller is the 6th top all time goal scorer for the national team only behind Dalglish law Gallagher Reilly and mccoist.

What’s more important was majority of goals were in important qualifiers. Scored in important qualifiers against Italy, Germany, Ukraine, Norway, Czech Republic as well as crucial goals against Iceland 2-1 win, lithuania 2-1, win and liechtenstein 2-1 , win and Macedonia scraping a 1.- 1 draw. All important points at the time.

Plus a good team player and also a number of important assists.

Come on champ talk sense.

9 minutes ago, skippy2015 said:

Miller is the 6th top all time goal scorer for the national team only behind Dalglish law Gallagher Reilly and mccoist.

What’s more important was majority of goals were in important qualifiers. Scored in important qualifiers against Italy, Germany, Ukraine, Norway, Czech Republic as well as crucial goals against Iceland 2-1 win, lithuania 2-1, win and liechtenstein 2-1 , win and Macedonia scraping a 1.- 1 draw. All important points at the time.

Plus a good team player and also a number of important assists.

Come on champ talk sense.

Miller was fkn pish.  We've all got eyes. Couldn't trap a bag of cement never held the ball up taking pressure off the defence allowing us to get out, greedy, bad decisions, poor finisher, incapable of linking up.  Absolutely honking.

Also you need to look up the meaning of majority champ.  

Archived