Netflix

Biscuits

Yeah had no idea he got so much hate and abuse after the sending off*, i laughed at it when it happened, but felt sorry for him watching this documentary. Says a lot for him sticking with it at Real too, and not just saying to himself, f**k them.

Always thought Posh was behind all his moves to fashion capitals, all over the world, shows i knew fuckall, have respect for him after watching this. 

*Shows what a horrible c**t of a human being Hoddle is, throwing a young player to the hyenas for a feeding frenzy, instead of doing his job as a manager to protect him, absolutely disgusting thing to do.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

On 10/10/2023 at 11:37, velo army said:

I always liked Beckham in spite of myself, and I I remember being aghast at the abuse he was getting after the 98 World Cup. It was clear that Simeone had made a meal of it and I was bemused that he or Nilsen (the ref) hadn't been the subject of the opprobrium instead of Beckham. Watching it now and I'm beyond disgusted at the reaction of Hoddle after the game. An absolute coward of a man and he set the tone of blaming the player for it. Honestly if Beckham had just decided after that to sack off playing for England they would have utterly deserved it.

It's a really well done documentary that I think is well rounded. His dad is a good guy but they don't shy away from the possibility that he pushed Beckham a bit too hard when he was younger. Beckham himself comes across as grounded, humble and a genuinely lovely fella. His wife, as always, exudes warmth too. Funny that her public image was always one of detached coolness but any time she is interviewed (especially with her husband) she radiates warmth.

The strength of character he showed to come back from a setback that would have destroyed lesser men was a moving aspect to the second episode. I'm looking forward to the next few tbh.

I actually thought Paul Ince came across well. Of course he's going to be pissed off that Simeone over egged the pudding and cost his team massively. We've all got moments that we still think about rancorously (Jan Rezek could cure cancer but I'd still want to snap his legs for that fucking dive against us, for instance) so I'm not going to judge him for that.

Anyway, Beckham is a good guy and his story is a compelling one. The film-maker does a fine job.

I’ve only watched the first episode so far but totally agree with all you said. And it should never have been a red anyway, was a tap on the leg. Yellow all day long. Big hard man Simeone eh?

3 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Yeah had no idea he got so much hate and abuse after the sending off*, i laughed at it when it happened, but felt sorry for him watching this documentary. Says a lot for him sticking with it at Real too, and not just saying to himself, f**k them.

Always thought Posh was behind all his moves to fashion capitals, all over the world, shows i knew fuckall, have respect for him after watching this. 

*Shows what a horrible c**t of a human being Hoddle is, throwing a young player to the hyenas for a feeding frenzy, instead of doing his job as a manager to protect him, absolutely disgusting thing to do.

Aye I remember absolutely loving it when he got sent off, but the reaction of the English fans and media swiftly changed my mind on that. I found it bemusing at the time, but it was only when I watched the documentary that I put two and two together with Hoddle's post match remarks. The England fans don't deserve him tbh. He played 115 times for them but he should have told them to shove it after the 1998 WC. 

The documentary shows a fundamentally decent man. He's nobody's idea of a genius, and he doesn't come across as particularly worldly, but he seems to have a fairly good idea of how to treat people. Landon Donovan's account of their fallout and reconciliation is beautiful. 

Regarding the comments above around his involvement with Qatar, it is unfortunate that he got involved with that and perhaps he did speak to LGBT folk over there who gave him a different picture. As I said, he doesn't seem particularly worldly. A lot of his money has been made through endorsements and using his image (while employing advisers who are much smarter than he is) so I can believe him not being much of a big picture guy when it comes to social issues. 

Anyway, the last episode was beautiful and the way it was all shot was gorgeous. The lad what made it did a fantastic job.

The editing in Beckham was really good too. Like the bit about celebrity. 

"Oh no. Celebrity never changed me. I stayed the same."

Cut to Fergie: "Oh aye, it changed him. Changed him a lot."

Or [my favourite]. 

David Beckham: "There was a chant. A horrible, horrible chant and I can't bring myself to say it."

Cut to Victoria: "Posh Spice takes it up the arse!"

29 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

The editing in Beckham was really good too. Like the bit about celebrity. 

"Oh no. Celebrity never changed me. I stayed the same."

Cut to Fergie: "Oh aye, it changed him. Changed him a lot."

Or [my favourite]. 

David Beckham: "There was a chant. A horrible, horrible chant and I can't bring myself to say it."

Cut to Victoria: "Posh Spice takes it up the arse!"

