Motherwell v Aberdeen Scottish Cup Semi Final

welldaft

1 minute ago, welldaft said:

I see MJC trying his best efforts to win friends and influence people...at least any Aberdeen fans reading that know it is only MJC which pretty much renders that statement as pretty much useless.

We will take at best 6-8000 to the semi and Aberdeen 14-16,000 = 20-24,000 max which at the top end is bigger than either Easter Rd or Tynecastle can hold.  Actually I think we would stand a better chance at say Tynecastle where it is a tighter pitch.

For once I agree with the point MJC makes that Hampden for better or worse is the National stadium and for the players themselves it is more of a novelty and prestigious (reward) than playing at a stadium you already play at a couple of times each and every year.

I see we have now lost Tanner to long term injury.  With McHugh missing the semi also we are now pretty much evens with the Dons in terms of 1st team players unavailable.  Hopefully no more injuries between now and the game.

I'm really not trying to do anything other than voice an opinion.

The loss of Tanner will indeed be a blow for this game, as he is by far our most skillful and creative asset. It's going to be exceptionally tough for us to progress from this tie. Bigirimana may be an option behind the front two? It could well be a very even game especially given their absences so extra time and penalties are a possibility I reckon.

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, welldaft said:

I see MJC trying his best efforts to win friends and influence people...at least any Aberdeen fans reading that know it is only MJC which pretty much renders that statement as pretty much useless.

We will take at best 6-8000 to the semi and Aberdeen 14-16,000 = 20-24,000 max which at the top end is bigger than either Easter Rd or Tynecastle can hold.  Actually I think we would stand a better chance at say Tynecastle where it is a tighter pitch.

For once I agree with the point MJC makes that Hampden for better or worse is the National stadium and for the players themselves it is more of a novelty and prestigious (reward) than playing at a stadium you already play at a couple of times each and every year.

I see we have now lost Tanner to long term injury.  With McHugh missing the semi also we are now pretty much evens with the Dons in terms of 1st team players unavailable.  Hopefully no more injuries between now and the game.

We'll take 10k ish.

1 hour ago, MJC said:

Aberdeen and everything about it is a special brand of miserable though. Horrible city, horrible people with a horrible attitude and a horrible accent.

Unlike Scotland's post-industrial heartland of North Lanarkshire, where the locals speak with that nasal weegie accent.

I encountered this on my drive along the A71 on Tuesday and was reminded how lucky we are in the north-east.

As for the match - I guess Tanner's unfortunate injury offsets any "excuses" about the harsh suspensions on our side - given McHugh out as well. 

Edinburgh would have been more sensible a venue, although wouldn't have fancied playing Motherwell on Tynecastle's tiny pitch.  Any notion that Hampden is some kind of special experience went out the window a long time ago, especially for lunchtime kick-offs.

3 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Must admit I’m a bit old fashioned in that I think the national stadium should be saved for the final and semis should be at another neutral venue.

The problem in Scotland is the lack of stadiums fit for the purpose. They can’t really have an old firm semi final at a neutral venue other than hampden that can hold the demand.

Appreciate the well fans thoughts on it being like a home game for us in Edinburgh and that’s probably fair enough but the league cup semi final in 2014 is one of the best matches I’ve ever attended. Atmosphere was as good as I’ve ever experienced with the dons

I've always been of that opinion, although I come from an era when that was (usually) the case. I've a feeling the Dons' semi-final against Rangers in the League Cup in 1966 may have been at Hampden.

4 hours ago, welldaft said:

There is no way that we will take more than 10,000 to a semi final at Hampden at lunchtime and on terrestrial TV.

1 hour ago, lubo_blaha said:

I see the Dons have been allocated the West Stand, we must be above the Well Bhoys on the Hampden staunch-scale.

Where are you getting this from? I haven't seen anything yet.

7 hours ago, MJC said:

Aberdonians are naturally pessimistic and miserable. As am I admittedly, when it comes to Motherwell FC. 

Aberdeen and everything about it is a special brand of miserable though. Horrible city, horrible people with a horrible attitude and a horrible accent.

You sound fat 

Are you fat?

Tanner ? McHugh ?
Are these real names of real people, or are they just made up names ?

I had honestly never heard of Tanner, then I read he had 9 goals and 8 assists this season.

So looking for crumbs of comfort that the key players who will be unavailable for this match has now levelled out a bit (albeit in unfortunate circumstances for the player).

2 hours ago, tarapoa said:

I had honestly never heard of Tanner, then I read he had 9 goals and 8 assists this season.

So looking for crumbs of comfort that the key players who will be unavailable for this match has now levelled out a bit (albeit in unfortunate circumstances for the player).

There was a boy with a foreign name, possibly Japanese, playing for you this week, what is his story, where does he fit in?

12 hours ago, ropy said:

There was a boy with a foreign name, possibly Japanese, playing for you this week, what is his story, where does he fit in?

I can only presume you mean Chidi Nwakali, who is Nigerian (not far from Japan).

On loan from Man City and played in the Norwegian top flight last season.  He livened us up quite a bit in extra time on Tuesday - had his standard woeful shot, but then followed that up with a pearler that was heading into the top corner for a late winner until a good save by the Kilmarnock keeper.

He'll almost certainly play in the semi-final given our midfield absences.

12 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

I can only presume you mean Chidi Nwakali, who is Nigerian (not far from Japan).

On loan from Man City and played in the Norwegian top flight last season.  He livened us up quite a bit in extra time on Tuesday - had his standard woeful shot, but then followed that up with a pearler that was heading into the top corner for a late winner until a good save by the Kilmarnock keeper.

:lol: Aye, well they're both foreign places...

1 hour ago, tarapoa said:

I think I had read it as Nawakali which would be a fine Japanese name, hadn’t heard of him before

Archived