QOS V League Leaders

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Delighted for Mullen as he's given everything in every game he's played. I was a bit unsure of when we signed him, really only because of the shocking tackle he put in on Jordan Stewart a couple of years back so I thought he was a w****r.

Typical fickle football fan I suppose. Wonder where that leaves Reilly for the next game? I suppose it's nice to have options. 

Delighted for Mullen as he's given everything in every game he's played. I was a bit unsure of when we signed him, really only because of the shocking tackle he put in on Jordan Stewart a couple of years back so I thought he was a w****r.
Typical fickle football fan I suppose. Wonder where that leaves Reilly for the next game? I suppose it's nice to have options. 

I have to admit I thought he spent more time on the deck than anything else. I actually commented to my pal that I was glad he was playing and not Reilly. I don't think Mullen was anywhere near effective as Reilly was against us. He got the goal though so that's all that matters really, though he could have sat on the ball before burying it! No idea where our defence disappeared to with that one.

Guest Flash
1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

It would be interesting to see our home record since the plastic pitch went in.  It probably isn't a factor because plenty of other teams seem to manage to play on it just fine.  It's hardly proven to be the massive advantage critics of 3G pitches claim it gives the home team either though.

I don’t think the pitch is the problem. If you take Dobbie’s goals and assists out of our away results, we would be 10 points worse off. Dumbarton would be 2 points better off, so we would be 9th. Basically, if you replaced Dobbie with Tam Brighton, this team is as bad as the one that was relegated.

7 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I have to admit I thought he spent more time on the deck than anything else. I actually commented to my pal that I was glad he was playing and not Reilly. I don't think Mullen was anywhere near effective as Reilly was against us. He got the goal though so that's all that matters really, though he could have sat on the ball before burying it! No idea where our defence disappeared to with that one.

This really, I thought we were the better team first half then just like the Utd game on Tuesday, we didn't come out in the second half.

I don’t think the pitch is the problem. If you take Dobbie’s goals and assists out of our away results, we would be 10 points worse off. Dumbarton would be 2 points better off, so we would be 9th. Basically, if you replaced Dobbie with Tam Brighton, this team is as bad as the one that was relegated.

Correct. I was with someone at their first game today and he asked me who our best player was. I was actually stumped. Excluding Dobbie we don't have any stand-out player in our team. Lyle edged it for me. Thomas is probably the best we have but isn't 'ours' obviously.

Up until HT I thought we were doing better than expected (I had low expectations). The goal we conceded was poor, it wasn’t Morgan’s mazy run that did for us but more that Mullen was left all alone - did Mercer leave him un-marked? Someone did...

Then a surprisingly well worked goal from us, lovely bit of passing down the left and Marshall slotting home. Rest of half was even - Saints only had one other shot on target.

I was hoping for more of the same second half, but we gave away a free kick in a very dangerous place. It was a soft one, I’m not even sure it was a foul. I wondered if Leighfield should have got it, but if it was low and just inside the post that may be harsh. We await the replay.

That seemed to deflate us and we never really got going. 

The third goal was too easy, and that was it.

I’d have left Ferguson on and taken off Lyle, but the game was gone by then.

Bizarrely, with three draws in the division we didn’t lose much ground to our play-off rivals, but the way we’re playing we’re wondering where our next win will come from, let alone putting a run of wins together. Have a feeling the season is going to fizzle out.......

Up until HT I thought we were doing better than expected (I had low expectations). The goal we conceded was poor, it wasn’t Morgan’s mazy run that did for us but more that Mullen was left all alone - did Mercer leave him un-marked? Someone did...
Then a surprisingly well worked goal from us, lovely bit of passing down the left and Marshall slotting home. Rest of half was even - Saints only had one other shot on target.
I was hoping for more of the same second half, but we gave away a free kick in a very dangerous place. It was a soft one, I’m not even sure it was a foul. I wondered if Leighfield should have got it, but if it was low and just inside the post that may be harsh. We await the replay.
That seemed to deflate us and we never really got going. 
The third goal was too easy, and that was it.
I’d have left Ferguson on and taken off Lyle, but the game was gone by then.
Bizarrely, with three draws in the division we didn’t lose much ground to our play-off rivals, but the way we’re playing we’re wondering where our next win will come from, let alone putting a run of wins together. Have a feeling the season is going to fizzle out.......

Agree about the first goal. Morgan had 3 QoS players near him but he didn't have to do a whole lot to get away from them and I assume it was Mercer who failed to mark Mullen. I know some Saints fans got a but defensive when we put the last 3 goals down to poor defending but that really was a very preventable goal. Our goal was well worked but from a Saints point of view I'm sure they'll have hoped to have defended far better as well.

Leighfield has got to be at least getting a touch on the freekick. The wall was on the other side so he needs to have that side covered. Great finish by Morgan though.

Our Manager set up with a formation (4-5-1) that was designed to frustrate our opponents but as invariably happens the only people left frustrated were the home supporters. I am not quite sure exactly what Ross Ferguson was going to deliver wide right in a midfield 5 but he spent most of his time marking Eckersley (who incidentally was carrying an injury from early on),You only need to look at the vast gaps in the home stands to draw your conclusions on what the supporters feel about the football on offer.

It was always going to be a big ask today without Dobbie but we have just had 4 vital home games against our main rivals and managed a meagre ration of 2 points out of a possible 12.