That wasn’t the real song. It was Posh spice is a shagger, she really loves the Boaby, and when she’s shagging Beckham, she thinks of Thomas Scobbie. 

On 06/10/2023 at 22:15, Iminavest said:

Watched the first part of 'Beckham' which is worth it alone for the last 10 minutes of pure nigel seeth. Paul Ince is clearly still a very angry wee guy.

On 07/10/2023 at 11:06, eindhovendee said:

Have watched 2 episodes now with Mrs. E who like Victoria can't stand football but is watching for the celebrities and drama.

Got to admit to being surprised how much I've enjoyed it, getting Simeone on admitting that he didn't think it was a red card and hamming it up while lying there had me in stitches.

I didn't know that Beckham got as much abuse as he did, I thought it was the usual boos but that was way OTT. I found myself almost cheering as he turned it round especially when he swapped shirts with Simeone after the CL QF when MU beat Inter. A proper GIRFUY to the the arseholes which must have had them apoplectic with rage.

Also loving the abuse/revenge that Glen Hoddle is getting, Beckham's Mum and wife not holding back.

Looking forward to the next two parts.

Two episodes in with Mrs M. Was only 12 at the time remember the red card well and thinking it was brilliant. I know he got hard time after it as I’m sure The Fantasy Football League shown the doll being hanged and saying this is what’s waiting Beckham at Upton Park first away game. I didn’t realise it went on for so long though. 
said to the wife I wonder if it was one of the other players who go kicked out and got sent off if the witch hunt would have happened or because it was Beckham with his lifestyle, being with Victoria, Manchester United player of the hatred would have been strong. 

Mind thinking even at 12 years old that being blamed for losing against Argentina was harsh but it shows just how disgusting the English press and people can be when they turn on their own. Horrific stuff, that'd have ended most people. I'm genuinely in awe that he came through all that stronger, never mind at all.

One thing I'd have liked to have heard more about is the lawsuit with Posh and Portsmouth back in the day. I can't imagine he'd let his wife sue them for use of the word, would have been goo to hear about it. 

Side note I think she's better looking than ever right now. Came across really well too, was surprised how down to earth the lass is except for that working class moment, hilarious from Becks.

Fall of the House of Usher is terrific.  Really enjoyed the first two, though it helps if you are familiar with the works of Edgar Allan Poe.  Particularly the second episode.  

Edited by Savage Henry

Watched the Beckham documentary, he actually seems really likeable. (Although i have never really disliked him) you can see the passion for football was always there and it’s all he wanted to do growing up, probably like most of us. What i will say is, stuff that life of having cameras and massive crowds everywhere you go. Victims of their own success/fame i know, but it just seems like an utter ball ache. It shows what we already know about the brittish media though, build you up and at the earliest opportunity tear you apart again. 

On 14/10/2023 at 12:27, Stellaboz said:

Mind thinking even at 12 years old that being blamed for losing against Argentina was harsh but it shows just how disgusting the English press and people can be when they turn on their own. Horrific stuff, that'd have ended most people. I'm genuinely in awe that he came through all that stronger, never mind at all.

One thing I'd have liked to have heard more about is the lawsuit with Posh and Portsmouth back in the day. I can't imagine he'd let his wife sue them for use of the word, would have been goo to hear about it. 

Side note I think she's better looking than ever right now. Came across really well too, was surprised how down to earth the lass is except for that working class moment, hilarious from Becks.

Peterborough. I was thinking during that whole doc that that was something massively hammed up for the papers or was the work of someone behind the scenes. It doesn't seem to make sense that she would have done that given the negative publicity and opprobrium that would have attracted. 

• 1 month later...

Scott Pilgrim Takes Off dropped last week. Scott Pilgrim vs The World is one of my favourite movies for a whole host of reasons so I was eager to see this animated version with all the actors from the movie coming back to voice their characters. The first episode is very reminiscent of the movie and if this is what the series was going to be, I'd've been quite happy with that. But it takes a sudden turn, becomes something quite different while remaining true to the original. I absolutely loved it.

4 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Watching Cantona in a series called "Inhuman Resources", a French update on the Yosser Hughes character in Boys from the Black Stuff. He's absolutely superb.

Sounds like a conceptual nightmare, but I’m going to give that a try. 

Finished watching The Midnight Club as it was the last remaining Mike Flanagan show I had left to watch. Absolutely shite with a terrible ending which leaves more questions than answers. 

A real shame as I really rate the rest of his output. As @Savage Henrysaid, Fall of the House of Usher was excellent.