Netflix

Biscuits

Recently read the book The Three Body Problem and its sequel The Dark Forest. Yet to read the third one (Death's End).

Anyway, really enjoyed The Three Body Problem and saw a trailer for a Netflix series due to air in January. 

Buzzing for that. Would highly recommend you read the book, not just because of the upcoming series but because it's genuinely tremendous. It's an outstanding read, a fresh, original take on sci-fi with emphasis on both science and fiction. 

It has a 'matrix' like simulation (everyone who uses it knows it's a simulation and can join and leave at will, and indeed do; the simlations take place in feudal times, mainly in China and surrouding areas) to help solve a mathematical astronomical problem, the eponymous problem. At the start you'll be wondering why the f**k you're reading about 60s China and the cultural revolution, but fair to say this provides context when you skip forward decades shortly after.

Aye, there are aliens. But this shit is more 'grounded', as much as 'invading aliens' can be. You see, the invading alien force will take decades to get to Earth due to the vast distances to travel. However there are 'sympathisers' who want to derail humanity and welcome their new alien overlords. These aliens live on a planet with three suns, thus the title, the 'problem' being that nothing can survive three suns at once (these aliens, dubbed 'Trisolarans' have the ability to 'dehydrate' when three suns rise in their sky).

I'll not spoiler things more other than to say the sequel deals with things when the 'invasion' is a bit (relatively; it's still years from Earth) closer. The sequel deals with ways to stop the invasion and the folk working to stop those efforts.[/spoilers]

The Dark Forest is a worthy sequel and well worth reading too. Hugely enjoyable.

Edited by DA Baracus

On 24/07/2023 at 16:14, Venti said:

Witcher s3 is dugshite.

S3 is entirely redundant in your post.

The Netflix adaptation of Witcher is absolute dugshite.

There's just so much wrong with it. The only redeeming parts of season 1 were the bits they had to include to get the fans on board early. The Renfry episode. The Borch 3 Jackdaws episode. It was fan service to try and fool the existing fans into believing that the adaptation was going to be good. Instead they absolutely destroyed characters right from the off. Casting choices were questionable. The promotion of Fringilla to an early main character was just flat out wrong.

The writing in the show has been consistently rubbish. The Conclave felt like it was reduced to High School Musical. The treatment of the other witchers at Kaer Mohren was baffling. The elves likewise. Vizimir and Radovid are laughable. Somewhere between panto camp and chuckle brothers inept. The worst is the treatment of Cahir. 3 series making him a psychotic bad guy and from absolutely nowhere he decides that the emperor is lying to him/using him and he's decided to throw himself at Cirri's mercy. I've read the books. I know how things should turn out with Cahir. But that scene in the show came from absolutely nowhere. If all you had to work with was the Netflix show then you'd be left wondering if you'd maybe missed a couple of episodes. It was so poorly set up. Came from absolutely nowhere and it's as good an example of the low standard of writing on the show as any.

Hopefully they'll cancel it. It's beyond the point where they can even come close to rescuing something from the sorry mess they've created.

12 hours ago, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

Most of you are the be the opposite of the target demographic but season two of Heartstopper is just as incredible as the first

Loved the first season when I finally got round to it so going to get through season two when I'm off in a couple of week's time. Cannot wait.

On 05/08/2023 at 01:35, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

Most of you are the be the opposite of the target demographic but season two of Heartstopper is just as incredible as the first

I'm probably not the target audience here but I enjoyed this. 

I'd rather watch this than the cookery/property/game shows that make up most of the terrestrial TV schedule. Good, emotional drama very well made. 

Yeah the Witcher is poor and itll be a real struggle for it to survive much longer.

Even taking aside the poor story direction and characters etc., they just edit it in such a way that makes it so hard to follow even if youre trying to see past that.

Things seem to just randomly jump to a difference scene without ever resolving what happened in the previous one a lot, then they follow it up and youve still no idea how things led to that point.

Like they made every episode 2hrs long then just slash at it until its 1hr long.

Quarterback

Decent wee 8-parter. Even if you don't like American Football it's probably still a decent watch. 

Thought the 3 QB came across well. Cousins seems a really nice guy and Mahomes surprised me. He's (understandably so) a really confident guy but he's extremely humble as well. A bit of a machine too. Worst thing about the show was his Mrs being constantly shoehorned in whenever possible. Didn't think the other two wives got anywhere near as much time (and they seemed nice) whereas this irritating arsehole seemed to be on every second scene when it involves Mahomes. The only time she was in the background was when she never had her face plastered. Very annoying individual. 

Good watch regardless. 

Bit of a weird one

Show called Manifest, seasons 1 and 4 are on netflix, season 2 and 3 need acquired "elsewhere" 

Mrs binged 3 seasons so far in a week since she finished ted lasso, is hooked on it, kept banging on to give it a try, so far 9eps into first season its no bad tbh, 

Basically a plane on a routine flight from Jamaica to JFK sufferes turbulence then when it lands they all find out they've been missing for 5.5 years and haven't aged a day while everyone has lived their lives, the passengers feel its only been hours obviously 

Its kinda of the same mould as Lost, Flashforward etc, 

Edited by 54_and_counting

17 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

Bit of a weird one

Show called Manifest, seasons 1 and 4 are on netflix, season 2 and 3 need acquired "elsewhere" 

Mrs binged 3 seasons so far in a week since she finished ted lasso, is hooked on it, kept banging on to give it a try, so far 9eps into first season its no bad tbh, 

Basically a plane on a routine flight from Jamaica to JFK sufferes turbulence then when it lands they all find out they've been missing for 5.5 years and haven't aged a day while everyone has lived their lives, the passengers feel its only been hours obviously 

Its kinda of the same mould as Lost, Flashforward etc, 

I‘ve been binging this for the last couple of weeks. Series 2 and 3 are available on sky. I’m on season 4, it’s decent. 

53 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I‘ve been binging this for the last couple of weeks. Series 2 and 3 are available on sky. I’m on season 4, it’s decent. 

It was originally shown on Sky but got cancelled after 3 seasons by its network. Netflix decided to resurrect it so the 4th and final season could be made. 

I'm guessing Sky still hold the broadcast rights to seasons 2 and 3 and when these expire all 4 seasons will end up on Netflix. 

Recently started Black Mirror and today gave episode 1 of S.2 a go.

Packing it in. Too depressing to watch, gave it 10 minutes until the lassie started emailing her deceased BF and gave up. Need something a bit more upbeat right now.

11 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Packing it in. Too depressing to watch, gave it 10 minutes until the lassie started emailing her deceased BF and gave up. Need something a bit more upbeat right now.

Something more upbeat?

watch the short series on “how to become a cult leader” Then take on board what it says and attempt to overthrow div from the motherland.

1 hour ago, buchan30 said:

Something more upbeat?

watch the short series on “how to become a cult leader” Then take on board what it says and attempt to overthrow div from the motherland.

Intriguing but I'd rather be pulling the strings from the shadows than over lording it in public.

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

Head to Paramount Plus. Watch Subspace Rhapsody. 

You'll smile for days.