As others have said not sure why we signed Beerman he seems to be getting the same cold shoulder treatment that Stirling experienced.

Jordan Marshall played really well today and scored a great goal. I can't think of too many other positives.

If we get promoted, one of the things I'll miss most about the Championship is the torrid time we seem to give Scott Mercer . Usually it's just Morgan that does it but today Magennis and Reilly were getting in on the act too.

Four very good goals I thought. First one was a fine finish from Mullen (although the marking was poor). Equaliser was well worked, free-kick was great and the fourth was superb from Flynn and Morgan and then cool finishing from Magennis after he charged forward.

Felt we were the better side until we went 1-0 then we were poor for the rest of the first half. Breezed the second half and could have had a few more but that would have been greedy considering the Livingston and Dundee United results went our way. Just hope the injuries MacKenzie and Morgan suffered late on aren't too bad - both played on so fingers crossed.

An enjoyable day which also featured a steward trying to claim betting on the football match you're attending is illegal.

49 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

As others have said not sure why we signed Beerman he seems to be getting the same cold shoulder treatment that Stirling experienced.

Jordan Marshall played really well today and scored a great goal. I can't think of too many other positives.

I don't suppose you see any irony in complaining the left back we signed on loan isn't getting a game whilst simultaneously acknowledging the left back keeping him out "played really well and scored a great goal"?

I don't suppose you see any irony in complaining the left back we signed on loan isn't getting a game whilst simultaneously acknowledging the left back keeping him out "played really well and scored a great goal"?

Tbf Beerman played a game at LM and did OK. Thomas at RM and Beerman at LM is what I'd have expected today. I've no issue with Fergusson but surely a player who's played at LM would have been a better option than him today.

58 minutes ago, Stu said:

If we get promoted, one of the things I'll miss most about the Championship is the torrid time we seem to give Scott Mercer . Usually it's just Morgan that does it but today Magennis and Reilly were getting in on the act too.

Four very good goals I thought. First one was a fine finish from Mullen (although the marking was poor). Equaliser was well worked, free-kick was great and the fourth was superb from Flynn and Morgan and then cool finishing from Magennis after he charged forward.

Felt we were the better side until we went 1-0 then we were poor for the rest of the first half. Breezed the second half and could have had a few more but that would have been greedy considering the Livingston and Dundee United results went our way. Just hope the injuries MacKenzie and Morgan suffered late on aren't too bad - both played on so fingers crossed.

An enjoyable day which also featured a steward trying to claim betting on the football match you're attending is illegal.

:lol:

No irony whatsoever!!!!

You are effectively assuming that the only place Beerman can play is LB.

I think Beerman was signed as a left back when Jordan was injured but unless I am mistaken I think he has only played once at LB - his other brief appearances have been in left midfield. This would tend to suggest that our manager sees Beerman more of a midfielder. He even played Mercer ahead of Beerman at LB at Inverness which is hardly a ringing endorsement.

I am certainly not suggesting omitting Marshall in favour of Beerman but on the basis that we have so few midfielders who can actually pass the ball I would have thought that Beerman was worthy of some more game time especially when our results and performances have been pretty awful almost throughout the entire time that he has been with us.

I am pretty sure that when clubs like Rangers loan out players to Championship teams they expect them to get a decent amount of game time. We are not here to develop players from Rangers but equally if we bring players on loan then I think there is an expectation that it is a win:win for both clubs. When we loan players to Annan a similar expectation applies.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Missed this. Lolwut??

I was covering the game for Saints today and sitting beside a guy who was using his mobile to provide stats for betting companies - stuff they use for in-play betting. Steward came up and asked him what he was doing, saying betting on the game was illegal. Guy tried to explain about four times what he was doing before the steward finally understood and said that was fine but “betting on the game was illegal”. After he buggered off the two of us looked at each other in bewilderment.

Definitely not the brightest chap. Later on he asked me who I was covering the game for and said St Mirren, only to be asked with an accusatory tone something like “Are you working for St Mirren?”. By this point I’d had enough and just have him a snarky response.

25 minutes ago, Stu said:

I was covering the game for Saints today and sitting beside a guy who was using his mobile to provide stats for betting companies - stuff they use for in-play betting. Steward came up and asked him what he was doing, saying betting on the game was illegal. Guy tried to explain about four times what he was doing before the steward finally understood and said that was fine but “betting on the game was illegal”. After he buggered off the two of us looked at each other in bewilderment.

Definitely not the brightest chap. Later on he asked me who I was covering the game for and said St Mirren, only to be asked with an accusatory tone something like “Are you really working for St Mirren?”. By this point I’d had enough and just have him a snarky response.

Well no, betting on the game is not illegal. However, providing live in play updates from SPFL matches IS unless you are from Opta who have paid for a license to do it. Dont know about St Mirren but at Palmerston we have been plagued by one particular company who try to do it regularly without paying for a licence. On instruction from the League, stewards are looking for it and different reps of theirs have been removed from the ground several times. 

Sounds like the steward was asked to check what he was doing and who he was working for and got his instructions garbled. If your guy was from Opta (& they did have a rep there) all he needed to do was confirm it. If he wasnt from Opta he absolutely shouldnt be providing in play stats and should have been asked to stop immediately or be removed.

Archived